How popular is Kickboxing in Japan these days | Page 2

Discussion in 'Muay Thai and Kickboxing' started by manlyseaeagle, Mar 12, 2017.

1. WAKAMAKA Purple Belt

WAKAMAKA
    That is silly, they are both amazing.

2. Emanuele Orange Belt

Emanuele
    Too brutal, and I don't like unprotected legs, knees, long clinches. I prefer traditional kickboxing like the video (like the one praticed by Dennis Alexio, Rick Roufus, Don Wilson), more controlled, safer and more classy fights, but with long trousers, low kicks, belts, shin guards ecc.

3. Snubnoze707 High Level

Snubnoze707
    In other words, everything you like about it most people hate.

4. sdjudoka Blue Belt

sdjudoka

5. Emanuele Orange Belt

Emanuele
    As far i know, Japanese kickboxing is K1.
    And American kickboxing is without low kicks. The one shown in the video is "international kickboxing".

6. TwoForYouOneTwoForMeG White Belt

TwoForYouOneTwoForMeG
    Does anyone know what led to the explosion and decline in popularity of K-1 in Japan? The first few GP Finals had 10 - 15 thousand spectators, then it suddenly went nuts and drew 50 - 75 thousand for ten years before suddenly going back to the original low numbers. I find the abrupt nature of its rise and fall quite strange.
    Also during the 10 years when it was big just how big was it? I remember watching it in the early 2000s and here in the UK it was, as it is now, a niche sport. Did it have a popularity similar to the UFC today in the US?

7. manlyseaeagle Orange Belt

manlyseaeagle
    I think the decline started around 2005 and the freak show's getting brought in like Bobb Sapp and guys who couldn't Kickboxing alongside a big Yakuza scandal.

8. Snubnoze707 High Level

Snubnoze707
    K-1 blew up because of major network tv support and died when major network tv pulled the plug.

9. sdjudoka Blue Belt

sdjudoka
    Most orgs in Japan don't use K-1 rules. The term Kickboxing was coined in the sixties and the sport came out of the challenge matches between thai fighters and kyokushin karatekas. K-1 was invented in the 90s by Kazuyoshi Ishii, the Kancho of Seidokaikan, out of a combination of knockdown and boxing rules. In fact K-1 didn't use the term of kickboxing at first.

Emanuele likes this.
  10. Emanuele Orange Belt

Emanuele
    About 8 years ago, in France there was fought a kickboxing match like the ones I prefer.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  11. Kanka Brown Belt

Kanka
    looks like normal K-1 style kickboxing but with foot protection

no knees?

12. Tayski Purple Belt

Tayski
    It's called "Full Contact" in France and it's basically American style kickboxing. Some competitions like this one on the video allow low-kicks and are called "Full Contact with low-kick" but it's not the majority of the competitions.

This video was the final of the French nationals of Full Contact with low-kick of 2009.

If you compare it with K-1 style kickboxing, the differences are no grabbing or clinching at all (not even for a second a deliver a strike), no knees, the scoring is slightly different as the emphasis is a lot more on the techniques delivered and how many rather than the overall damage and aggression. They wear those long pants and insteps protection, and are allowed sweeps.

Emanuele and Kanka like this.
  13. Emanuele Orange Belt

Emanuele
    That's right, very accurate explanation.
    In this type of kickboxing knees are forbidden, but foot sweeps, low kicks and spinning back fists are allowed. And there are footguards and shinguards. Clinch is restricted and allowed only for resting and not striking (like in boxing)
    In Italy it is very popular, and in my opinion it's the ideal form of kickboxing.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017