how much instruction in grappling did bruce lee have?

It does piss me off when people say that he was the grandfather of MMA. He really wasnt. Just because he said that people need to assimilate knowledge from different martial arts doesnt make him the worlds first mixed martial artist.

If you think this you need to jump off his nuts and read your history books.

Bruce has that reputation because he was the most recent historical martial artist (preceding the UFC of course) to advocate MMA publicly to a large group of Americans. He truly was the grandfather of MMA for many American martial artists, myself included.

That being said, he was definitely not the only martial artist who did this. There are plenty of examples of MMA stylists well before his time (Kano himself for one), and I'm sure it extends much further back into history as well.

But you have to admit that Bruce did have a major impact on opening the eyes of martial artists to MMA concepts. Because he did so recently and affected quite a lot of Americans with his teachings, it is reflected in his legacy.

Not to mention the fact that people had been crosstraining in striking and grappling for many many years. So he popularized it through movies? So what? Whats your point. Bruce trained with wrestlers, Judoka and Boxers....

There were many men around in his time who would have submitted him or knocked him out. Reality check.

Who were those people then who "would" submitted/knock out Bruce?:rolleyes:

Any source to that? hm:icon_neut

Wasn't it Van Damme who said he was a fighter and bruce lee was an actor when he was asked about who would win?

Have some memory of it but can't verify it.

Wasn't it Van Damme who said he was a fighter and bruce lee was an actor when he was asked about who would win?

Have some memory of it but can't verify it.
dont bring vandamme in this, troll.

You dont answer my question even its not towards you.

Who could have subbed kod bruce lee while he still lived?

There were many men around in his time who would have submitted him or knocked him out. Reality check.

Its kinda funny that some noob like Ryo, says that many men could have subbed/kod him, but if somebody askes for examples it suddenly becomes very quiet...:icon_lol:

Its kinda funny that some noob like Ryo, says that many men could have subbed/kod him, but if somebody askes for examples it suddenly becomes very quiet...:icon_lol:

Obviously nobody could ever K.O him, not even by getting a lucky strike. Not even if he died in the ring, the dude was unknockoutable. But who would win, the terminator, bruce lee or pikachu?

I know they weren't alive at the same time but it would be the battle of the century.

Kinda like Maradona, Pele or Ronaldo.

Obviously nobody could ever K.O him, not even by getting a lucky strike. Not even if he died in the ring, the dude was unknockoutable. But who would win, the terminator, bruce lee or pikachu?

I know they weren't alive at the same time but it would be the battle of the century.

Kinda like Maradona, Pele or Ronaldo.

terminator he would shoot at them:icon_chee

Will you stop cyber stalking me you Queer....

I can name lots of people who could have KO'd or submitted bruce, I just really didnt find your post on the top of my list of importance.

Sub him

Masahiko Kimura
Isao Okano
Isao Inokumo
Anton Geesink
Carlson Gracie

KO'd him

Muhammad Alli
Sonny Liston
Sugar Ray Robinson
Floyd Patterson
Rocky Marciano

Thats just a small list of the more popular fighters...

I can name lots of people who could have KO'd or submitted bruce, I just really didnt find your post on the top of my list of importance.

Sub him

Masahiko Kimura
Isao Okano
Isao Inokumo
Anton Geesink
Carlson Gracie

KO'd him

Muhammad Alli
Sonny Liston
Sugar Ray Robinson
Floyd Patterson
Rocky Marciano

You just put some boxers & submissions guys up, LOL.
Bruce would outkick those boxers & he wouldnt let him self get caught by those sub guys, he is pretty fast.
So your arguments are pretty "queer", but thanks for trying :icon_lol:

Sub him

Masahiko Kimura
Isao Okano
Isao Inokumo
Anton Geesink
Carlson Gracie

KO'd him

Muhammad Alli
Sonny Liston
Sugar Ray Robinson
Floyd Patterson
Rocky Marciano

Sugar Ray Robinson would outstrike Bruce Lee??? Are you on crack????

