How surprised are you gonna be if Ferguson dominates Khabib for 5 rounds?

Only person with a chance is someone with crisp boxing who can KO him before he gets that first takedown. Conor has the best chance out of anyone.

Or someone who's cardio is so good and who's good enough off their back to survive so they can take over late in the fight when they have more gas left in their tank.

Dominate? I'd be surprised. Win? Not so much. It all depends on if TF can keep it on the feet. We'll know the answer to the by the end of Rd. 1. ;)

I disagree. He's not Cowboy levels of slow starting but he does ease into that first round. His slow is just other people's mid pace. He rarely goes in hard off the bell.

I agree with the second part mostly. Tony will be competitive against any fresh fighter but he may not win the round.

I have yet to see Tony, since fighting top comp, beat up a non gassed fighter. He loses until they gas, every fight.

Tony will lose because Eddie Bravo is filling his head with nonsense.

i think Khabib is going to dominate and possibly break Tony, but i wouldn't be surprised if Tony TKOs khabib or catches him in a sub. I would be surprised if Tony is able to dominate the fight and not able to finish Khabib though.

I have yet to see Tony, since fighting top comp, beat up a non gassed fighter. He loses until they gas, every fight.

Guess it depends on your definition of "top competition". For example, Tibau arguably beat Khabib and stuffed every one of Khabib's takedown attempts (Khabib was maybe 0 for 9 or something). Tony wrecked Tibau inside a round.

I mean, I guess if you are only calling RDA, Barboza, and Lee "top competition" then yeah, Tony lost rd 1 of each of those fights. Not sure what exactly the definition you're using is though.

Guess it depends on your definition of "top competition". For example, Tibau arguably beat Khabib and stuffed every one of Khabib's takedown attempts (Khabib was maybe 0 for 9 or something). Tony wrecked Tibau inside a round.

I mean, I guess if you are only calling RDA, Barboza, and Lee "top competition" then yeah, Tony lost rd 1 of each of those fights. Not sure what exactly the definition you're using is though.

Is that you trying to say Ferg is the better fighter or will win that fight based on MMAth?

And no Tibau isn't top comp. Even when 23 year old Khabib fought him before Khabib knew how to adequately use the cage to aid his grappling, before Khabib went to AKA.

Tony has struggled with every top fighter he has ever faced. Losing 2 rounds to RDA after an eye poke, being pieced up by Barboza before the upkick then gassed, and Lee of all people out striking Ferg handily until he gassed as well as out grappling him.

Generally I'd agree. But Tony is a different type of fighter. That doesn't mean he doesn't have skills. I can breakdown how his front headlock to snapdown is maybe the best in the sport. Or how his unpredictable striking makes him so hard to train for. Etc. etc. But with Tony his cardio and toughness are attributes that he ACTIVELY utilizes in his gameplans. He's overly aggressive from the start, and forces guys to match it. This makes them expend energy. And he just knows his chin will hold up and that his gas tank is bigger than theirs. It's by design that he comes forward so aggressively. He forces guys into wars of attrition, whether they want one or not.
I perfectly understand that and it absolutely works for Tony. I just do not think that that is a reliable strategy against Khabib. Relying on your chin only lasts for so long and everyone's cardio has limits. Tony has skills for days and is good everywhere but the way he implements them is what causes him to have so much trouble early in fights. Being tough can't be your first and last defense forever.

So in Tony's case, toughness (and cardio) aren't necessarily supplementary. They are vital, intrical skills that he blends with his other skills to form his total package.

Rewatch Felder too. That choke was pretty tight, even he said it. A lot of guys tap. Was it also staying calm? Sure. But no doubt it was toughness too.
I agree that Tony does rely on his toughness and cardio to effectively implement his skill set. I just think their are some central flaws with it. Still Tony is a beast and has excelled so far. It'll be a close fight.

And yes toughness is part of what helped Felder but once again I think it was supplementary.

Is that you trying to say Ferg is the better fighter or will win that fight based on MMAth?

And no Tibau isn't top comp. Even when 23 year old Khabib fought him before Khabib knew how to adequately use the cage to aid his grappling, before Khabib went to AKA.

Tony has struggled with every top fighter he has ever faced. Losing 2 rounds to RDA after an eye poke, being pieced up by Barboza before the upkick then gassed, and Lee of all people out striking Ferg handily until he gassed as well as out grappling him.

No that's not to make a prediction on the fight. It's just to ask what is considered "top competition".

Like I said Ferg utilizes his cardio and toughness as an asset better than anyone in the sport. It's by design. I agree he tends to give away early parts of fights in order to force his opponents to use a lot of energy.

LOL at the eye poke. An eye poke doesn't make you all of a sudden look like you are wearing cement shoes and noticeably slow in every single form of movement. Mexico City altitude and a guy who keeps coming forward forcing you to expend energy does that. Please don't use that pathetic eye poke excuse, it's tired, old, and just beneath any level of realistic dialogue.

I perfectly understand that and it absolutely works for Tony. I just do not think that that is a reliable strategy against Khabib. Relying on your chin only lasts for so long and everyone's cardio has limits. Tony has skills for days and is good everywhere but the way he implements them is what causes him to have so much trouble early in fights. Being tough can't be your first and last defense forever.

I agree that Tony does rely on his toughness and cardio to effectively implement his skill set. I just think their are some central flaws with it. Still Tony is a beast and has excelled so far. It'll be a close fight.

And yes toughness is part of what helped Felder but once again I think it was supplementary.

I will also say that although it's insanely entertaining and works to perfection for what Tony tries to do, it's not exactly sustainable over a really long career. I have a feeling he may hit the wall sooner than some guys due to his style.

I will also say that although it's insanely entertaining and works to perfection for what Tony tries to do, it's not exactly sustainable over a really long career. I have a feeling he may hit the wall sooner than some guys due to his style.
100% agree

Tony isn’t one to really dominate. He tends to pick up the pace in the later rounds to win.

So Pumped!!! Anything can happen in the octagon. Tony could piece him up standing and hold his own on the ground... But Khabib and that ground and pound... Dude has bombs. Just ready to hear an excuse from Mcgregor to avoid the winner.

I wont because he wont. I still think he finishes khabib by tko in the 4th

You know what really, REALLY scares me leading up to this fight...

upload_2018-2-19_19-39-34.jpeg

If this fight is cancelled yet again, I will be SO freaking pissed.

People have been saying Khabib will dominate Ferguson, but they forget that he is a different kind of animal in terms of toughness and cardio.

How surprised are you gona be if the real LW champ Tony Ferguson completely dominates Khabib for 5 rounds?

hi-res-5371b90222d80e72c1731e15e7662280_crop_north.jpg

Thoughts?

ALOT

Back