How much of a draw Yoel is?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Lissove, May 19, 2017.

1. Lissove Blue Belt

Lissove
    His instagram and twitter aren't popular, but videos and highlights of him on youtube are racking hundreds of thousands of views.

I see casuals buying into seeing this strange but lovable monster who KOs people in a such fashion you can never know with what he will win next. And yes, lovable. Different than his opponents, he has never, save calling bisping a duck, ever disrespected his rivals. Even when Jacare and Weidman and even Kennedy were on the offense, he responded with respect.

2. Arm Barbarian Gold Belt

Arm Barbarian
    Don't ever see him pulling in McG numbers, but Yoel is a beast.

3. Kung Fu Tze Attitude Of Indifference

Kung Fu Tze
    Not a huge draw. But he is very exciting and has the look to be marketable. We will find out when he is champ.

4. Swarthy Winds of War come.

Swarthy
    Yoel is a joke Mike will humiliate him and have Yoel questioning his faith in god.

5. ccm22 White Belt

ccm22
    He's as exciting as it comes, but his age and poor English make him a tough sell. I'll always watch him but I can't see casual fans tuning in.

numskully and Arm Barbarian like this.
  6. the answer Downhill asshole

the answer
    bout tree fiddy.

7. cshireman4 Blue Belt

cshireman4
    It's hard to say. And a fight with Mikey won't help clear things up either. When Bisping is going to get his ass kicked, the whole world tunes in.

8. 007 License to Kill

Only baby Jesus and God no

9. A_bomb47 Wha happan to you Sherdog?

A_bomb47
    Too bad Bisping doesn't share you confidence or else maybe this match would've taken place already.

10. Swarthy Winds of War come.

Swarthy
    LOL false narrative moron.

11. Bmurray Brown Belt

Bmurray
    Yoel's draw-ceiling would be somewhere just below Anderson imo (would req he become a champ + defend a lot obviously).

I think the reason regular people hear about Yoel are the same reasons they'd have heard of Anderson. Highlight reel KOs, seen as super dangerous. Non-American, physically remarkable in different ways. English speaking & promotional efforts are similar (and sort of strange voices).

Yoel may have some more relevant rivals which helps, and being a former Olympian is a bonus.

What Anderson has though is Brazil, a huge guaranteed market to supplement his American and worldwide popularity. Yoel is also getting-on in age, making an Anderson-esque run unlikely.

12. yeguiza Brown Belt

yeguiza
    much more than you imagine

even casuals want to see another bisping KO face

and yoel will deliver

13. Ja Jas Purple Belt

Ja Jas
    Well, he never verbally disrespected his opponents, but being a big cheat is pretty disrespectful in itself.

14. VVarhead Green Belt

VVarhead
    This.
    Remember the Khabib vs Ferguson hype? A co-main-event interim-title fight...
    Even casuals hyped the fuck out of it. UFC thinks all they wanna see is big stars facing each other, when really they [​IMG] .

I've said it before, all the UFC's real stars and draws happened "organically". Ronda, Conor, Khabib (big deal in Russia) they came out of nowhere. They weren't forced, at least not in the beginning. And if they try to force (super)fights then it will bite them in their own ass. Because they won't create a new star that way.

If they'd promote the fucking highlight-reel of the monster that is Yoel Romero then casuals will hop on the hype-train. He has funny post-fight interviews aswell.

yeguiza likes this.
  15. BryanTheFighter Yellow Card

BryanTheFighter
    nutin like 10 000 people maybe, some american-cuban fans might buy it?

16. DaWrassler007 I like men, I'd like to be MAN-handled

DaWrassler007
    One day I hope everyone man and woman in the UFC roster would be like Yoel... Roid-fueled steroidfreak [​IMG]

17. thobra Brown Belt

thobra
    Yoel is a great fighter, but he is not a draw. The only reason anyone cares about him just now is because of Bisping. When the fight is over, everyone will forget Romero (And there will be movies about Bisping).

18. fiftywattmafia Green Belt

fiftywattmafia
    Could be speaking the obvious here but the reality of drawing in sport has to do with dominance (most of the time) someone who runs through people in a dominate way.

You can hate Ronda and most of us do but she was steamrolling everyone in her way and THAT'S what was the draw. The personality has always been pure shit from the start. Didn't matter. She was crushing opponents.

Conor mostly as well. Sure he's got personality but it's the crushing left hand, 13 seconds on Aldo etc. etc. Its very debatable that he's really truly very good. I actually think he's very overrated similar to how Ronda was before being exposed and tanking. But its his crushing run of knockouts that made people pay attention.

Yoel is a great fighter but he's got to crush through 4 or 5 guys in row starting now to really gather some widespread attention. If you showed 10 people on the street a picture of him I'd be surprised if 1 could tell you who he is. Conor? Ronda? 6 or 7 maybe?

GSP is/was very popular during his reign but was he a "household" name? I don't think so. He lacked the crazy knockout plow overs that casuals crave.

19. DaPunkMinowaMan #Early Pancrase[1990s] / Rings / Vale Tudo[1980s]

DaPunkMinowaMan
    B ahan.gif

yeguiza likes this.
  20. DaPunkMinowaMan #Early Pancrase[1990s] / Rings / Vale Tudo[1980s]

DaPunkMinowaMan
    Speaking English is overrated, see GGG. Yoel can display that type of "cool" English