How surprised are you gonna be if Ferguson dominates Khabib for 5 rounds?

This is the kind of vague "analysis" I was complaining about in the first place...

And this is the type of analysis with specific examples of how fighters' skills actually matchup that you should be doing.
Complain but fails to make one of your own??? I see. Well, thanks for "sharing" your complaints anyways.

No that's not to make a prediction on the fight. It's just to ask what is considered "top competition".

Like I said Ferg utilizes his cardio and toughness as an asset better than anyone in the sport. It's by design. I agree he tends to give away early parts of fights in order to force his opponents to use a lot of energy.

LOL at the eye poke. An eye poke doesn't make you all of a sudden look like you are wearing cement shoes and noticeably slow in every single form of movement. Mexico City altitude and a guy who keeps coming forward forcing you to expend energy does that. Please don't use that pathetic eye poke excuse, it's tired, old, and just beneath any level of realistic dialogue.

It's another factor. And a significant one in a fight where the winner won by a single round I would say it was significant.

Cement shoes and slow in every form of movement is absolutely by far an exaggeration.

Yes Ferg uses his chin and cardio as an asset. But what if his opponent doesn't slow down? Or what if his opponent paces themselves at a pace they know they can fight for 5 rounds? What if his chin finally gives out from cutting so much weight and getting wobbled pretty hard or cracked pretty hard rather often?

My point is there is a big gap in skill between him and the top lightweights. He fills that gap with cardio and toughness and when fighters figure out how to negate that cardio and toughness like Diaz he will be beaten alot more regularly.

I feel Khabib fight is going to be that fight. The blueprint to beating him is shaping up more and more with each fight he has and Khabib is watching and learning. I believe Fergs willingness to give up dominant position on the ground and his habit of waiting until his opponent gasses will lose him the fight.

It's another factor. And a significant one in a fight where the winner won by a single round I would say it was significant.

Cement shoes and slow in every form of movement is absolutely by far an exaggeration.

Yes Ferg uses his chin and cardio as an asset. But what if his opponent doesn't slow down? Or what if his opponent paces themselves at a pace they know they can fight for 5 rounds? What if his chin finally gives out from cutting so much weight and getting wobbled pretty hard or cracked pretty hard rather often?

My point is there is a big gap in skill between him and the top lightweights. He fills that gap with cardio and toughness and when fighters figure out how to negate that cardio and toughness like Diaz he will be beaten alot more regularly.

I feel Khabib fight is going to be that fight. The blueprint to beating him is shaping up more and more with each fight he has and Khabib is watching and learning. I believe Fergs willingness to give up dominant position on the ground and his habit of waiting until his opponent gasses will lose him the fight.

I've watched RDA/Ferg probably 5-6 times (I bet a lot of MMA-normally post in the betting thread) and RDA is already slowing a little BEFORE the eye poke. It's not that he has bad cardio, Mexico City was doing that to everyone. Except Tony. RDA was way, WAY slower just 11 minutes into that fight than he was early on. He looked like a guy who'd hit a wall, while Ferg somehow INCREASED his output.

And you have to realize, the pressing forward that he does is by design to FORCE opponents to NOT BE ABLE TO PACE THEMSELVES. He's always coming forward, trusting his chin, MAKING guys fight him on his terms. The downside for him is that he takes damage. The upside is he forces guys to fight a high energy fight and they can't match his pace, they wilt.

There isn't a "big gap" in skills. That's you ignoring that he WANTS his fights to play out the way they do for the most part. Yeah he could be more conservative and showcase what you consider "skills" more probably, but then he's not forcing his opponents to tax their own gas tanks. He's talked about this multiple times. Fight after fight he does the same thing to guys, riding an incredible win streak, but somehow you attribute it to "waiting for guys to gas". Which is stupid. He's MAKING them gas.

Now, as I've said, this isn't a sustainable way to fight if you want a really long career. His chin will give out at some point, his body may break down earlier than some other guys. But that's not happening now.

