How the Democratic Party Lost Their Way on (Illegal) Immigration

Cue everyone on the left to tell us how beneficial illegal immigrants are. Such BS.

Not to be confused with legal immigrants, who are a huge benefit to the country.

(and note that Obama did deport a fuckload of immigrants)

This is a good point. But much like Obama's very succesful bombing runs, the Dems and the MSM didn't report it. Obama did a lot of stuff that Neo-Cons would love if they had only been told about it. But the Dems and the establishment were far too secretive and disigenuous and so any good will Obama may havve earned with the right was lost.

lmao I read "a decade ago" as 1990s but then it said "in 2005"....boy do I feel old. 2005 still feels like yesterday. It's amazing how times changed so quick...

hahha barack obama...

It's great to see how their "views" changed based on politics. They can go either way. As long as it opposes the other side it's good for their side. And the people eats it up. This is why having parties are bad. We need to get rid of these idiotic sides and parties and just have 1 group. Then you can have different people stand for different issues.

But right now, if you're democrat, you best be voting for whatever the dems are voting and against whatever the repubs are voting. So childish and idiotic. America will only go backwards like this.

Yet Obama voted in favor of immigration reform in 2006 when Bush was trying to get that shit passed through congress.

Democrats being against illegal immigration isnt a flip-flop, Democrats are pro-LEGAL immigration.

And when i say pro-LEGAL immigration as in really pro-LEGAL immigration, not claiming you care about legality of immigration but oppose any type of immigration reform that could lead to more brown US citizens.

Cue everyone on the left to tell us how beneficial illegal immigrants are. Such BS.

Not to be confused with legal immigrants, who are a huge benefit to the country.

Indeed, so when there are talks about expanding legal immigration while enforcing measures against legal immigrations, its always the opposition from people who live on states where there is little immigration.

This is a good point. But much like Obama's very succesful bombing runs, the Dems and the MSM didn't report it. Obama did a lot of stuff that Neo-Cons would love if they had only been told about it. But the Dems and the establishment were far too secretive and disigenuous and so any good will Obama may havve earned with the right was lost.

Obama played the republican "Secure the border first and then lets talk about immigration reform".

Little did Obama knew that Republicans have absolutely no word or integrity whatsoever.

It's not that Democrats agreed with Republicans though.
George W. Bush promoted ideas which many would describe as 'open border policies' today.
Basically said that every person, independent from nationality, who wants to work in the US should be able to work there as long as somebody employs them.
Of course later there were the 9'11 attacks and politicians, not exclusively but also Democrats were worried about radical Islamic terrorism among other things.
Economically I think policies which are closer to open borders + some further adjustments make more sense than the status quo + extremely strict federal immigration laws.

Open borders brings identity, culture, great food and a great economy to a country. Especially to countries with a high number of cultureless Europeans.

It's great to see how their "views" changed based on politics.

I don't think that's an observation as much as an assumption. Certainly, he didn't make the case, and he did acknowledge that there are good, non-political reasons that people would have changed their positions. What would be interesting is an attempt to explain why people *would not* update their views based on changing facts. That would require more thought.

I absolutely believe that America has become the great nation that it is today because of all people from all around the world coming to the U.S to start a new life in the last 300 years, they contributed the best values that their culture have to offer to their new adopted homeland, while eagerly willing to ingrate into the melting pot by leaving the incompatible (and often-time illegal) ideas & practices behind. I also believe the Federal government has the authority to determine who can immigrate to the U.S, and the States government should prosecute those who breaks immigration laws, not to reward them.

In the last two decades, we have been approving over A MILLION immigration/refugee applications every single year for people who wants to join our great nation, and the vast majority of them have quickly assimilated into the fabric of U.S society. I'd like to see that to continue, and I despises the crazy "multicultural" loons today who are now spitting on that by being adamantly against integration ("the American melting pot" is microaggression, really?), protecting criminals who knowingly breaking the law ("Sanctuary cities"), or outrage at the mere notion of a secure national border, as they insisting that countries around the world needs to take the next step and pushes for a borderless society.

