How Strict is Eye Test for Pro License

TK (Taylor Kelly)

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't sure where this sort of post belongs.

I am new to MMA and started training MT about 4 months ago and just started training BJJ, MMA, and boxing recently now that I graduated college and have much more time. I eventually aspire to turn professional but noticed there is an eye test requirement.

I wanted some insight on how strict they are when conducting this? I like to think I'm only slightly nearsighted so maybe it won't be too big of a problem. I had fine vision my whole like until about 5 years ago I started having trouble seeing in the back of the classroom which is the only time I ever wear classes aside from sporting events and the movie theater. For reference, on google with the standard font size I can read about 44 inches from the screen but not at exactly 4 feet (48 in.). When I tested to get my new license last year I passed with flying colors for my left eye but actually failed the first time with my right eye. She luckily said maybe I needed some water and sun so I ran out to my car then she let me re-take it and I passed so I wouldn't need a glasses requirement to drive.

All-in-all I can train just fine so I don't worry about it but it would affect how long I would stay ammy depending on how strict the test is. I say this because when I first got glasses, I had the bare minimum prescription for nearsighted lens but my more recent appointment they said I could use the next one up. So essentially if my vision is decreasing, I would want to get the license as soon as possible if they were strict on the testing. If it isn't that strict then would probably want to fight 10 times before I would decide to make the move.

Thanks for your time and insight.

If I understand correctly, It's not really a vision test, unless you have severe nearsightedness. They are looking for vision disorders like detached retinas.

http://www.worldboxingfederation.net/articles/general-medical-guidelines.htm

(b) Physical Examination:

A complete physical examination shall be conducted. In making a decision as to whether or not a boxer is fit to box, the following factors shall be strictly adhered to:

(i) Eyes: The following conditions preclude boxing: Significant astigmatism, myopia greater than five (5) diopters or any variant of optic nerve degeneration, a (pre)retinal detachment, hemorrhage, or gross fundal pathology and the wearing of spectacles or contact lenses in the ring. Color blindness or a squint (strabismus) are not precluded from boxing, provided there is no double vision complaint. In the case of a squint or any questionable eye disorder, a certificate of approval for boxing competition should be obtained from an ophthalmologist.

Back