Sub him

Masahiko Kimura
Isao Okano
Isao Inokumo
Anton Geesink
Carlson Gracie

KO'd him

Muhammad Alli
Sonny Liston
Sugar Ray Robinson
Floyd Patterson
Rocky Marciano

Willie Pep would probably KO him too.

Sub him

Masahiko Kimura
Isao Okano
Isao Inokumo
Anton Geesink
Carlson Gracie

KO'd him

Muhammad Alli
Sonny Liston
Sugar Ray Robinson
Floyd Patterson
Rocky Marciano

Anyone COULD have KO'd/submitted Bruce Lee. Would have is another matter.

Not to mention, with the exception of the Brazilians, all those guys are MUCH heavier than Bruce Lee. Muhammad Ali, Sonny Liston, Rocky Marciano? Is there a reason why you only listed HEAVYWEIGHT boxers to beat 140lb Bruce Lee? Anton Geesink weighed 320 lbs. GTFO with that ridiculous shit.

Oyama trained with Kimura and Kimura was actually an instructor in Oyama's school...so, Oyama was at least very versed in grappling, given his training with arguably the greatest grappler of all time.

I knew that Oyama cross trained in Judo but wondered why he never added it to his Karate.

"Kimura encouraged Oyama to take up judo so that he would have an understanding of the art's ground techniques. Kimura then introduced Oyama to the Sone Dojo in Nakano, Tokyo, where he trained regularly for four years, eventually gaining his 4th Dan in this discipline.
"

Bruce won a few amateur boxing event also, he had some skills.

Bruce has that reputation because he was the most recent historical martial artist (preceding the UFC of course) to advocate MMA publicly to a large group of Americans. He truly was the grandfather of MMA for many American martial artists, myself included.

That being said, he was definitely not the only martial artist who did this. There are plenty of examples of MMA stylists well before his time (Kano himself for one), and I'm sure it extends much further back into history as well.

But you have to admit that Bruce did have a major impact on opening the eyes of martial artists to MMA concepts. Because he did so recently and affected quite a lot of Americans with his teachings, it is reflected in his legacy.

Thank you. A very informative and interesting thread turned into a pointless pissing match by a few with personal agendas. Like it or not he was one of the great contributors to modern philosophies of learning martial arts and helped, along iwth many others, molded the way people thought about martial arts. Praising him isn't taking anything away from those other figures, it's really unfortunate that a few posters here just can't understand or won't accept that concept.

Anyone COULD have KO'd/submitted Bruce Lee. Would have is another matter.

Not to mention, with the exception of the Brazilians, all those guys are MUCH heavier than Bruce Lee. Muhammad Ali, Sonny Liston, Rocky Marciano? Is there a reason why you only listed HEAVYWEIGHT boxers to beat 140lb Bruce Lee? Anton Geesink weighed 320 lbs. GTFO with that ridiculous shit.

Fuck off noob....

He said name some guys that could KO or submit him.... I did just that. He didnt specify weightclass....

And there is no "would have" about it. Bruce Lee was not a pro-fighter, he would have got KTFO if he had stood toe to toe with any of those guys, and he would have got smashed and submitted by any of the grapplers I named.

BTW...... Isao Okano and Mashiko Kimura were NOT MUCH heavier then Bruce Lee. They were not heavyweights. And Rocky Marciano weighted in the 180's his entire career..... does that sound like a fucking heavyweight to you? Sugar Ray Robinson is a heavyweight? LMAO! are you kidding me?

If you would like, I could name dozens of fighters closer to Bruce's weight that would have fucked him up? WOuld that make you happy?

Last edited:
Bruce was 130 lbs, give or take. What fighter at 150lbs and under would mess with him back in the day?

Bruce was up to 160 pounds at the height of his weightlifting training. Read up...

Back