How often do you break the law? (Any law)

Is letting a dog lick peanut butter off your sack illegal? Asking for a friend.

<Huh2>

Hard to believe.

Lane splitters annoy me more than a successful business annoys an environmentalist.

Yeah, it's been officially legalised in every state here except WA I believe. Cheaper than building more roads.

Fyi, I'd be daily.

Can't recall the last trip where I stayed under the limit for every second.

Your greatest crime may be proudly rocking a Renan Barao avatar in 2018.

Yeah, it's been officially legalised in every state here except WA I believe. Cheaper than building more roads.

Does a high percentage of your population drive motorcycles?

That seems like such a peculiar justification for a clearly unsafe driving practice.

I always drive 10-15 above the speed limit...I Uber now, but am EXTREMELY lucky to have never gotten a DUI...

That seems like such a peculiar justification for a clearly unsafe driving practice.

It's not unsafe. Motorcycles should be going faster than the flow of traffic as you can react better to someone in front of you, than someone who rear-ends you.

Well, it was trialed first in NSW and Vic, with no negative effects. The positive effect on traffic was mostly justified by a study in Belgium and of course it's the norm in most of S. E. Asia. Every state but WA has now adopted the legislation.
Of course we have mandatory motorcycle training here (and helmets), and lane splitting (it's limited to "filtering" here) and taking pillions is discouraged until you have your full licence.

Well, it was trialed first in NSW and Vic, with no negative effects. The positive effect on traffic was mostly justified by a study in Belgium and of course it's the norm in most of S. E. Asia. Every state but WA has now adopted the legislation.
Of course we have mandatory motorcycle training here (and helmets), and lane splitting (it's limited to "filtering" here) and taking pillions is discouraged until you have your full licence.

That sounds at least reasonable, and there's some form of training.

Lanesplitters here in the states act like they're trying to get the high score of some video game or something.

Lane splitting is legal is some US states.

To be honest though, I don't know why anyone who rides a motorcycle bothers with traffic laws - especially in dense traffic where people are splitting, it's not like a cop can part the red sea and chase you.

Lane splitting is legal is some US states.

To be honest though, I don't know why anyone who rides a motorcycle bothers with traffic laws - especially in dense traffic where people are splitting, it's not like a cop can part the red sea and chase you.

They don't usually chase motorcyclists here anyway, but the penalties for speeding are draconian and you'd essentially have to prove that it wasn't you riding the bike to avoid prosecution. It's the cameras that'll get you in urban areas.

I go about 5 mph over the speed limit pretty much everywhere I drive. More on the highway.

I hardly even speed. I'm becoming a crotchety old man.

Jaywalking - all the time. Dumb to waste productive time waiting for some traffic control light if there is no traffic to impede.

Speeding - all the time. NOt to crazy degrees like when I was younger. We are talking small amounts over and mostly with traffic flow.

Improper lane changes, not stopping at Stop signs, Running Amber and Red lights - All the time while cycling (not in my car). As with Jaywalking it is just silly that cyclists have to follow road rules that were designed for cars and just lazily lumped onto cyclists. And I am not saying that in many cases the normal road rules should not apply to cyclists such as on main busy streets. But if I am riding up some quite side street that is full of 4 way stops and/or traffic lights I am not stopping and going and stopping and going every block. That is far harder on a cyclist than a car and most times those stop signs or lights are there to ensure cars do not speed thru residential neighbourhoods so stopping a cyclist is just dumb. Some progressive cities actually have devised separate cycling road rules specifically for the bikes that address issues like that.

BTW I love how a cyclist blowing thru a stop sign when he can see everything is clear a mile back rustles some car drivers and they feel they have to comment or yell at the cyclist for not obeying the law. Then they speed off exceeding the speed limit.

I was pretty hungry yesterday so I sped to the burrito shop, but there wasn't any parking so I had to park across the street. The closest crosswalks were about 100 yards in either direction, so I jaywalked(ran) across the street. Then when I got home I got really stoned and ate my burrito.

So just during dinner, 3. Well, 5 if you include jaywalking back to my truck and speeding home.

BTW I love how a cyclist blowing thru a stop sign when he can see everything is clear a mile back rustles some car drivers and they feel they have to comment or yell at the cyclist for not obeying the law. Then they speed off exceeding the speed limit.

It's true. I do it too. However, I'd say blowing through a stop-sign on a bike more dangerous than going a 5 miles over the speed limit in a car. It's always amazed me how so many cyclists & pedestrians put their lives in the hands of the admittedly-bad drivers around them.

It's true. I do it too. However, I'd say blowing through a stop-sign on a bike more dangerous than going a 5 miles over the speed limit in a car. It's always amazed me how so many cyclists & pedestrians put their lives in the hands of the admittedly-bad drivers around them.
In some instances yes but others no.

At the speed of a bicycle on quiet residential streets that are open and clear I can see often up to another stop sign down that same street and see the road is completely clear. So stopping and starting and stopping and starting over and over for no reason makes no sense.

Back