Khabib may well win. I think this fight is close to even, and Khabib brings things to the table that are a nightmare to deal with. Ferg may get trapped under Khabib in a spot he can't get out of. He tends to take chances on the mat that (as you said) can lead to him giving up dominant positions. He may need to play a more conservative bottom game than normal, making Khabib work like a dog for every inch, playing more defense. Forcing Khabib to work more in his full guard (easier said than done, but Ferg is capable if he doesn't take too many chances) and throwing elbows off his back.

But Ferg brings things Khabib hasn't seen either. An endless gas tank, possibly the best the sport has ever seen. The ability to also sustain damage without it affecting his output afterwards. A tricky striking game that comes from odd angles. Insanely long arms that can get the neck more easily than other guys.

Pretty damn surprised. Tony has a sneaky BJJ game off his back, but I just don't think it'll be enough to stop Khabib. I actually think Khabib wins by GNP TKO.

How is that even possible Khabib's not much of a finisher against a guy who fought two rounds with a broken arm to decision. Ate head kicks and all sorts of hard shots his career and never been stopped. Only in serious trouble once to a head kick he was moving into. Odds should be like 1 in 50 Khabib wins by finish unless Herb is ref or something I just dont see it.

Basing that on Ferguson nearly being stopped by both Lee and Lando

How is that even possible Khabib's not much of a finisher against a guy who fought two rounds with a broken arm to decision. Ate head kicks and all sorts of hard shots his career and never been stopped. Only in serious trouble once to a head kick he was moving into. Odds should be like 1 in 50 Khabib wins by finish unless Herb is ref or something I just dont see it.

All 5 rounds? Pretty shocked. That's not how Ferguson usually fights.

What wouldn't shock me is Khabib puts in work for two rounds and is then sucking wind like Dada 5000 getting chased by pitbulls for a few miles. At that point, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Ferguson takes over and kicks his ass the rest of the way.

Basing that on Ferguson nearly being stopped by both Lee and Lando

He wasn't "nearly" stopped by either. Lee got mount and was doing good work, but notice when the round ends, Tony pops right up like he'd just been laying on his couch. No damage, not tired, was just waiting for the round to end.

Lando hit him with a damn good head kick, and that did hurt Tony. He tries to say he wasn't hurt, but he was. Thing is, it was for like 1 second and he was already scrambling and getting back into the fight as he basically hit the ground.

Tony takes damage no doubt, but he's never really been close to getting finished.

Not at all. Khabib is just a one dimensional lay and pray artist.

I beg to differ. Agree to disagree.

He wasn't "nearly" stopped by either. Lee got mount and was doing good work, but notice when the round ends, Tony pops right up like he'd just been laying on his couch. No damage, not tired, was just waiting for the round to end.

Lando hit him with a damn good head kick, and that did hurt Tony. He tries to say he wasn't hurt, but he was. Thing is, it was for like 1 second and he was already scrambling and getting back into the fight as he basically hit the ground.

Tony takes damage no doubt, but he's never really been close to getting finished.

Is that you trying to say Ferg is the better fighter or will win that fight based on MMAth?

And no Tibau isn't top comp. Even when 23 year old Khabib fought him before Khabib knew how to adequately use the cage to aid his grappling, before Khabib went to AKA.

Tony has struggled with every top fighter he has ever faced. Losing 2 rounds to RDA after an eye poke, being pieced up by Barboza before the upkick then gassed, and Lee of all people out striking Ferg handily until he gassed as well as out grappling him.

You're just hating bringing up fouls of Tony and not bringing up fouls against him like Lee eye poking him or Barboza kicking him in the nuts. Fouls happen the difference is Tony still wins.

BTW RDA did better after the eye poke he won rd 3 according to judges eye poke was rd 2. so thats a sorry excuse anyway.

If Tony catches Khabib standing(more likely) or locks in a flash sub(less likely) I wouldn't be too surprised.

