How much of a draw Yoel is?

L

Lissove

His instagram and twitter aren't popular, but videos and highlights of him on youtube are racking hundreds of thousands of views.

I see casuals buying into seeing this strange but lovable monster who KOs people in a such fashion you can never know with what he will win next. And yes, lovable. Different than his opponents, he has never, save calling bisping a duck, ever disrespected his rivals. Even when Jacare and Weidman and even Kennedy were on the offense, he responded with respect.

Don't ever see him pulling in McG numbers, but Yoel is a beast.

Not a huge draw. But he is very exciting and has the look to be marketable. We will find out when he is champ.

Yoel is a joke Mike will humiliate him and have Yoel questioning his faith in god.

He's as exciting as it comes, but his age and poor English make him a tough sell. I'll always watch him but I can't see casual fans tuning in.

It's hard to say. And a fight with Mikey won't help clear things up either. When Bisping is going to get his ass kicked, the whole world tunes in.

Only baby Jesus and God no

Yoel is a joke Mike will humiliate him and have Yoel questioning his faith in god.
Too bad Bisping doesn't share you confidence or else maybe this match would've taken place already.

Yoel's draw-ceiling would be somewhere just below Anderson imo (would req he become a champ + defend a lot obviously).

I think the reason regular people hear about Yoel are the same reasons they'd have heard of Anderson. Highlight reel KOs, seen as super dangerous. Non-American, physically remarkable in different ways. English speaking & promotional efforts are similar (and sort of strange voices).

Yoel may have some more relevant rivals which helps, and being a former Olympian is a bonus.

What Anderson has though is Brazil, a huge guaranteed market to supplement his American and worldwide popularity. Yoel is also getting-on in age, making an Anderson-esque run unlikely.

much more than you imagine

even casuals want to see another bisping KO face

and yoel will deliver

Well, he never verbally disrespected his opponents, but being a big cheat is pretty disrespectful in itself.

much more than you imagine

even casuals want to see another bisping KO face

and yoel will deliver

This.
Remember the Khabib vs Ferguson hype? A co-main-event interim-title fight...
Even casuals hyped the fuck out of it. UFC thinks all they wanna see is big stars facing each other, when really they
lol1.gif

I've said it before, all the UFC's real stars and draws happened "organically". Ronda, Conor, Khabib (big deal in Russia) they came out of nowhere. They weren't forced, at least not in the beginning. And if they try to force (super)fights then it will bite them in their own ass. Because they won't create a new star that way.

If they'd promote the fucking highlight-reel of the monster that is Yoel Romero then casuals will hop on the hype-train. He has funny post-fight interviews aswell.

Somthing like 10 000 people maybe, some american-cuban fans might buy it?

Last edited:
One day I hope everyone man and woman in the UFC roster would be like Yoel... Roid-fueled steroidfreak
hqdefault.jpg

Yoel is a great fighter, but he is not a draw. The only reason anyone cares about him just now is because of Bisping. When the fight is over, everyone will forget Romero (And there will be movies about Bisping).

Could be speaking the obvious here but the reality of drawing in sport has to do with dominance (most of the time) someone who runs through people in a dominate way.

You can hate Ronda and most of us do but she was steamrolling everyone in her way and THAT'S what was the draw. The personality has always been pure shit from the start. Didn't matter. She was crushing opponents.

Conor mostly as well. Sure he's got personality but it's the crushing left hand, 13 seconds on Aldo etc. etc. Its very debatable that he's really truly very good. I actually think he's very overrated similar to how Ronda was before being exposed and tanking. But its his crushing run of knockouts that made people pay attention.

Yoel is a great fighter but he's got to crush through 4 or 5 guys in row starting now to really gather some widespread attention. If you showed 10 people on the street a picture of him I'd be surprised if 1 could tell you who he is. Conor? Ronda? 6 or 7 maybe?

GSP is/was very popular during his reign but was he a "household" name? I don't think so. He lacked the crazy knockout plow overs that casuals crave.

Yoel is a great fighter, but he is not a draw. The only reason anyone cares about him just now is because of Bisping. When the fight is over, everyone will forget Romero (And there will be movies about Bisping).
B ahan.gif

He's as exciting as it comes, but his age and poor English make him a tough sell. I'll always watch him but I can't see casual fans tuning in.
Speaking English is overrated, see GGG. Yoel can display that type of "cool" English

Back