How much has Conor's developed his grappling / jiu-jitsu skills?

lol how is that relevant to Conor vs Khabib so many things are different in that example
Whats different? Jones was a juco wrestler vs DC Olympian. Conor is a brown belt vs Khabib who won some regional Sambo comps as a child

Whats different? Jones was a juco wrestler vs DC Olympian. Conor is a brown belt vs Khabib who won some regional Sambo comps as a child

Everything is different in the examples.

Jones is WAY bigger than DC height wise, Conor and Khabib are nearly the same in height.

Jones had wrestling experience prior to MMA just like DC had (albeit not as good)

Conor has no grappling experience before MMA, Khabib has tons of accomplishments.

• World Combat Sambo Federation
    • 2009 World Combat Sambo Championships (-74 kg) Gold Medalist
    • 2010 World Cup in Combat Sambo (-82 kg) Silver Medalist
    • 2010 World Combat Sambo Championships (-82 kg) Gold Medalist
  • Combat Sambo Federation of Russia
    • 2009 Russian Combat Sambo Championships (-74 kg) Gold Medalist
  • All-Russian Sambo Federation
    • Russian Combat Sambo National Championships 21st (2010)
    + NoGi wins with NAGA in 2012

you want to downplay Khabib's grappling just so it fits your argument

Everything is different in the examples.

Jones is WAY bigger than DC height wise, Conor and Khabib are nearly the same in height.

Jones had wrestling experience prior to MMA just like DC had (albeit not as good)

Conor has no grappling experience before MMA, Khabib has tons of accomplishments.

• World Combat Sambo Federation
    • 2009 World Combat Sambo Championships (-74 kg) Gold Medalist
    • 2010 World Cup in Combat Sambo (-82 kg) Silver Medalist
    • 2010 World Combat Sambo Championships (-82 kg) Gold Medalist
  • Combat Sambo Federation of Russia
    • 2009 Russian Combat Sambo Championships (-74 kg) Gold Medalist
  • All-Russian Sambo Federation
    • Russian Combat Sambo National Championships 21st (2010)
    + NoGi wins with NAGA in 2012
you want to downplay Khabib's grappling just so it fits your argument
Sambo is regional its not like its widely practiced globally his accomplishments are very overrated

If I was connor I'd be asking Michael Bisping to come in and teach me the art of getting up even though you have no wrestling or especially good grappling background.

2. Is it possible it has developed to the point where he can pose a legitimate threat to Khabib on the ground?
no.

he will grab on for dear life (e.g. stall and hope for standup), or stand up.

and when i say "stall and hope for a standup" i'm not being insulting. it's a tactic many fighters use, every card.

but no, he won't be a threat.

Conor’s ground game is underrated, far above a guy like Barboza, and also better than Iaquinta’s, so he should look a lot better than those two on the floor if it goes there.

That said, he’s no Demian Maia or anything, & Khabib is an absolute monolith on top, so Conor will be in for the fight of his life if he can’t stay away from the takedowns.

You talking about Michael Johnson and Barboza? They're not exactly wizards.
Yeah, but again, Conor is even less capable off his back then them (if the DIaz and Mendes fights are any indication)

Nobody envisioned Jones taking DC down at will with absolute ease
Nobody? I think many who understood what Jones does with his mma skill set, knew he could take DC down if the opportunity presented itself.
Sambo is regional its not like its widely practiced globally his accomplishments are very overrated
Sambo is practiced all over the world, maybe not as popular as other Martial Arts, but it is def a well received Martial Art to those who are knowledgeable about Martial Arts. Khabib's are very well respected by many within the various Grappling communities, MMA Trainers and Combat Sports Fighters.

In regard to what TS said, I have a Brown Belt in Judo, wrestled in HS and college, plus have a Blue belt in BJJ.. I have also spent time at 10th Planet learning their no-gi system. Danis isn't really the BJJ "whiz", that he is made out to be, nor is he a very effective Professor/Instructor. McGregor has been off for awhile, but how much time has he actually spent training his ground game skill sets, such as BJJ, Wrestling, etc.. would be the bigger question. One can progress within the time he has been away, but to what extent, that varies. I would be more concerned with how he has progressed his Wrestling skill sets, more so then his BJJ game.. and Danis, is not going to aid much in the Wrestling dept.

