How often do you guys get burnt out?

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
In a funk right now. Got sick and I wasn’t even that sick but used it as an excuse to play video games all week. Came in to the gym weak and out of condition and then got thrown by my neck and I heard it crack like 5 times so now it’s super stiff. Instead of trying to stretch and do conditioning I’ve been playing more video games all weekend. Lol.

Probably racked up about 50 hours of video games in 7 days. The climb back seems so far yet it’s only been a week lol

Training-wise, burn out happens to me when I approach things too intense with heavy volume early on the camp.

One time, somewhat training related when I burnt out was I had 3 fights, fall through last year. Basically did the long camp and only a few weeks out have the event cancel. I didn't think it was much at the end, but it took a toll on me, my head kind of auto-piloted to stop training hard because I felt there wouldn't be any reward (fight) at the end.

At the end of the day its a routine, and as funny as it may seem, its so easy for us to devolve back to a shitty routine even though you have a strong work ethic. Things like this is why a good coach is needed to help motivate you to get back on your feet.

Whenever I notice the lack of motivation and drive, it boils down to 2 reasons: I've been overdoing it (and it's not that hard when you're 39) and I lose focus because I need some change in workout routine. So usually what I do is lower the intensity a bit and start focusing on something that would give me a boost in motivation. I've stopped sparring for the same exact reason, it just wasn't worth it and took too long to recover. I would drag myself to practice the week after sparring. Maybe change things up a bit, TS, could be helpful.

i feel it here and there where i feel unmotivated and just want to stay home and sleep. i usually tell myself to man up and get my ass to the gym as much as i don't want to. november was pretty tough, it was particulary dark, not a lot of sun. felt super tired too. also didn't help that i just had a pretty tough sinus infection which i trained through so my body was just screaming at me to fuck off.

Last edited:
Usually when there's no real challenge ahead, like when I have no fights lined up I can get lazy and only train 2 or 3 times a week, going straight home to drink beer and play video games.

It doesn't help that both Black Ops 4 and Battlefield 5 have just been release and a lot of my friends are on every night to play.

Every day. But I think of something I heard a football Coach had said to his team as they were doing steep hill climbs:

"You're allowed to quit as many times as you want, just don't stop moving your feet."

Last edited:
Every day. But I think of something I heard a football Coach had said to his team as they were doing steep hill climbs:

"You're allowed to quit as many times as you want, just don't stop loving your feet."
Can I love tiny Asian feet instead?

Stupid phone

*fixed

I get burnt out from playing video games all the time, start streaming or try a new genre, I've been getting into rocket league it's cheap and super fun

If you need to take a break and hit the gym that's fine but keep your priorities straight at the end of the day bro

In a funk right now. Got sick and I wasn’t even that sick but used it as an excuse to play video games all week. Came in to the gym weak and out of condition and then got thrown by my neck and I heard it crack like 5 times so now it’s super stiff. Instead of trying to stretch and do conditioning I’ve been playing more video games all weekend. Lol.

Probably racked up about 50 hours of video games in 7 days. The climb back seems so far yet it’s only been a week lol
Only 50 hours!!!! You gotta bump those numbers up LOL
I used to play that much in the BF3 days playing in a semi serious clan, it kinda took over my life for a while.
Now due to my addictive personality I’m m holding off buying BFV because I know I won’t sleep/train/eat if I decide to play competitively

Now due to my addictive personality I’m m holding off buying BFV because I know I won’t sleep/train/eat if I decide to play competitively

I've got BFV as well as CoD:BO4 and they do kill a lot of hours. Worst part is they haven't even released the battle royale on BFV yet, I can only imagine what it's gonna be like when they do :oops:

"You're allowed to quit as many times as you want, just don't stop moving your feet."
tenor.gif

You need motivators and change in training patterns.

Yes, we all go through the why bother.... "I'm not a navy seal neither making action movies" mental argument, LoL

But change things up, don't just do the same things over and over again.

Heck some times I drive an hour and half down to a beach cycling track just for a different scene from my normal riding routes.

I have my own home martial art studio but maybe twice a year hit a local gym for something different, i also buy some new gear every now and then to spice things up.

Things as simple as a tennis ball doing various types of exercise can be fun as well, its up to you.

What are your motivations for training.......... for me its personal health and keep my martial arts to my own standards as a 47 year old its more about health and well being and enjoying it in various ways.

In summer heaps of swimming love it.

Last edited:
im not sure how long it takes but i do get burnt out for sure, its from pushing too hard for too long. if you dont have a fight coming up, you can turn your training down to 4 or even 3 days a week, to take a break but still remain active, and still improve, do this for a few months, than push hard fight time.

I get burnt out doing the ups driver helper lol. I work in the cold and have to carry heavy packages. In the last 5 years I was training I had fairly large gaps. And I did play video games all day too. When I was practicing Islam. I stopped going to the gym in Ramadan and just played video games until it was time to eat. Than after that play more. But most of the time I just miss training and just want to fight. Even now I just want to train and fight sometime. 2x an instructor told me he was going to get me a fight. Than the first time he left the gym. 1 year later i start training in NYC and than run into money problems, and than went Mia and he just didn't get me the fight both times the fight was unofficial. Than everytime I try to get a friend to train he trains with me for a few days than goes dry.

Video games are fun and all lol, but you got responsibility in life.

@biscuitsbrah are playing red dead redemption 2 all day? Or fallout 76?

Reversibility is a real consideration when training. The longer you're out completely, the longer you'll have to get back to where you were. Try to do something everyday (doesn't have to be intense---but stay moving). Try 50% of max effort, and then go up from there.

I fell in love with volume training back in 2013. I never looked back.

I still do hard sessions now and then. But 80-90 % of my training is volume training at medium speed, power, and intensity.

It was the thais in chai yai gym in chiang mai Thailand that opened my eyes.

I fell in love with volume training back in 2013. I never looked back.

I still do hard sessions now and then. But 80-90 % of my training is volume training at medium speed, power, and intensity.

It was the thais in chai yai gym in chiang mai Thailand that opened my eyes.

Did they use the pliers......

Back