How much power did/does Nick Diaz have in his hands?

I think you should walk up and ask him

Ask Robbie Lawyer and Paul Daley about his power.

More an issue of accumulation of punches. Opponents smothered not given breathing space between shots.

The only one to stop Paul Daley with strikes. For a long time was the only one to so to Robbie Lawler as well.

He does a really good job of mixing up random volume punches with a hard KO punch. Watch his fight with Gomi, he's throwing 10 punch combinations with one one or two bombs in there.

Right when you don't respect his power and let him come in on you, he changes tempo and hits you hard as fuck

This was a freak fluke. Not representative of Nicks power at all.
It wasn't a fluke thats what can happen if a fighter rushes in and gets clipped with his own momentum adding to the power of the punch.

Bu it wasn't indicative of Nick's power I agree.

He's basically a pillow handed volume puncher. He doesn't sit on his punches and throws a lot of winging arm punches. Even if he did try to power punch he doesn't really have the strength.

Its fine, I was the same way as an amateur boxer. we can't all be blessed with grenades tied to our hands like Rumble Johnson

He does a really good job of mixing up random volume punches with a hard KO punch. Watch his fight with Gomi, he's throwing 10 punch combinations with one one or two bombs in there.

Right when you don't respect his power and let him come in on you, he changes tempo and hits you hard as fuck
This. It is pure art when he can do that.

Pretty basic tho. He touches guys in the body a couple of times (left-rigt-left-right...) and when they put their hands to cover the body he smashes the head with a hook. And viceversa. Dude is a helluva boxer for MMA.

This. It is pure art when he can do that.

Pretty basic tho. He touches guys in the body a couple of times (left-rigt-left-right...) and when they put their hands to cover the body he smashes the head with a hook. And viceversa. Dude is a helluva boxer for MMA.
i8ItMfBjtvyvg.gif

That body punch did some damage to GSP. Watch him bounce it off to check his mobility after eating it clean.

he is not a one punch ko power guy, no. but "out-cardio"ing isn't a very complete picture at all. yes he has cardio, but he beats guys with punches.

this
article calls it "flat footed, volume punching style of attack."

When Nick Diaz fights...he's looking to press forward, trap his opponents in a corner and hooks to the head and body until his hand gets raised. With his opponents standing completely still and trapped against the fence Diaz doesn't need footwork, he doesn't need speed, and he doesn't need tons of defense....Trapped in a corner, Nick Diaz was able to hack apart Takanori Gomi, B.J. Penn, Paul Daley, Evangelista Santos, Frank Shamrock, Scott Smith and countless others with his flat footed, volume punching style of attack.
Frank Shamrock once said "his punches don't hurt, but after 100 of them you fall down". when asked why he fell down if they don't hurt, he replied with confused enthusiasm "I don't know!"

tough chin, good cardio, flat footed, punches in bunches. again, the article above explains it well. "Nick Diaz is simply designed to fight the way he fights, and not many other fighters are."

that's about as best as his fighting-style can be described.

He KO'd almost prime Lawler. Daley, dropped Gomi.

He may not have pure ko power but as a volume puncher he wears guys down and eventually drops them from body and headshots combined.

If Nate used the body combos as well as his brother Nick would get a lot more credit.

he has a power ratio of 1 diaz to 0.25 carwins

Back