How much is too much?

Kingbedlam

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm looking to get back into BJJ in January after a 2.5 year hiatus (left at 4-stripe white belt). I really want to immerse myself into the sport again, and lose some weight in the process. I also want to try to make up for some loss time (maybe even compete a little) but I'm 42 ,so I'm worried about getting hurt or burning out if I go too hard too fast.

So my question is how many hours a week should I dedicate to training without overdoing it?

As a hobbyist- 2-3, hour and a half classes per week is fine. I think you can make consistent progress over time.

As a competitor? You probably need 4-6 classes per week, plus additional cardio / weight workouts.

At 42- just be a hobbyist and enjoy the sport until your 70's. Train, do some yoga, stretch and don't overdo it.

Only you know how much is enough or too much, listen to your body and it'll tell what's the right amount

Depends a lot on what's going on in your classes

I know some gyms like to do hard workouts, others are just techniques and some rolling.

You can't consider drilling and techniques as training time.

I usually have 30-45 minutes of rolling every classes, I consider it as being as hard on the body as if I did 1 hour of running or 1 hour of doing weights.

I know that my body can take 6 hours a week of training, because I've been training almost everyday for years.

But BJJ is another kind of beast and I need to do a lot of exercices to avoid injuries, which I do every morning and before every classes.

Right now I'm able to go to classes 4-5 times a week.

and be sure to pay attention to your lower back, some people hurt it in BJJ by being on their back too much curling forward...if that makes sense. (like doing a sit up where you curl forward) i think its the cobra position in yoga that helps keep discs in line. good luck!

and be sure to pay attention to your lower back, some people hurt it in BJJ by being on their back too much curling forward...if that makes sense. (like doing a sit up where you curl forward) i think its the cobra position in yoga that helps keep discs in line. good luck!

We had 2 guys out of actions for a couple months because of lower back issues, it triggered from a basic shrimp but the cause must be from too much use.

Stretching and bodyweight strength training is the key for men over 30.

and for anyone who sits at a desk most of the work day, pay attention to not only your posture, but how you're sitting. i was recently having some numbness in my right leg, and realized it was from how i was sitting. the computer monitor was off to my left, so i was slightly turned, and getting my lower right back all messed up. fixed now though

Just go back because you want to have fun. Not everyone is the same so you will have to pay attention to how you feel. Take the first class and see how you feel after that. Then take the second and so on. Eventually you should be able to find a routine that works for you. You should not be in pain or sore all the time. If you want to drop some weight, changing what you are eating might have a bigger impact. You are 42 so you may not be able to do everything that others do and that is fine. Just take your time and do what you can. Don't worry about anything else but enjoying the classes and training. If you are having a good time you will want to keep going back.

I'm looking to get back into BJJ in January after a 2.5 year hiatus (left at 4-stripe white belt). I really want to immerse myself into the sport again, and lose some weight in the process. I also want to try to make up for some loss time (maybe even compete a little) but I'm 42 ,so I'm worried about getting hurt or burning out if I go too hard too fast.

So my question is how many hours a week should I dedicate to training without overdoing it?

Don’t worry about how many hours you should be putting in.

At your age and skill level, you should just focus on having fun and listening to your body. Have FUN. Good luck.

Don’t worry about how many hours you should be putting in.

At your age and skill level, you should just focus on having fun and listening to your body. Have FUN. Good luck.

Honestly I think that's the only real reason to do bjj period. Almost all the benefits of bjj can be found elsewhere, except maybe ease of access, guard stuff, and subs.

Honestly I think that's the only real reason to do bjj period. Almost all the benefits of bjj can be found elsewhere, except maybe ease of access, guard stuff, and subs.

Yeah, I tried to do aerobics and other (cheaper) stuff over the last 2.5 years, but I found those pursuits boring. Bjj interests me far more on multiple levels.

Thanks for the responses everyone. You've been a big help. January can't come fast enough.

Isimple listen to your body. If you’re scared of being hurt this isn’t the sport for you. 42 isn’t old, old is when you think you are. Stay on the mats as long as you can. Hello was on the mats a few weeks before he died.

Back