How One Muslim Suicide Has Been Used to Destroy the Marine Corps

Yeah that crossed my mind a lot. I probably wasn't cut out for it. I almost snapped on the head Marine at my MEPS building. Dude was a POS though

At the end of the MEPS process I was in some guy's office dead tired and slouched on the couch with another recruit. Some young prick comes in and yells at us for our posture. One of a couple things that made it clear the Marines wasn't the place for me. What's funny is after taking the ASVAB someone suggested maybe another branch would be a better choice. I'm sure that was good advice. But fuck it, I just bailed on the armed forces altogether.

I tried to join & they wouldn't let me in because they said my legal shit didn't add up. I was also 26 at the time which didn't help. They said I needed too many waivers for my legal shit. My medical was flawless, I got an 87 on my asvap & I was the strongest in my PT group. Yet they still wouldn't swear me in at MEPS. They didn't disqualify me, but they told me keep training a maybe something will change. They made it out to be like joining the marines was a privilege so I said fuck that. I was literally taking a pay cut to join, which isn't saying much because they don't pay shit.

Joining the marines after 9/11 was easy. Joining in 2013 wasn't so easy. They got picky. Also I heard I could've gone to Kansas City or Texas to join & they would've taken me no problem. My MEPS building had a piece of shit in charge. The guy was all fucked up. He snapped on me for interrupting him & it took everything in me to beat the dogshit out of him.

Excuses excuses

Wow, that pretty stupid if that's true. I mean like i said they will let people in who are not only dumb but people who i would absolutely never trust with a firearm or any weapon for that matter and just based on your grammar, you are much smarter than those idiots i knew who got in. And yeah, they pay absolute shit and you are right about them acting like it's a privilege. It's basically always been that way, like as if you are lucky to get to go and fight and risk getting killed and get payed shit to do it.

My shithead sister married this younger Marine Recruiter and the guy is a douchebag and tries to act hard all the time for no reason. He, along with my sister who will go along with anything he says brainwashed two of my sisters kids into joining the marines and acted like it was a privilege and that you aren't a true patriot if you don't fight for your country, etc. My dad got into an argument with him because he was bringing up his hardcore republican politics on fucking thanksgiving, but as soon as he found out my dad served in Vietnam he stopped saying shit. Which me and my dad both thought was weird.

That recruiter really sounds confrontational he is bound to get hurt with a loud mouth like that.

At the end of the MEPS process I was in some guy's office dead tired and slouched on the couch with another recruit. Some young prick comes in and yells at us for our posture. One of a couple things that made it clear the Marines wasn't the place for me. What's funny is after taking the ASVAB someone suggested maybe another branch would be a better choice. I'm sure that was good advice. But fuck it, I just bailed on the armed forces altogether.

The Gunny at my MEPS station made us to an entire PFT before signing off on us. He was like grilling us individually to get us to admit information that disqualify us from joining (i.e. unreported criminal offenses etc.). Then he brought me and the 2 other guys in and grilled us all one last time. One guy go so stressed that he actually started throwing up in the trashcan. Gunny didn't even flinch as if that type of shit happens all the time.

I guess they're universally dicks at MEPS to weed people out. It would be awful to realize that the Marines are for you when you're already at bootcamp.

The Gunny at my MEPS station made us to an entire PFT before signing off on us. He was like grilling us individually to get us to admit information that disqualify us from joining (i.e. unreported criminal offenses etc.). Then he brought me and the 2 other guys in and grilled us all one last time. One guy go so stressed that he actually started throwing up in the trashcan. Gunny didn't even flinch as if that type of shit happens all the time.

I guess they're universally dicks at MEPS to weed people out. It would be awful to realize that the Marines are for you when you're already at bootcamp.

lol.

I had nothing to hide at the time. Not sure if that's fortunate or unfortunate.

Yeah, that and the delayed entry program made me come to terms with how big of a mismatch me and the Corps were. They were much better off without me. :oops:

I don't think its any worse than taking a hunk of metal sticking it next to a persons ear and banging on it as hard as you can with a hammer while they are doing push ups for the express purposes of making their ears ring so bad that they fall down when you make them get up for slide shuttle hops. That is exactly what one of my DIs would do every day to us. It built character.
So no then, you don't think it was wrong for them to stick a person in a dryer. We're just starting from different positions then because I don't see that as necessary or appropriate.

So no then, you don't think it was wrong for them to stick a person in a dryer. We're just starting from different positions then because I don't see that as necessary or appropriate.

Putting a person in a dryer in of itself? No not at all. Its no different than sticking a person in a locker. If the guy was seriously hurt I'd have a problem but simply putting a person in a dryer monitored? Comeon that is just a little good fun.

Isn't this part of the problem?

I get wanting to put people through a crucible. It serves its purposes. However, we feed 18 year olds propaganda to get them to join. Get them to sign a contract that gives them no escape for years, and then put them through the psychological warfare meant to break and rebuild a person.

If we changed either the propaganda, or the locked in contract during training, I would have less of an issue with these off book tactics.

