How overrated was Cain?

Cain was and still is #1 (I have reluctantly have to admit)

Kongo exposed holes in his stand up and how to deal with his aggressive style.

975lpd.jpg

He's one of the more overrated fighters. He was very good but people were looking to crown him as GOAT after he beat up Brawk. Dude fights like once a year and looked like ass in his losses. He had potential but we shouldn't be seeing him on top 5 HW lists

Thread is all sorts of dumb bull.

Cain wasnt overrated at all.

He was the undisputed world number 1 heavyweight for a while, and has some of the best wins & performances in UFC heavyweight history.

/thread

Top 5 in the GOAT HW list.

Chances of being champ again and going up on that list are present I would say.. then again I'm the more optimistic kind we will find out this year more on it.
Nope. Fedor Nog Werdum JDS all have better resumes. Cro cop id put ahead of him, heck even overeem has better wins

NOT overated arguably top 5 greatest heavyweight of all time.

Beat Dos Santos in his prime
Laid a beatdown on Brock, Rothwell, Bigfoot, Browne. Fluke knockout loss against Dos Santos and got caught in a guillotine after gassing against Werdum.
Werdum beat the ever loving shit out of Cain for 2.5 rounds. He didnt get caught, he got owned.

Just curious why ? I guess you could argue that Cain beat JDS but JDS has had a more impressive career

Just the way he fights and wins.

When in shape and ready to go he could quite possibly be the best fighter on the planet.

I fully expect him to finish Werdum if they meet up again.

And for the JDS fights we saw what's what.. like over the course of 50 minutes no question marks or anything he zombified JDS for like 3 years.

JDS wins are more impressive. Been more active, Hes fought a far more diverse set of opponents and has better finishes. As fsr as cain werdum, its just an awful matchup for ant version of cain, just like cain is for JDS

Overrated?
Nah just injury prone that's all.
A healthy Cain would beat ANY of the top 5 heavyweights right now.
How can you people rank dos santos above Cain? He literally took junior soul twice.
It's a shame that he has an injury prone body.

he was an absolute force of nature when he was healthy but potential doesnt make you an all time great, actual results do.

I've said it before but it bares repeating. Cain is the Ken Griffey Jr of MMA. Could have been the best but injuries ruined them.

There is no consensus P4P boxer of all-time, though. It's been a hotly debated topic since the institution of weight classes and will continue to be for as long as fighting exists. For me, RJJ and Mayweather with prime, pre- detached retina SRL and Hagler are the P4P GOATS, but to pick one is basically impossible.
fair enough, not consensus, but he tops most publications including ring magazine. RJJ, while very skilled, did not face top competition as much compared to Hagler/SRR/SRL. The same could be said for Mayweather.

As a long time Cain hater, I learned to set my bias aside, and appreciate a true all time great. I realized I disliked Cain because he kept JDS away from the belt, and for his terrible Spanish. Two very petty reasons, but there it is.

It was until the Travis Browne fight that I truly set my pettiness aside, and soaked in Cain Velasquez fight.
It's easy to discredit Cain here due to Travis' recent performances, but if you really watch the fight, you'll see a true martial artist, always improving and adding wrinkles to his game.

It wasn't just the wheel kick, but the controlled aggression, the pace, shot selection. Cain is a very fluid fighter, and is more thoughtful in the pocket and in the clinch than he gets credit for. Basically Cain isn't Diego Sanchez.

When Cain would have 30 fights in his carrer like Cro Cop Fedor Nog he would be dead .

He should've just submitted JDS instead of pulverizing him the way he did when he knew he was done, it's almost like he wanted to kill him or something. I've always thought there was something off about Cain, he's dead in the eyes and is almost serial killer esque. Something is wrong with him in the head I think.

Post USADA he can't take the drugs to help with injuries, recovery takes forever if at all. He is a non factor and he was a good fighter, not great

Back