How solid is the theory of Evolution | Page 120

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Joe_Armstrong, Apr 2, 2018.

?

Do you believe Evolution Theory is correct ?

1. Yes

86.1%
  2. No

13.9%
  1. Rebound59 金繕い belt

Rebound59
    Well, that's really the circular part of the entire discussion isn't it? If you stick strictly to science, it is clear that what is commonly called "the theory of evolution" is the best explanation for what has been observed and it has made the best predictions, also confirmed. Therefore it is accepted as the consensus understanding of the history of life on Earth as we know it, subject to falsification if any evidence turns up that contradicts it; note that people have spent 1000's and 1000's of man-hours trying to falsify it and have failed thus far.

On the other hand, if you bring God into the discussion, we're no longer talking about science. As long as you don't wish to pass off divine intervention as science, you're welcome to believe or postulate whatever the fuck you want. Just keep it in the philosophy class. Once you turn from science to magic (no offense to God, but what else would you call it), all bets are off. I won't even judge an adherent of the flying spaghetti monster if it doesn't concern public policy or education. You can say God performed a pirouette and wiggled his nose and the Earth popped into existence fully formed. Just don't pretend it's science. The reason everyone is so convinced of evolution is partly because it is supported by evidence, but it's also partly because no one has found evidence to the contrary, which, believe me, would win you a Nobel Prize; so if you're really convinced it's not true, get cracking. It's worth about $1 million but the medal itself can sell for many times that.

StickAndMove, ShadBo and Grenz like this.
  2. jgarner Red Belt

jgarner
    It's just pure coincidence that when you line up all those fossils and organize them by date and region that you see a clear progression, transition and how they migrated across the globe. Just like it's pure coincidence that genetics shows a clear progression.

[​IMG]

3. oleDirtyBast4rd Red Belt

oleDirtyBast4rd
    Edited:never mind lol I'm not getting into this today lol

4. jgarner Red Belt

jgarner
    This is you huh?

[​IMG]

You shouldn't get into this today or any other day because you just sound like a dumb fuck or a troll to every rational person on the board.

You want to say there isn't enough evidence, but for some reason I'd bet that you think a Middle Eastern savage was killed and resurrected a few thousand years ago because some other middle Eastern savages wrote down in a book saying it happened.

Rebound59 likes this.
  5. oleDirtyBast4rd Red Belt

oleDirtyBast4rd
    Bro nobody is forcing you to talk to me. You can join the others who refuse to discuss it with me and prefer ad hominems. I'll either mock you back or just ignore you. Either way, what's the point? Do you come here just to bitch and moan and call people silly names?

6. oleDirtyBast4rd Red Belt

oleDirtyBast4rd
    @StickAndMove @Senzo Tanaka

Prolly gonna take a few days off the topic as replying to several people over a few days has left me a bit oversaturated lol. I appreciate you guys and didnt want you to think I was avoiding the topic.

StickAndMove likes this.
  7. jgarner Red Belt

jgarner
    Haha you're going to mock me back? How do you plan on doing that? Oh look at that guy who believes in reason and scientific scrutiny over my ancient magic book!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

[​IMG]

8. TheComebackKid Titanium Belt

TheComebackKid
    Translation: Evolution is real because a bunch of people said so and thats totally not like a religion at all

tramendous likes this.
  9. jgarner Red Belt

jgarner
    Actual Translation: Evolution is real because all of the evidence from several branches of science point to it being true and there's not one piece of evidence pointing to the contrary. It's true because the evidence points to it being true, which is completely unlike religion which is believed to be true by idiots because it was written down in an old book.

That's like saying gravity is a religion or calculus is a religion. No, they are facts supported by every piece of evidence we have. Every religion in the world is unsupported by facts.

You're either the dumbest person alive or the second dumbest.

10. Teen Wolf Baked

Teen Wolf
    [​IMG]

StickAndMove and jgarner like this.
  11. Rebound59 金繕い belt

Rebound59
    And when you get come back I will still be waiting on a response to my post up above. I'm interested to hear what you can point to in that post that is in any way inaccurate or unfounded.

I'm also interested to hear why it is so difficult for some people to understand that most of us have no problem with the idea that evolution is almost certainly the right interpretation of the evidence, while at the same time understanding there is a chance, however remote, that evidence could turn up tomorrow that falsifies the theory, at least in part*. So the word "believe" only enters into it in so far as I and others "believe" the theory to be the correct interpretation of the evidence based upon many correct predictions and logic. But this is not a belief in the same sense of a belief based upon faith. It can be tested. It can be disproved. Belief in God cannot.