It'll never cease to amaze me how this idiocy about integration and assimilation gets repeated over and over again. For the billionth time:

Newest Immigrants Assimilating as Fast as Previous Ones, Report Says

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/22/...ilating-as-well-as-past-ones-report-says.html

I have a strong suspicion that these people have a different view of "integration." To them, it shouldn't be so much about taking in the host society's language, customs and culture, but rather shedding their old one and, if possible, being hostile to it.

Speaking and understanding English isn't enough, you should forget Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, whatever. Be embarrassed by it and reject it as much as you can. That way I don't have to see a sign in another language or listen to Spanish music on the radio while I'm looking for the country station.

In other words, pure emotion and feels. Right wingers gonna right wing, I guess.

The real conversation about trumps muslim ban, should have been that the top sponsors of ISIS, AQ, AN, AKA Sunni terror groups, were not in the ban.

It was a list of Iranian and Syrian allies. Hezbollah is Israel's problem, not ours.

No one is talking about a new Persian empire. We do not have an Islam problem, we have a gulf state funded Wahhabi Salafist problem.

Please, if you are going to rant about the insanity of our policy on "terror", I ask that you understand, neither side is telling the truth.

You rant about liberal hypocrisy on islam, which is true, but you ignore that the people that have attacked the US, are from Saudi arabia, UAE, morrocco, qatar, ECT.

The Sunni triangle was the deadliest part iraq, not the Iranian influenced Shiite areas, and definitely not the Kurdish area.

None of the gulf states are on trumps travel ban.

That is just as insane, as the liberals insanity.

My bad, @Arkain2K. Not thread hi-jacking. I won't respond to any rebuttals. It is a good article. People should read it.
I think Trump's travel ban should have made sure to ban all Muslims from any country. But at least it was a start. And his ban should never have been blocked by the liberal court justices.

It'll never cease to amaze me how this idiocy about integration and assimilation gets repeated over and over again. For the billionth time:

Newest Immigrants Assimilating as Fast as Previous Ones, Report Says

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/22/...ilating-as-well-as-past-ones-report-says.html

I have a strong suspicion that these people have a different view of "integration." To them, it shouldn't be so much about taking in the host society's language, customs and culture, but rather shedding their old one and, if possible, being hostile to it.

Speaking and understanding English isn't enough, you should forget Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, whatever. Be embarrassed by it and reject it as much as you can. That way I don't have to see a sign in another language or listen to Spanish music on the radio while I'm looking for the country station.

In other words, pure emotion and feels. Right wingers gonna right wing, I guess.

Exactly you guys. Diversity is strength in case you didn't know.

Obama played the republican "Secure the border first and then lets talk about immigration reform".

Little did Obama knew that Republicans have absolutely no word or integrity whatsoever.

That is another key point here. Democrats explicitly reject open borders, they get in power and do a better job of enforcing border security than Republicans had been, and then Republicans say that Democrats are for open borders anyway, and "liberals" in the media argue that Democrats should try not being for open borders.

You know its just sad at this point in all honesty.

I said this a few days ago, and I'll say it again now. I really need someone from the left to stand up and explain what their beliefs are. Not just for immigration. I'm talking everything. The economy, foreign policy, the military, ISIS, trade, international affairs, etc. Because everything that I have seen that are considered "liberal values" either changes from day to day depending on what sounds good or is completely and utterly nonsensical.

The most hilarious one is their continued support of Islam. Liberals preach gay rights ( I believe in this and I am republican). Liberals preach women rights ( I believe in this). Liberals preach equal rights for everyone and freedom of religion ( I believe in this)

Yet you defend a religion that LITERALLY is against all of this.......IT MAKES NO SENSE.

And as for immigration. Its kinda funny how we all tried to make Trumps ban about race when it really was about common sense. Your at war with ISIS who has a heavy presence in every country Trump wanted restrictions on but the reason Trump wanted these restrictions was because he's racist right guys? Nothing to do with common sense right, oh no.