If Tony dominated Khabib standing and on the ground in a 1 sided decision, id be shocked.

Wont be surprised at all because im expecting him to win

I think Tony has a better shot at beating Khabib than what some are saying, but I would be very surprised if he dominates for 25 minutes. It’s a 50/50 for me.

Mildly. I think Ferg has the best chance to beat Khabib at 155. It won't be an easy task though.

Jarl

Is that you trying to say Ferg is the better fighter or will win that fight based on MMAth?

And no Tibau isn't top comp. Even when 23 year old Khabib fought him before Khabib knew how to adequately use the cage to aid his grappling, before Khabib went to AKA.

Tony has struggled with every top fighter he has ever faced. Losing 2 rounds to RDA after an eye poke, being pieced up by Barboza before the upkick then gassed, and Lee of all people out striking Ferg handily until he gassed as well as out grappling him.
Tony is a beast and you are sleeping on him. Hes went through nothing but killers and is on a long ass winning streak. Nobody has an answer for him. Barboza did ok but eventually got broken down, and he wasnt exactly just demolishing him on the feet tony was getting his shots in too. Tony is finishing almost everyone he faced and he is facing nothing but top fighters.

You're just hating bringing up fouls of Tony and not bringing up fouls against him like Lee eye poking him or Barboza kicking him in the nuts. Fouls happen the difference is Tony still wins.

BTW RDA did better after the eye poke he won rd 3 according to judges eye poke was rd 2. so thats a sorry excuse anyway.

Nah RDA won rds 1 and 2, though nearing the end of rd 2 Tony was starting to turn it up. RDA didn't really do any serious damage in the fight at all, but he did win the first 2 rounds. After that, it was all Tony. Rounds 3,4,5 were Tony just big brothering RDA.

That said, the eye poke is just a sad excuse and even those who bring it up know it. RDA's cardio didn't fail him due to him getting accidentally poked in the eye. Nobody takes the eye poke claim seriously anyway.

Nah RDA won rds 1 and 2, though nearing the end of rd 2 Tony was starting to turn it up. RDA didn't really do any serious damage in the fight at all, but he did win the first 2 rounds. After that, it was all Tony. Rounds 3,4,5 were Tony just big brothering RDA.

That said, the eye poke is just a sad excuse and even those who bring it up know it. RDA's cardio didn't fail him due to him getting accidentally poked in the eye. Nobody takes the eye poke claim seriously anyway.

I;m just saying what judges said 1 and 3 for RDA. Tony really won 2345 he out struck RDA 2:1 in each of those rounds but you know it goes RDA came on strong at end of RD 3 (well after eye poke) so they gave it to him.

Last edited:
It's going to be great.

I like how you guys ignore Khabibs cardio. I hope fergie does too.

Just know he chases people too and throws hands on hands on hands plus he can take a break as he gets Ferg to the ground.

It's going to be great.

I like how you guys ignore Khabibs cardio. I hope fergie does too.

Just know he chases people too and throws hands on hands on hands plus he can take a break as he gets Ferg to the ground.
I've never seen Khabib in a 5 round fight. I have seen Tony drown RDA (a cardio monster himself) in mexico city at 10,000 feet and look like he could go 5 more. Honestly it's inconceivable anyone has Tony's Cardio, especially with Khabib's body type. Not muscle bound but way more than Tony has which eats oxygen.

If Khabib wins it wont be outworking Tony it will be getting him in a position he cant escape, breaking his arm something like that.

Here is how I see it.

From what I gather Ferg has no real KO power all those fancy sound opens up Khabib takedowns.

On the ground Tony has Bjj I think Khabib knows what a submission is. Tony out wrestle Khabib has not likely. Tony elbows sure but again I think Khabib knows how to take those away.

Cardio Tony might be better but idk. Khabib throws hands back to back on the mat enormous cardio. Tony having to deal with Khabib strength and wrestling.

Wrestling is hel l on cardio ask Francis.

Back