How much will this guy's insurance pay me after he wrecked my car

Pied Piper

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Im pretty upset. A man (vehicle 1)was speeding in lane 3 on the freeway. He couldnt stop in time to avoid hitting the cars in front of him so he turned into lane 2 and hit another car (vehicle 2). That cat then flipped over and turned into lane 4 where i was sitting in traffic. It hit me from the side and competely smashed the divers side of my car and deployed the airbags. Im lucky to be alive. Vehicle 1 kept turning into lane 1 and hit another car. Im upset because my car was a 2015 and i only had it for 3 months im still making payments ffs. Also the left side of my face is bruised and my hip has been in pain since the accident, im getting an MRI on monday. Im afraid his insurance will pull some bs and barely pay me what i deserve.

Im pretty upset. A man (vehicle 1)was speeding in lane 3 on the freeway. He couldnt stop in time to avoid hitting the cars in front of him so he turned into lane 2 and hit another car (vehicle 2). That cat then flipped over and turned into lane 4 where i was sitting in traffic. It hit me from the side and competely smashed the divers side of my car and deployed the airbags. Im lucky to be alive. Vehicle 1 kept turning into lane 1 and hit another car. Im upset because my car was a 2015 and i only had it for 3 months im still making payments ffs. Also the left side of my face is bruised and my hip has been in pain since the accident, im getting an MRI on monday. Im afraid his insurance will pull some bs and barely pay me what i deserve.

If the guy who caused it had insurance, there is a good chance he won't have enough to cover all of the vehicles. California only requires $5,000 property damage coverage and $15,000 per person, $30,000 per incident bodily injury coverage. Your insurance should handle this for you. Tell them to find you a comparable vehicle. It should also cover a rental vehicle until your vehicle is replaced.

If the guy who caused it had insurance, there is a good chance he won't have enough to cover all of the vehicles. California only requires $5,000 property damage coverage and $15,000 per person, $30,000 per incident bodily injury coverage. Your insurance should handle this for you. Tell them to find you a comparable vehicle. It should also cover a rental vehicle until your vehicle is replaced.
I have liability only insurance

Hope you come out healthy bro, and with a fat wad as well

Then it looks like you're going to court. Wait... how do you only have liability when you're still paying for it and why are you driving around a 2015 car with only liability?

Then it looks like you're going to court. Wait... how do you only have liability when you're still paying for it and why are you driving around a 2015 car with only liability?
I had quite a few tickets in the past which raised my insurance. it will be the 3 year mark in December so Ill go back to full coverage by then

How can you have a loan without replacement coverage on your vehicle? Lenders around here require it and repossess the vehicle if you don't have it or drop coverage.

You might be screwed. Bad drivers usually have minimum insurance if they have any at all. $5000 won't cover the cost of a 10 year old car.

I had quite a few tickets in the past which raised my insurance. it will be the 3 year mark in December so Ill go back to full coverage by then

Good luck dude... none of that is going to help you with your current situation. When I was making payments on my car, both times, I had to sign a contract saying that I would maintain full coverage until the car was paid off.. part of the loan paperwork. Not sure how you slid by on that one, but seriously, good luck and prepare for a battle in court. Your insurance company is going to laugh at you when you make a claim, and who knows what kind of insurance the the guy who hit you had.

You got the police report and does it CLEARLY detail every single thing? Does it state that you are 100% not at fault? Start getting those ducks in a row now while the situation is still fresh in your head.

How can you have a loan without replacement coverage on your vehicle? Lenders around here require it and repossess the vehicle if you don't have it or drop coverage.

You might be screwed. Bad drivers usually have minimum insurance if they have any at all. $5000 won't cover the cost of a 10 year old car.
the loan was taken out by a family member for me. im just reimbursing him

Good luck dude... none of that is going to help you with your current situation. When I was making payments on my car, both times, I had to sign a contract saying that I would maintain full coverage until the car was paid off.. part of the loan paperwork. Not sure how you slid by on that one, but seriously, good luck and prepare for a battle in court. Your insurance company is going to laugh at you when you make a claim, and who knows what kind of insurance the the guy who hit you had.

You got the police report and does it CLEARLY detail every single thing? Does it state that you are 100% not at fault? Start getting those ducks in a row now while the situation is still fresh in your head.
the police report clearly states that vehicle 1 was at fault for everything and I was at fault for nothing.

Im wondering the same thing. I didn't think you could have liability only while making car payments.

the police report clearly states that vehicle 1 was at fault for everything and I was at fault for nothing.

Right, but you won't be suing vehicle 1 as that vehicle didn't impact you. As far as I understand with this kind of accident everybody sues the person who hit them, rather than everybody suing the person who was the catalyst for the entire incident. From your story it sounds like you'll be suing vehicle 2... just make sure the police report details all of that very clearly and if not get on the horn to the cop to get it clarified with documentation.

Make sure you're on top of your medical reports and not just the bills, but make sure your medical report is clear and details why you were there and exactly what you were complaining about in terms of the injuries sustained from the accident.

Good luck man and I hope this all works out easy for you, but many people end up having a serious challenge dealing with it all as insurance companies don't like to payout.

Last edited:

Better hope he has good insurance or a lot of money. You might not get paid for years if he doesn't have good insurance. I carry a $2 million liability policy in addition to my car insurance because cars and medical care is so expensive these days.

Better hope he has good insurance or a lot of money. You might not get paid for years if he doesn't have good insurance. I carry a $2 million liability policy in addition to my car insurance because cars and medical care is so expensive these days.
he has :Financial IND" (indemnity?) insurance according to the police report. and yeah his name is on the title.

Right, but you won't be suing vehicle 1 as that vehicle didn't impact you. As far as I understand with this kind of accident everybody sues the person who him them, rather than everybody suing the person who was the catalyst for the entire incident. From your story it sounds like you'll be suing vehicle 2... just make sure the police report details all of that very clearly and if not get on the horn to the cop to get it clarified with documentation.

Make sure you're on top of your medical reports and not just the bills, but make sure your medical report is clear and details why you were there and exactly what you were complaining about in terms of the injuries sustained from the accident.

Good luck man and I hope this all works out easy for you, but many people end up having a serious challenge dealing with it all as insurance companies don't like to payout.

You might have to sue the driver who hit you and that driver sues the driver who hit him for what he had to pay you.

You might have to sue the driver who hit you and that driver sues the driver who hit him for what he had to pay you.
that sucks because the guy who hit me isn't at fault, his car overturned as a result of the impact from driver 1, leading to him hitting me

that sucks because the guy who hit me isn't at fault, his car overturned as a result of the impact from driver 1, leading to him hitting me

It makes more money for lawyers.

Back