And if you need further proof look at how fucked Europe has become. Open borders baby!

Your post is spot on and one of the biggest reasons Democrats keep losing elections. Moderates and traditional Democrats have left the party due to extreme retardation of the current Democratic party. It's crazy.

About the only thing that kept this article from perfection is the Professor Peter Beinart neglected to mention about the notorious false-equivalency constantly being perpetuated by the Democratic Party about supporting an orderly and robust immigration process in accordance with American law means you're "anti-immigrants".

That's about as fucked up as "supporting legal prescription drugs means you're anti-medication", but the crazies kept repeating it as if it actually make any sense.

I absolutely believe that America has become the great nation that it is today because of all people from all around the world coming to the U.S to start a new life in the last 300 years, they contributed the best values that their culture have to offer to their new adopted homeland, while eagerly willing to ingrate into the melting pot by leaving the incompatible (and often-time illegal) ideas & practices behind. I also believe the Federal government has the authority to determine who can immigrate to the U.S, and the States government should prosecute those who breaks immigration laws, not to reward them.

In the last two decades, we have been approving over A MILLION immigration/refugee applications every single year for people who wants to join our great nation, and the vast majority of them have quickly assimilated into the fabric of U.S society. I'd like to see that to continue, and I despises the crazy "multicultural" loons today who are now spitting on that by being adamantly against integration ("the American melting pot" is microaggression, really?), protecting criminals who knowingly breaking the law ("Sanctuary cities"), or outrage at the mere notion of a secure national border, as they insisting that countries around the world needs to take the next step and pushes for a borderless society.
I really echo this sentiment. I'm far from pro-open borders, but I don't want a closed border either. Being forced to choose between two extreme options is a false dilemma.

We should control our own border as much as possible, and to a much greater extent than we do now. And then let's let folks in who are willing to constructively participate in our society.

The biggest flaw here is the misreading of the economic data and the impact of that on positions. As I've said many times, there are positives and negatives to immigration impacts on labor markets, and no *logical* way to identify how it balances out. You have to look at the evidence, which as he says, is mixed but never shows a large impact and generally shows a positive one. He also acknowledges and then quickly moves past the major change in the situation--from one with rapidly rising illegal immigration to one where illegal immigration has been slowly but steadily declining for over a decade (and note that Obama did deport a fuckload of immigrants). And he doesn't get into the changing composition of immigrants (a much higher portion of immigrants in the past several years have been high-skilled immigrants). I could go on (some issues with his representation of Putnam's work, for example).

Lol. There's a reason the author writes for a major publication and makes decent money doing it while you write on a fucking MMA website. You're not as smart as you think you are. He writes an article that spans 3 pages and you write a single paragraph claiming how much smarter you are than him yet end you're post with "I could go on...". Translation: I don't have shit but I'll manipulate the discussion and pretend I do.

Of course, you have a pussy like @Possum Jenkins who likes your shitty post because he's too stupid to articulate his own argument.

Lol. There's a reason the author writes for a major publication and makes decent money doing it while you write on a fucking MMA website.

Hmm. Pretty sure we make about the same money, not that it matters (Sean Hannity makes way the fuck more than either of us, and he's an idiot).

You're not as smart as you think you are. He writes an article that spans 3 pages and you write a single paragraph claiming how much smarter you are than him yet end you're post with "I could go on...". Translation: I don't have shit but I'll manipulate the discussion and pretend I do.

I made my points. If you see any flaw in them, point them out. Otherwise, it just sounds like you're bitter about nothing in particular.

Of course, you have a pussy like @Possum Jenkins who likes your shitty post because he's too stupid to articulate his own argument.

I've triggered people with my posts before but this may be the first time I trigger someone with a like

tenor.gif

I've triggered people with my posts before but this may be the first time I trigger someone with a like

tenor.gif

It's funny because I've never seen him post before, but his name shows up in "likes" a lot (basically, whenever a right-winger expresses anger). I wonder if my "liking" this post will piss him off even more.

Back