If we really want the marines to be elite, double their pay. Then we wouldn't need to sell 18 year olds lies, and use contracts to keep people in the military.

Don't you think it would help if they could shorten the service?

What is it now like 6 years you are locked into?

I've know a few guys who want to join the military but aren't super into the idea. The whole 6 year contract puts people off surely. No wonder it seems so many people come out after 6 years and pissed off.

Maybe having more like 1 or 2 year service things. A lot of countries have just that and the more dedicated stay longer.

Putting a person in a dryer in of itself? No not at all. Its no different than sticking a person in a locker. If the guy was seriously hurt I'd have a problem but simply putting a person in a dryer monitored? Comeon that is just a little good fun.
I don't see why we have to pay Marines to act like a fraternity. There's got to be a less juvenile and destructive way to build character.

I don't see why we have to pay Marines to act like a fraternity. There's got to be a less juvenile and destructive way to build character.

When I got promoted to Corporal I was sick the whole next day because part of the ritual is to drink a one liter canteen of whatever the seniors want to put in it. Typically and in my case hard liquor.

What do you expect it is a branch of guy in their early 20s

When I got promoted to Corporal I was sick the whole next day because part of the ritual is to drink a one liter canteen of whatever the seniors want to put in it. Typically and in my case hard liquor.

What do you expect it is a branch of guy in their early 20s
If' they're being paid by the taxpayer to become an elite fighting unit then I expect some professionalism and sticking someone in a dryer isn't what I'd call professional.

Sure young men are going to act like jackasses from time to time, especially in an institution as masculine and extreme as the military. But there should be lines that aren't to be crossed and I think they crossed a line here.

FTR, the recruit who got put in the dryer and the dude who killed himself aren't the same people.
The dryer thing was inappropriate but it makes me laugh for some reason.

I've know a few guys who want to join the military but aren't super into the idea. The whole 6 year contract puts people off surely. No wonder it seems so many people come out after 6 years and pissed off.

Maybe having more like 1 or 2 year service things. A lot of countries have just that and the more dedicated stay longer.
4 year contract. The Army recently brought 2 year contracts back too.
The USMC had 2 year contracts back when I was in (03-07) but they were limited to only a few fields with short schools (admin, infantry, supply, motor t, maybe a few others).

Oh.

That's what revealed the culture of brutality?

Pretty sure the Marines have had a brutal reputation for 200+ years. He didn't go to bandcamp mom, he went to Parris Island.

‘‘Making’’ Marines, as the corps calls recruit training, is a three-part process, with boot camp being the first and most grueling test. Its purpose, unlike Army boot camp, is not to train war-fighters; for Marines, that comes in the second and third phases of training. Boot camp is meant to create the ‘‘warrior spirit,’’ as the corps puts it, over three months of group indoctrination intended to strip recruits of individuality and, through repeated exposure to pain and physical challenge, condition them to accept and perform violence.

Last edited:
Dude, besides constantly bringing up Obama because you are a coward closet racist from what i have seen of your posts, why are you constantly bringing up gay people and transsexuals? You seem to have an obsession with them and i'm thinking (and have thought for awhile) that you are in the closet or something. I find it weird when people think about other people so much to the point that they literally let it affect their lives. Most people that are comfortable with their sexuality don't need to bash gay people all the time or constantly think about them.
This is exactly why Trump won.

Anyone opposed to Obama policy was a racist.

Not allowing DI's to stick Muslim recruits in a dryer is "hurting our national defense"?

Moreover, the two main incidents mentioned in detail in the NYT piece were internally investigated by the Marines as part of their normal procedures. Punishment was recommended in both instances. Some are facing court martial this summer. Even the Marines realize these few DI's went way overboard.
Then if the Marine Core's own internal disciplinary policy is working, why is an external review of the entire operation necessary?

Last edited:
You probably have just been told that by marines because a lot of them love to act like they are way more "badass" than the other branches. True story, a Marine came into the barracks where my dad was stationed in Vietnam and started shit with a guy who was ranked quite high in the Air Force. The Air Force guy told him to take his hat off before he entered the mess hall because it was a rule. He said no, so the Air Force guy said he would asked him one more time. When the guy said no again, the Air Force guy knocked him out cold with one punch and dragged him outside lol.

When you have to tell a story third hand it doesn't mean shit, and really doesn't help when its a shitty story.

The Marines have a higher standard for recruitment than the Army that is just a fact

I did 3 years. Heard of some doing 2. I believe the contracts are dependent on how much it costs to train you for your job, and how much they want you. I failed my first piss test trying to join and had a GED. I scored a 98 on my ASVAB test, so despite failing a piss test, I still got to basically dictate the terms of my contract to an extent.

It is usually 4 or 6 years though.

These guys can also leave still when in basic, without a dishonorable discharge, but they make that very difficult to do. What is done to recruits to discourage this, is rather off the books as well. Saw some barracks lawyers put through the ringer for trying this.

Ah...indy-500. Good times!
Anyone did rifle maneuvers with foot lockers? Naked!?

Back