How much heavier do fighters weigh on fight day?

It's wrong that fighters use medically risky methods (such as severe dehydration) to fight in weight classes well below their natural weights. It's also unfair to other fighters unwilling to take those risks. MMA sanctioning bodies should assign each fighter to a weight class where dangerous cuts are not necessary. This would remove from contention some fighters who rely hard cuts and then show up 15lbs heavier than their opponent, but so what - the best fighters naturally in each weight class would contend.

How sanctioning bodies would select the weight class for a given fighter would initially be based on a combination of medical exam, a fighter's history, and averages for fighters of the pertaining height range. Later, a fighter might be permitted to move down depending on similar considerations, but it will become more common for fighters to be moved up, either by choice, or by mandate if they ever fail to make their assigned minimum.

So, under this system, for example, Barao would not be allowed to fight at bantamweight.

The guy asked a basic question n you feel the need to share your manifesto?

You don't agree with state of weight divisions in mma? Great! Start a thread about it.

After the weigh ins, how much do fighters weigh when they enter the octagon after they've rehydrated etc.

Could anyone give me examples such as Weidman (who looks like a big middleweight), he weighs 84 kg during weigh ins but how much does he weigh when entering the octagon?

For the lower male classes I'd guess 25 pounds heavier. At WW or above I'd say 30-35 pounds.

For the women, I think 15 pounds heavier for BW. No idea on SWs though. Maybe 125-130ish unless they just walk around lighter than that.

John Dodson is the true P4P king if he wasn't trolling when he posted a picture of himself rehydrated back up to 154 lbs. That's beyond insane.

Woodley puts 24 pounds on in a day? Is that possible for a WW? Not saying you're wrong, but thats a hell of a lot.

I would think muscular guys can cut more.

All top weight cutters are usually muscular guys with low bf

She does man. I heard it's actually closer to 190lbs when she steps in the cage.

It's physically impossible to cut 27% of your body mass in water weight, especially for a woman. They have fat deposits which make cutting weight that much more difficult. The average woman has roughly 25% of her total weight in fat deposits around the breasts, thighs, hips, and buttocks. This may be lower in female athletes, but it's absurd to think a woman who weighs 185lbs cuts 50lbs to make weight, or that a fighter balloons up past their typical weight in under 30 hours and fights above their walking around weight.

The human body is comprised of about 60% water. This is everything from blood plasma and cerebral spinal fluid to organ and bone water content. So assuming Ronda cuts from around 185 to begin with, if she's cutting 50lbs to make weight she's cutting almost half the water in her body. The body cannot function at 50% of it's usual water weight.

In short, she doesn't cut 50lbs to make 135. And if she doesn't cut that much, it's impossible to sustain a weight gain equal to more than she cuts from over the course of a day or slightly longer. The body can only retain so much water in that amount of time.

For the lower male classes I'd guess 25 pounds heavier. At WW or above I'd say 30-35 pounds.

For the women, I think 15 pounds heavier for BW. No idea on SWs though. Maybe 125-130ish unless they just walk around lighter than that.

It's highly variable depending on the fighter, somebody like Hendo at 205 cuts less than Claudia Gadelha at 115 lol. I would guess the average male water cut is not 30-35 at any weight though...

Last edited:
It's physically impossible to cut 27% of your body mass in water weight, especially for a woman. They have fat deposits which make cutting weight that much more difficult. The average woman has roughly 25% of her total weight in fat deposits around the breasts, thighs, hips, and buttocks. This may be lower in female athletes, but it's absurd to think a woman who weighs 185lbs cuts 50lbs to make weight, or that a fighter balloons up past their typical weight in under 30 hours and fights above their walking around weight.

The human body is comprised of about 60% water. This is everything from blood plasma and cerebral spinal fluid to organ and bone water content. So assuming Ronda cuts from around 185 to begin with, if she's cutting 50lbs to make weight she's cutting almost half the water in her body. The body cannot function at 50% of it's usual water weight.

In short, she doesn't cut 50lbs to make 135. And if she doesn't cut that much, it's impossible to sustain a weight gain equal to more than she cuts from over the course of a day or slightly longer. The body can only retain so much water in that amount of time.

That guy knows Ronda walks at about 150. He's just being an unimaginative hater.

Ok, they are pulling your leg, geez.

Hey, anyone have that pic of Alves on the scale on fight day?

It's highly variable depending on the fighter, somebody like Hendo at 205 cuts less than Claudia Gadelha at 115 lol.

IMO Claudia cuts an astronomical amount for a woman. She says she walks at 140 but I'm willing to bet it's more 145-150.

Yeah, Hendo and some other fighters cut less than what I said. That was more my guess on what the average is based on what I've heard through the years.

Their in cage weight goes up exponentially based on how much the shertard discussing their weight dislikes them.

She does man. I heard it's actually closer to 190lbs when she steps in the cage.

Big understatement. Ronda is closer to 200 lbs on fight night, around 197-198 I hear from very legitimate sources.

IMO Claudia cuts an astronomical amount for a woman. She says she walks at 140 but I'm willing to bet it's more 145-150.

Yeah, Hendo and some other fighters cut less than what I said. That was more my guess on what the average is based on what I've heard through the years.

Think 30-35 might still be a bit high for an average water cut even at higher weights.

Big understatement. Ronda is closer to 200 lbs on fight night, around 197-198 I hear from very legitimate sources.

I've seen Honda at the same height as Carwin, who's walk around height is 6'14, as we all know.

Mighty Mouse said he weighed 140 on fight day.
Aldo 161
Lombard 186
Woodley 195
Weidman 208

Interestig numbers. Thought Lombard and Aldo would be bigger TBH. I thought I read somewhere that he was in the high 160's a while back, but maybe I misremember.

Jon Jones 227
Conor McGregor 165
Rory MacDonald 185

Isn't Jones closer to 218 come fight time?

Also, Palelei said he's about 125 kg or 275 lbs during fight time.

Usually 10-20lbs. I'd say an average is 15lbs. +20lbs is not more rare and +25lbs is even more rare and starts approaching dangerous.

30lbs or more is death territory or will destroy your body.

Interestig numbers. Thought Lombard and Aldo would be bigger TBH. I thought I read somewhere that he was in the high 160's a while back, but maybe I misremember.

Isn't Jones closer to 218 come fight time?

Also, Palelei said he's about 125 kg or 275 lbs during fight time.

Jones is. He isn't that heavy he is just top heavy. If his legs were as developed as his upper body he wouldn't be able to make LHW.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back