How often should you wash your gi?

attestedplum

White Belt
Reaction score
I currently only have one gi but I would like to do an early morning class and then an afternoon class later. Would it be alright to use the same gi twice. At the moment I wash it after every class. Sorry for the noob question but I really don't wanna be that smelly guy in the class

cce.png

Wash your gi every time you use it.

Here are some other options, so you don't have to wash the gi right after class.

1. Buy another gi. Wash them both at the end of the day.
2. Buy multiple gis, so you can only wash gis every two or three days. Wear fresh gis, each time.
3. Alternate between gi and nogi classes, if they have them, so you can mix in nogi apparel to your rotation.

Wash all accordingly.

Every time you roll...................EVERY TIME YOU ROLL!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be "that guy".

Seriously, I've "tapped" to stinky Gi before.

gotta wash it after every training session. The only time I do not wash my gi is when i teach and do not sweat in it. Other than that, every single time

buy another gi. someone gave me a free gi top, so i have 2 gi's but 1 pair of pants, but gi pants can be put in the dryer and be ready in the same day so I dont have that problem or I would just buy another gi.

How much do you guys stink? DOnt you wear an deodorants or something? I never trained BJJ but for the few years I did karate and awhile aikido, I washed it approx. twice a month. And its not my subjective opinion that it didnt smell while everybody thought differently. We got along very well and others would tell me in a heartbeat in my face if I smelled bad. When youre a hightbelt theres lots of falling down and catching so it would be noticable. Maybe you should consider why you smell so bad so quickly ?
I guess if you train everday hard you should wash it once a week or so but after each practice? thats kinda excessive IMO

How much do you guys stink? DOnt you wear an deodorants or something? I never trained BJJ but for the few years I did karate and awhile aikido, I washed it approx. twice a month. And its not my subjective opinion that it didnt smell while everybody thought differently. We got along very well and others would tell me in a heartbeat in my face if I smelled bad. When youre a hightbelt theres lots of falling down and catching so it would be noticable. Maybe you should consider why you smell so bad so quickly ?

A. Thanks disgusting.

B. Perhaps, if you ever train BJJ, you'll understand that there is significantly more contact with a the gi in grappling than there is in a striking art. You are pretty much constantly in breathing distance (and sometimes smother distance) of the gi.

C. BJJ gis are significantly thicker, and therefore, more prone to become saturated with sweat. They don't air dry so well. As a result, even washed gis can retain a bit of a sour smell. Unwashed gis reak.

D. I have never done anything that causes me to sweat like BJJ. Nothing has ever come even close. And I'm one of those, wear lots of deodorant, wash twice a day, body spray, cologne, bordering on metrosexual level people. I don't stink, but I would if I didn't wash my gi.

I guess if you train everday hard you should wash it once a week or so but after each practice? thats kinda excessive IMO

What does ringworm smell like? what does herpes smell like? there is a lot of nasty crap that you can not smell but out of respect to training partners and overall not being a douche or that guy ect ect wash your gi every time.

Even if you roll/train/coach and do not sweat, you are still rolling around on the mat with potential nasties from other people like this guy ^^ (although I'm pretty sure he is just being sarcastic). Wash your gi every time you hit the mat period.

Wash it every time, if getting more gis are too expensive, get some judo gis, way cheaper.

Its not only the smell, its the infectuous stuff as well to take in concidering. I was visiting at a gym that was totally insanely clean, with mats cleaned between each class etc, but still they had regular cases of skin infections etc. Where did it come from? The "old boys" at the gym who kept their gi's and other stuff in their lockers (only reserved for the select few), and didnt take them home to get cleaned every time. They spread everything like wildfire.
it did not take a genius to see the problem.. I mentioned it to the head coach, and presto. I hear that the problem diminished conciderably.

So: Wash each time. Get another gi, and always use a fresh one. There is NO EXCUSE to use dirty gear.

So: Wash each time. Get another gi, and always use a fresh one. There is NO EXCUSE to use dirty gear.

This. It goes beyond ettiquete. It's for safety/health reasons.

When i really have no other gi to wear (like when i'm travelling and i can only carry one gi that won't dry the same day i wash it), just go no gi.
Most instructors will prefer to have a no gi student than a dirty gi student.
Be straight up about it: "I only have one gi and it's dirty/wet, can i train no gi?".

If you can't afford another gi, start saving money; you could even buy an used one. If you're in Somalia-kind-of-poverty, maybe you can steal a classmate gi's after you put him to sleep with a choke.

As others have posted, it's not just the smell one has to worry about. I consider my gi a net of bacteria and germs and other funk and I have to wash the net out after every session to keep from spreading stuff to my training partners or infect myself.

One reason why I love training in the gi is because in the 4 years I've trained in it, I've never once caught staph or ringworm. It's an extra layer of protection but that protection is rendered null and void if you never wash it.

Jesus H. Christ.

So you change or wash your underwear or t-shirts only once or twice a month too? "Nah, they dont stink, they are good for another COUPLE OF WEEKS..."?

Geez people washing their Gis after every use? I do every 2-3 uses. I think most people do it that way.. but none will admit it after the responses in this thread lolol.
Anyway, FU guys I'm no washing machine expert.

Like others have said, skin infections are the main worry as they can tear through an academy. The smell is just an indicator that your gi is dirty. The one exception on the every training issue is if there is a seminar with two sessions and there is a small break between them but if that is the case, if possible, just bring a second jacket.

Geez people washing their Gis after every use? I do every 2-3 uses. I think most people do it that way.. but none will admit it after the responses in this thread lolol.
Anyway, FU guys I'm no washing machine expert.

Jesus H. Christ

Back