How much protein do you eat?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Herr Webster, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Ginger patty

Ginger patty Banned Banned

I just eat whatever I want and if some protein happens to be in it, good.

I don't really like bad food anyway so I'm very healthy.

2. warriorscommando

warriorscommando I will always protect you

Protein and fat don’t turn into fat in your body except in weird circumstances and with a calorie deficit.

3. JonJonesLines

JonJonesLines Orange Belt

Pessimystic likes this.
  4. Pessimystic

Pessimystic Asteroid Belt

One ear to the ground, listening to the dead
    I recently got the beef protein powder. Not sure what I think of it yet, though. Beef is my go to food, but it's different.
    I still like the whey better.

5. Jimmy McGill

Jimmy McGill S'all good man

varies, almost always around 100g or above, and all from food, I don't waste my money on any supplements, shakes or otherwise.

6. Estelita Scott

Estelita Scott White Belt

I weigh just <45kg. My height is 150cm. I usually just eat normally. But I find that I have leaner muscle on 6 eggs per day + carbs + minimal vegetable oil.

I've been drinking quite a lot of milk. I don't drink whey powder anymore because I've realized that the protein to carb ratio is too small. Whey made me fat. So, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I prefer eggs, fish and chicken for protein. I never eat soy anymore. It's not worth it because it causes hormonal fluctuations. Not good.

If it weren't winter and I didn't crave hot chocolate, I would cut out milk. I hate how milk bloats me and makes my body all swollen-like. It's not a myth that milk makes you fat.

So six eggs a day is best for me. But, the taste of eggs gets so sickening and I'm scared of all the unnatural ways farmers produce these large eggs. I try to buy good grade eggs, though.

7. Mbmmax

Mbmmax Yellow Belt

I've had this problem. I get a little obsessed over how much protein I'm consuming and still not sure how much it helps.

Sano likes this.
  8. therealdope

therealdope Steel Belt

IDK but maybe I'll start to measure. Do you use the mass of the cooked meat or actually the mass of the protein content in a cooked piece of meat?

9. Myprotein

Myprotein White Belt

I’d say 1-1.2g per lb of bodyweight is a good place to start. I always like to vary protein sources too... Impact Whey, chicken, beef, fish etc so you get different amino acid profiles.

10. Sano

Sano Black Belt

1-1,5 just seems like way too much. I weigh around 200 lbs, then I would have to eat 200-300 grams of protein a day. That just seems excessive and unnecessary.

I did try for 2-3 months to eat around that amount in protein and I saw no change whatsoever. Now I just eat whatever I feel like (healthy), and some days I don't eat meat at all. Then again, the other day I ate around 2lbs of Turkey so I definitely got my fill there.

I know most meta-analysis point out that, on average, greater protein intake will lead to greater strength gain and/or FFM, but I just don't find it sustainable and personally I never saw any noticeable difference. What matters most for me seems to be the amount of calories I'm eating.

Also, there's definitely some issues with of the way the research on protein is portrayed, but that's a longer conversation.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  11. eternaldarkness

eternaldarkness Brown Belt

i found cutting sugar to be more beneficial than massively upping protein intake. also beware of caffeine, if you naturally have a fast metabolism it makes it worse, and it becomes nearly impossible to gain weigh. it makes me laugh, the number of products that contain caffeine. it can be highly counter productive.

12. William Huggins

William Huggins Green Belt

Are you sure that you wasn't drinking weight gain, straight whey powder has very little carbohydrates, less than 1.5g carbs per 24g of protein in most whey products.......

13. physiology

physiology White Belt

14. The Green-eyed Kenshiro

The Green-eyed Kenshiro Banned Banned

about 0.4 grams per lb of my bodyweight (150) so not nearly enough

but i dont lift very often so it serves me ok

15. TrueBias

TrueBias Red Belt

Im over 200lbs (right now 213) at 6' and i used to get a gram a protein per lb of BW.

Do you know how much of a pain of an ass that is over 200lbs? Some days are easy, but most of them, fuck no.

I eat shit ton less protein now and ive not seen many changes in much.

Actually....

Im not as strong as i used to be and i get hurt here n there...

...motherfucker. Is that why?

beat...people...up? likes this.
  16. beat...people...up?

beat...people...up? Orange Belt

I have a minimum I like to hit (100g approx, which is not quite .7g/lb bodyweight) and then above that I go by appetite. When I train hard I crave protein and might eat up to 200g (almost 1.4g/lb) to be satiated, though that's rare and might happen on a day when I trained 3-4 hours or something. I don't feel good if I eat the extra calories I need in purely carbs + fat; I feel jittery and not satiated. Never like to have a meal or snack without protein. I guess it adds up to a lot if I've burned, say, 1000+ calories in activity and need to eat it back.

17. Halge

Halge Silver Belt

I try to hit at least 1 gram per kilo every day. So that's about half of the traditional bodybuilder recommendation. Pretty easy, since 1 gram/kilo corresponds to a normal diet.
    I'm perfectly open to the possibility of more protein being beneficial, though.

18. Myprotein

Myprotein White Belt

If assisted you’d benefit from up to 1.5 grams per lb of bodyweight due to increased protein synthesis.

Otherwise overeating Protein is just an expensive, inefficient way of creating energy (gluconeogenesis).

7even likes this.
  19. Shcooby Dooby Doo

Shcooby Dooby Doo Blue Belt

You've called yourself 'Myprotein'. Don't tell me you are someone that works for that company are you?

20. IReallyDoTrainUFC

IReallyDoTrainUFC Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I take Cell Tech