How powerful is the president really ?

In international affairs. ...extremely powerful.

In domestic affairs. ..Not so much

Unfortunately not very powerful. The media, supreme court, federal reserve have more power over this country.

The president is elected by the people. Maybe Trump can change something and bring the power back to the people.

Trump doesn't care about anyone that doesn't share his last name.

"How powerful is the President really?"

Powerful! He (she) alone controls one of the 3 branches of government regardless of how stupid they might be. Plus he has the "nuclear football", a briefcase, the contents of which (codes) are to be used to authorize a nuclear attack.

The president is as powerful as Congress, the Supreme Court, and the people let him be. Many presidents since Nixon are in violation of the War Powers Resolution of 1973, which requires that Congress approve any action or state of war, even though the president is the commander in chief of the military. This was in direct response to presidential overreach in Vietnam. Many have commended President Washington for stepping down after two terms as there was no requirement to do so at that time. He did, however, set the custom and it was honored up until FDR. The 22nd Amendment then restricted the president's time in office to two terms. The Federalist Papers is a good source to understand the issue better. Another example is when FDR was having a hard time getting his way with congress, so he proposed the Judicial Procedures Reform Act, which was called his supreme court packing plan. He planned to simply add new supreme court justices until enough of them voted his way that he won the issues. It is fascinating stuff and it is too bad they don't teach it in school anymore. They are too busy teaching why capitalism is bad and why whitey is the devil. Oh well.

Last edited:
Many presidents since Nixon are in violation of the War Powers Resolution.

Not really: "The War Powers Resolution requires the President to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30-day withdrawal period, without a Congressional authorization for use of military force." So, that's 90 days of 'boots on the ground' without Congressional approval.

Not really: "The War Powers Resolution requires the President to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30-day withdrawal period, without a Congressional authorization for use of military force." So, that's 90 days of 'boots on the ground' without Congressional approval.

Yes, really. Congress is required to explicitly approve the declaration of a state of war and most presidents don't seek such approval. You didn't even make a valid point. I like how you left out the important parts:

It provides that the U.S. President can send U.S. Armed Forces into action abroad only by declaration of war by Congress, "statutory authorization," or in case of "a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces." The War Powers Resolution requires the President to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30-day withdrawal period, without a Congressional authorization for use of military force (AUMF) or a declaration of war by the United States.

The measure provides the time so that the president can act decisively when needed, but the Congress still has control. It is logical and you don't comprehend why. The act still subordinates the president to congress in the matter of declaring war. 60 days with a 30 day withdrawal period. How long have we been in Afghanistan now? Iraq? And you think 60 days is a lot? Please. Why did I even respond to this moron?

It has been a while since I did research on the War Powers act, however, one part I do remember was Congress decided for sustainment of a war. And there was a certain criteria they go by which I believe is an internal voting resolution. The Congressional vote was a 'check & balance' factor directly to the President.

Yes, really. Congress is required to explicitly approve the declaration of a state of war and most presidents don't seek such approval. You didn't even make a valid point. I like how you left out the important parts:

I'm not talking about a 'declaration of war'. Yes, the president needs approval for that, but not for sending troops for 90 days anywhere in the world. Read your own quote from Wikipedia. Key word: 'without'

"The War Powers Resolution requires the President to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30-day withdrawal period, without a Congressional authorization."

It is not just the president, the military (Pentagon) also knows how to play by the rules.

If you want to know how powerful the president is, read the U.S. Constitution. Then read about laws and court rulings which have affected those powers, and read some important executive orders and signing statements and see how they were implemented. Then get a broad range of views of highly educated and experienced people about what past events and potential events constitute abuse of power.
Or, just hear me out for a second...you could ask a sub forum on a MMA fansite.

How long have we been in Afghanistan now? Iraq? And you think 60 days is a lot? Please. Why did I even respond to this moron?

I'm a 'moron' now. Why do people resort to insults and name calling to try to prove a point? Watch it princess or you will get a 'yellow'. Flaming rules on Sherdog are changing. Not sure where you are getting your information, but Congress approved Afghanistan and Iraq.