Conor’s ground game is underrated, far above a guy like Barboza, and also better than Iaquinta’s, so he should look a lot better than those two on the floor if it goes there.

That said, he’s no Demian Maia or anything, & Khabib is an absolute monolith on top, so Conor will be in for the fight of his life if he can’t stay away from the takedowns.
he did very well against Mendes. took very little damage. few seem willing to acknowledge how well.

yes Khabib is no Mendes. yes Mendes was short notice. yes, yes yes. we all know that caveats. he still did very well and few seem willing to acknowledge how well.

I don't think Conor takes the Khabib fight unless he feels he's fine. Conor loses and his legacy is pretty much gone. Lose to Nate...who cares? He went up 2 weight classes and it really means nothing. But this one? Much more important.

he did very well against Mendes. took very little damage. few seem willing to acknowledge how well.

yes Khabib is no Mendes. yes Mendes was short notice. yes, yes yes. we all know that caveats. he still did very well and few seem willing to acknowledge how well.

Got back to his feet every single time except for one, when the round ended, conceded zero guard passes, and did enough damage with elbows off his back that Chad tried to complain to the ref about it, who told him to shut up and fight.

And that was 3+ years ago in Conor’s ground game, with a shot knee.

Definitely an underrated grappling performance from Conor there

I think Conor has been working his grappling and jiu-jitsu with Dillon Danis for 3-4 years now.

He has also been working harder on his wrestling with the Moldavian's for the last 2 years.

Do we have any high level grapplers / jiu-jitsu practitioners that can give their opinion on:

1. How much do you think Conor's grappling / jiu-jitsu has developed in the last 2-3 years?
2. Is it possible it has developed to the point where he can pose a legitimate threat to Khabib on the ground?
3. Besides working on his takedown defence, what specifically do you think he has been working on the most?

Do we have any high level practitioners / coaches on Sherdog with some opinions?

It's a tricky thing with Conor and seeing how his grappling has developed. The last time we really saw Conor grapple was vs Nate 2 1/2 years ago. Since then he fought Nate again and Eddie and we havent seen any grappling cause they couldnt get him down, the only time Nate did he got swept. So he has been putting the work into his grappling the last two camps knowing that he's facing guys with grappling and wrestling. We really don't know how much better he's gotton, but the Eddie fight showed how strong his tdd is, Eddie didn't even come close to getting him down.

We're gonna see in a few weeks 100%. I think he's working on a few things.....1.TDD very heavily and that's hand positioning, clinch positioning, sprawling and just overall defending takedowns. 2. Getting up of his back, sweeps, reversals etc. I don't think he wants to emphasize too much on actually grappling with Khabib. And that is the right strategy for a master grappler like Khabib. Rather than focusing on many things, he focuses heavily on two important ones so Khabibs strengths are weakened and Conor gets the fight where he wants it. Maia and Jacare are the best at BJJ and have a elite skill set, but if a opponent has phenomenal tdd all those skills those guys have mean zero.

Khabib was a Euro pankration champion as well wasn't he?
yea so what, that's like being a new york state karate champion.

khabib has zero wrestling accomplishments. Freestyle/greco wrestling are bigger/more competitive than sambo and pankration by miles

Yeah, but again, Conor is even less capable off his back then them (if the DIaz and Mendes fights are any indication)

You really think either Barboza or Johnson could sweep Diaz or escape Mendes' 1st round crucifix?

Got back to his feet every single time except for one, when the round ended, conceded zero guard passes, and did enough damage with elbows off his back that Chad tried to complain to the ref about it, who told him to shut up and fight.

And that was 3+ years ago in Conor’s ground game, with a shot knee.

Definitely an underrated grappling performance from Conor there
man, ive been shouting this for years lol glad to finally see someone else sharing the sentiment

he did extremely well in that fight

Back