How receptive are you to people's advice/observations

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
when training/sparring with people, if they point out something they saw when sparring you or observing you spar; are you generally receptive to what they say , are u willing to at least consider their position..stance.. opinion.

If your a coach, are you receptive to observations made by other coaches or fighters, or do you just dismiss any and all things that don't come from you and your team.

i feel u can learn or glean info from anyone..

Very.
Whenever I receive shots, I give back.

But srly, very. Listening is a skill. Ego trips are bad for your growth.

I am willing to take advice from just about anyone, as long as they know what they are talking about and arent just spewing nonsense.

Usually very receptive when the feedback is genuine. When it's a guy I just handled trying to tell me all the ways he COULD have kicked my ass I don't pay as much attention.

Usually very receptive when the feedback is genuine. When it's a guy I just handled trying to tell me all the ways he COULD have kicked my ass I don't pay as much attention.
Even if I kicked their ass, if their point is valid I would still listen. It could simple things they notice like keeping hands up or whatever. I know I have a shit ton of bad habits. I love it when someone points out my bad habits.

i am open to a discussion, i like to see things from different perspectives; whether i agree or not, i like to know what people are seeing and how that impacts how they approach me.

if i understand their line of logic, then it sets me up to be better prepared when training/sparring with others.

its funny how people train for 5-6mths and consider themselves experts

Even if I kicked their ass, if their point is valid I would still listen. It could simple things they notice like keeping hands up or whatever. I know I have a shit ton of bad habits. I love it when someone points out my bad habits.

That's the thing. A lot of the time you'll whoop a guy and he'll start making excuses and giving advice that isn't meant to be advice, it's just for him to save ego. I don't pay as much attention to that because it isn't genuine. If I beat a guy and he has real feedback I'm open to it.

That's the thing. A lot of the time you'll whoop a guy and he'll start making excuses and giving advice that isn't meant to be advice, it's just for him to save ego. I don't pay as much attention to that because it isn't genuine. If I beat a guy and he has real feedback I'm open to it.

i try to make it a point to share my outlook w/people i spar; some people accept it some people blow it off. Whether they get the better of me or not, there are things i pick up on i will share it and i appreciate it.

ex-i sparred this guy early in a session, lit him up..jabs to the body leg kicks...body kicks from southpay..1/2..lead right.

we spar a second time, it starts off similarly; then it changes, i start getting into exchanges and losing them, got touched up in the pocket a bit.

afterwards i ask him what he saw, cus i noticed how he made an adjustment whhere i couldn't feint or bait him. He said i just got tired of being counterpunched, so i made you lead. An the way u position your hands and ur stance is harder to deal w/at range more so than inside..so once i stopped chasing or trying to get back when u scored. I was better able to counter u, get u into exchanges and get the exchanges at the range to exploit your stance/positioning

i try to make it a point to share my outlook w/people i spar; some people accept it some people blow it off. Whether they get the better of me or not, there are things i pick up on i will share it and i appreciate it.

Me too.
This last time, I was sparring a guy who was like pro level. He was good but he was making some elementary mistakes.
So next time I came prepared. When he started lighting me up the next time, I quickly stopped everything and explained to him how the coefficient of the angle of his feet juxtaposed on the alignment of his clavicles could be significantly improved by just aligning his coccyx with his flatulence. He looked confused but I was ready......boy, was I ready !
I immediately whipped out the assorted slides and presentation I had brought with me and gave an exhaustive 40 minute presentation on the concept mentioned. I then finished up with a 30 person musical ensemble complete with fake rain and twirling umbrellas.
It was magnificent.

I have to stop sparring ppl better with me. Costs too much.This was the 3rd time this year. Wife's pissed at the extra bills. It cuts into her budget for when she has to "share" at her golf club.

yeah as long as its not during the sparring session. This guy came at me and threw a bunch of punches, then I went to the body and he starts telling me how I'm not angling my fists right and stops, and I just keeping coming forward like "comon man we're in the middle of a spar." I noticed he allways went hardcore on the smaller guys but always ran away from me, kaleb starnes vs nate quarry style. Another time the buzzer rings and a newer guy is like smiling and says " hands u--" boom boom, I hit him with a one two without even thinking. I felt bad about it.

Last edited:
Always receptive to people's advice as long as I know it's genuine and I know that they are competent. Tbh if I see someone doing something better than me or someone with vastly more experience than me I don't really hesitate to get advise & feedback off of them - usually I straight up ask. Some of the most significant improves I've made have come from asking guys with more experience how they do x or y technique or even learning the tactics that they employ to get the better of me in a spar. One example I often use is doubling up on kicks if someone retreats backward in a straight line from you - seems obvious but isn't really apparent and you don't often see many people doubling up on kicks in that scenario - if at all. Unless of course you run into someone experienced who's learnt that & employed from many many years of training.

Whether I'm better than them or they're better than me doesn't really come into the equation. People have various strengths - someone might not be better than you but might be
able to pull of x technique better than you can & in a way you might not encounter with other people. They may also not be as technically good but tactically on point.

As for whether I take on that advice - it depends on whether it fits to what I already do tactically, strategically & with whatever weapons I like to employ.

If it doesn't fit or negates strengths I have or doesn't fit in well with what I do then I don't take it on board. But I always try to put the advice to the test in sparring before making a decision on whether I feel this is a useful addition or something that I might not be able to incorporate as effectively.

I rely on it. It is very easy to slip into bad habits. Unless you got big mirrors in your gym, it is hard to notice those bad habits forming. Others can see me and help me to focus on better technique.

Always receptive to people's advice as long as I know it's genuine and I know that they are competent. Tbh if I see someone doing something better than me or someone with vastly more experience than me I don't really hesitate to get advise & feedback off of them - usually I straight up ask. Some of the most significant improves I've made have come from asking guys with more experience how they do x or y technique or even learning the tactics that they employ to get the better of me in a spar. One example I often use is doubling up on kicks if someone retreats backward in a straight line from you - seems obvious but isn't really apparent and you don't often see many people doubling up on kicks in that scenario - if at all. Unless of course you run into someone experienced who's learnt that & employed from many many years of training.

Whether I'm better than them or they're better than me doesn't really come into the equation. People have various strengths - someone might not be better than you but might be
able to pull of x technique better than you can & in a way you might not encounter with other people. They may also not be as technically good but tactically on point.

As for whether I take on that advice - it depends on whether it fits to what I already do tactically, strategically & with whatever weapons I like to employ.

If it doesn't fit or negates strengths I have or doesn't fit in well with what I do then I don't take it on board. But I always try to put the advice to the test in sparring before making a decision on whether I feel this is a useful addition or something that I might not be able to incorporate as effectively.

great perspective

worse case scenario you have a better idea of how people view ur strenghts and weaknesses.

It depends. I know enough now to tell if someone actually understands what they're talking about, if they do then I listen, regardless of whether or not I'm more experienced than them.

Very receptive, as long as it isn't some stupid shit that I disagree with.

Back