Permit me to go off topic a bit and add a bit about falsifying a theory. Even if you don't know what they are, you've all heard of Newton's 3 laws of motion. His theory of motion was thought to be correct for about 300 years, because it was the best explanation anyone had and because it appeared to be totally accurate. It was accurate enough to send a rocket to the moon. But then along came better technology, and exceptions began to turn up in Newton's "Laws". For example, Mercury was observed to have an anomaly in its orbit that couldn't be explained within the theory.

Einstein's thought experiments about the nature of light and motion at speeds close to that of light turned up additional holes in Newton's theory. It was clearly really close to correct since it was such a successful theory for hundreds of years, but because of the discrepancies, it couldn't be the true explanation. Einstein introduces a limit to the speed of light and changes the description of gravity, and blammo! Problem solved. So, Newton is not completely invalidated. It's just been updated to correct bugs, in software terms. As of now, 100 years after Einstein, we're super confident his is the correct explanation for what we see because it has made so many predictions, some of them really wacky, that to this day are confirmed to be correct one after another after another. The recent LIGO detection of gravitational waves is just one of a number of huuuuge predictions to have been proved correct.

All this is to say that Evolution shares a similar history and it has been equally successful at predicting what we will find when we examine DNA or probe deep into the Earth. The reason it is taken as a given these days is that it has been successful over and over.

StickAndMove and ShadBo like this.
  12. Senzo Tanaka Silver Belt

Senzo Tanaka
    I'll give a little lesson on how natural selection is possible and how it works in hopefully layman's terms using doggies.

[​IMG]

These are both dogs. Both are related to wolves and are the cousins of all dogs. Like natural selection with evolution, we can take a dog and selectively breed favorable traits while letting unfavorable traits die out. The wide selection of dogs in every shape, size and color you see is done through artificial selection. It's the exactly same thing natural selection is doing albeit it for adaptation and survival.

Just looking at that picture, you can see how radically different two animals of the same species can be. A lot of these breeds took only 100s of years to develop. Now imagine letting this occur over millions and billions of years and you can imagine just how powerful and diverse natural selection can be.

StickAndMove and Rebound59 like this.
  13. tramendous Red Belt

tramendous
    Can we turn dogs into not dogs (i.e. evolve to another animal)?

I do believe in evolution btw

14. Senzo Tanaka Silver Belt

Senzo Tanaka
    We could through isolation and time which is a component of natural selection. If you take that tiny little dog and allow them to only breed with other tiny dogs of the same type, the prediction of natural selection is that they will become their own species and would then be unable to breed with other dogs. It might take 100s, 1000s or millions of years. The DNA doesn't lie though.

Time is the biggest problem with explaining evolution because of people can't see it with their own eyes, they don't want to believe it.

15. Rebound59 金繕い belt

Rebound59
    I would add that the plethora of issues that certain breeds have with their health shows that evolution is not seeking any better or best condition for the species. It has no will to make an animal "better". Undesirable traits will not be selected out unless they are severe enough to hamper getting laid and reproducing. It's why we have so many diseases that only kick in when you are (presumably) past the age of creating new offspring. It doesn't matter any more to evolution how sick you get. You had your chance to reproduce, and if you took advantage of it, you may have passed on a vulnerability to certain conditions that, in the case of divine intervention as a creation mechanism, just seem unnecessarily cruel.

StickAndMove and Senzo Tanaka like this.
  16. StickAndMove Brown Belt

StickAndMove
    It's like talking to a wall with you. Blah blah blah I'm not listening...:rolleyes:

17. StickAndMove Brown Belt

StickAndMove
    With dogs though it's not technically natural selection. Since humans are the ones doing the selecting you can have a breed that wouldn't even be able to reproduce in the wild. If I'm not mistaken, all Norfolk/Norwich terriers need c-sections, since the bitches are too small to give birth naturally.

Senzo Tanaka likes this.
  18. TheComebackKid Titanium Belt

TheComebackKid
    A very insightful, knowledgeable, and thoughtful wall perhaps

19. hillelslovak87 Silver Belt

hillelslovak87
    Never play tennis with a wall, they're relentless.

StickAndMove likes this.
  20. Married...With Boxing White Belt

Married...With Boxing
    Better question: Should we all just try to rocket ourselves into outer space because we have to prove the Earth is flat? I say ''Sure.''