I'm not talking about a 'declaration of war'. Yes, the president needs approval for that, but not for sending troops for 90 days anywhere in the world. Read your own quote from Wikipedia. Key word: 'without'

"The War Powers Resolution requires the President to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30-day withdrawal period, without a Congressional authorization."

It is not just the president, the military (Pentagon) also knows how to play by the rules.

The hilarious part is that you genuinely don't understand why you are wrong, and yet you are loudly proclaiming your superior knowledge. You have evidenced the reading comprehension skills of a lemur. You say the president needs persmission to declare war, but the link I posted above tells you that it is congress which declares war. You don't make a coherent point, and you think that somehow because the president can move troops for 60 days before he has to bring them home because he is out of line means he has the power to "declare war." Honestly, you are too retarded to even have a conversation with and anyone who liked any of your comments is probably as retarded or more retarded than you. Please don't breed.

Tried what?

Let me guess...to kill the FED or something?

No he didn't.

he hinted quite a bit that he was going to possibly end the CIA and make attempts to be transparent.

im not convinced that this got him killed, but i leave it open to a possibility.

as for the OP, the executive branch in general has a shit ton of power right now. i mean, the pres can literally start a war BY HIMSELF. the judiciary is the only thing that can challenge the executive branch. legislative is neutered and has been for a couple or 3 decades.

The hilarious part is that you genuinely don't understand why you are wrong, and yet you are loudly proclaiming your superior knowledge. You have evidenced the reading comprehension skills of a lemur. You say the president needs persmission to declare war, but the link I posted above tells you that it is congress which declares war. You don't make a coherent point, and you think that somehow because the president can move troops for 60 days before he has to bring them home because he is out of line means he has the power to "declare war." Honestly, you are too retarded to even have a conversation with and anyone who liked any of your comments is probably as retarded or more retarded than you. Please don't breed.

A fine specimen with the IQ of a brick. I'll take it from the top. I'm not wrong. You are literally contradicting yourself on what you post. When did I say the president needed permission to declare war? I said congress must do that, but you missed that. My point is coherent, only an idiot would not understand. The president can move troops for 90 days, not 60, I guess you missed that also. Nope, I did not 'flame' you, but you sure flamed me. As for the rest, you should take your own advice...

imo bush jr obama didn't have much control they were puppets

Kennedy tried and got killed

Trump is being trump and saying what he feels but I feel he is being held back a lot and being told what to say

Reagan was good peoples person but agin puppet

You have to go back to 60's when president was in control

99% of being President is talking to lawyers because the opposition party looks for every piece of litter you drop as a reason for impeachment.

A fine specimen with the IQ of a brick. I'll take it from the top. I'm not wrong. You are literally contradicting yourself on what you post. When did I say the president needed permission to declare war? I said congress must do that, but you missed that. My point is coherent, only an idiot would not understand. The president can move troops for 90 days, not 60, I guess you missed that also. Nope, I did not 'flame' you, but you sure flamed me. As for the rest, you should take your own advice...

One of these days, you might realize what a retard you are:

The War Powers Resolution requires the President to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30-day withdrawal period, without a Congressional authorization for use of military force

Get it yet, moron?

I bet I can bench press/squat more than him. So not very.

imo bush jr obama didn't have much control they were puppets

Kennedy tried and got killed

Trump is being trump and saying what he feels but I feel he is being held back a lot and being told what to say

Reagan was good peoples person but agin puppet

You have to go back to 60's when president was in control

You're absolutely right Obama was a puppet of Ayatollah. @Pwent @ripskater

One of these days, you might realize what a retard you are:

The day you realize the same about yourself...

The War Powers Resolution requires the President to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30-day withdrawal period, without a Congressional authorization for use of military force.

Unfortunately not very powerful. The media, supreme court, federal reserve have more power over this country.

The president is elected by the people. Maybe Trump can change something and bring the power back to the people.

You think Trump cares about the people? He's clearly pro-business, unless you have something to help him.

Anyway, political parties are like cults, and the candidate isn't the one running the cult.

You think Trump cares about the people? He's clearly pro-business, unless you have something to help him.

Anyway, political parties are like cults, and the candidate isn't the one running the cult.

Basically I believe that Trump cares about Trump lol

But besides of that, I really think that he cares about the US people too.
I don't know, I just believe him that he loves America.

Back