how much grappling in Kenpo karate | Page 5

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by abhi, May 11, 2006.

1. SummerStriker Black Belt

SummerStriker
    The secret Judo eye flick. Works every time.

2. SummerStriker Black Belt

SummerStriker
    "This technique comes from boxing. Feint a left hook and hit them with your elbow."

TheGZA likes this.
  3. rmongler Brown Belt

rmongler
    Tbf that one does actually come from boxing, though probably not the way they show it. Old carny fighters would call it the 'sawing' hook. Right up there with 'accidentally' missing your uppercut up on the ropes, or leading with your head while ducking under and up into the clinch.

It aint a foul if the ref don't see it!

4. SummerStriker Black Belt

SummerStriker
    I hear ya ;)

5. Sami Ibrahim White Belt

Sami Ibrahim
    Excellent question. I will start with why not do some shadow boxing, you are starting from the premise that the student knows nothing about fighting, not even how to make a fist correctly yet alone throw a punch with good balance and structure so to have them randomly shadow box without any tools in their tool box such as footwork, evasive body maneuvers, strikes and so on would leave them with nothing worth shadow boxing with.

Why not just hit pads, because you have not learned how to keep your wrist lined up with your fist nor have you learned not to telegraph your punches, nor have you learned how to even launch a single strike to a given target without leaving yourself off balance and exposed, the premise again is that the student knows nothing about fighting so before they do get into making contact with the pads they get to learn the tedious and boring lessons that involving how to launch a specific strike correctly and during that learning process an example is given as you would when teaching someone a new word, you give it a definition and use it in an example sentence (the scripted technique).

Why not light sparring, again because the premise is the student knows nothing about fighting yet, they start at the very beginning with how to pay attention, stand firmly and move in a balanced manner, we don't want to teach them how to throw disconnected and powerless strikes so we build from the ground up movement by movement and step by step.

Now after they learn the simple things like how to breath, stand firm and move in a balanced and agile manner, when they have learned how to strike, where to strike and when to strike, when not to strike and why to strike, when they have under the watchful eye of a qualified instructor developed good habits and have some tools then they can work pads, shadow box and light spar.

6. Sami Ibrahim White Belt

Sami Ibrahim
    Imagine for a minute that someone who trained in Muay Thai in Thailand, kicking trees and fighting full contact since they were a kid decides they are going to design a Muay Thai Program for soccer moms and little kids in the litigious US of A. They may start off teaching in a similar manner to how they trained in Thailand but it won't take long for the first court hearing, why because little Timmy didn't make a good fist and sprained his wrist and Mommy needs a new car.

The Kenpo that many of you find on YouTube is the Kenpo of commercial studios trying to advertise to their audience which is primarily the children and parents of children who while they would greatly benefit from real martial arts they for the most part don't have it in them to train hard or to endure contact, they want instant gratification, constant accolades and pats on the back, God forbid they should have to condition their natural weapons or actually fight one another and come home with bloody noses, black eyes and bruises... it did not take long before the Kenpo instructors who wanted to run schools as a business started catering to the desires of their clients, I mean many of Ed Parkers' students were Hollywood celebrities, could you imagine breaking the nose of an actor while he is in the middle of some expensive production... so yes the best Kenpo is not easy to find and it certainly is not for everyone and just as their is a difference between cardio kickboxing and Muay Thai so to is their a different between a Kenpo instructor whose primary goal is to make money while running a daycare and selling false confidence and a Kenpo instructor who is teaching Special Forces how to tailor Kenpo to their upcoming mission. Both ends of the spectrum exist. I try not to dwell on the piss poor Kenpo schools because their is nothing much I can do about them, when I can do something about them I do but for the most part I can only stay clear of them and continue to propagate a higher quality of instruction.

BJJ_Rage likes this.
  7. Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt

Edison Carasio
    Dude don't go down the rabbit hole like I did. You'll end up finding this whole community of guys like him that either sit around circle jerking each other with dan rankings or fighting with each other. Bunch of phonies arguing with each other. It's really really bizarre.

You should research Ashida Kim vs. Bill Aguiar III law suit over Black Dragon Fighting Society. Really crazy.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 9:35 AM
    mike sherry likes this.
  8. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    I have to admit its soo easy to go that way, its fascinating the level of delusion people can get to....

9. Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt

Edison Carasio

10. Thycidides Blue Belt

Thycidides
    well in my experience doing a scripted sequence with multiple motions is harder for total beginners to do than hit pad with a mid kick, or standing in front of a mirror and throwing a single right cross.

In my gym/s beginner class the only thing taught is basic stance and advancing retreating footwork, jab, cross, mid kick, and a check to a mid kick. I get the impression in kenpo beginners are taught more than that in the first several months at least from what you wrote.

Its not until after the first several months a sequence is shown like Summer Striker mentioned. And to be honest I think that is kind of a lazy way to teach, a lot of people would be better off practicing the single mid kick than a 3 punch combo after blocking a right hand.

regarding sparring you can have newbie adults do it after the first several months and its very unlikely they complain. If they don't like it they don't do any more sparring.

if you have a better way of teaching beginners than hitting pads and shadow boxing id like to see it. Why don't you post some video of good kempo?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 2:10 PM
  11. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    that was brutal lmfao...

12. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage

can you imagine the conversation between these 2? holy fucking fuck.

TheGZA and Edison Carasio like this.
  13. Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt

Edison Carasio
    Fun fact: Ashida Kim is actually named Radford Davis and lives in Florida with his mom, and the only property he owns is half of a Ford Ranger (the other half is owned by his mom).

TheGZA likes this.
  14. SummerStriker Black Belt

SummerStriker
    I would love to take his class. If I get the photo opportunity, I'd post it everywhere.

BJJ_Rage and Edison Carasio like this.
  15. Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt

Edison Carasio
    The circle jerk association they have does like seminars and stuff. You could get pics with Radford AND Frank Dux at the same time

TheGZA likes this.
  16. SummerStriker Black Belt

SummerStriker
    The strongest ninja trick is to expose yourself as a fraud so that people don't realize you really are a ninja.

TheGZA and Edison Carasio like this.
  17. SummerStriker Black Belt

SummerStriker
    I watched to the end to see if he'd let that guy win. Really humble of him to make it a draw.

BJJ_Rage likes this.
  18. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    HEs a gentleman...

19. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    Their black dragon society actually has meetings right? can you imagine what would that be like...

20. Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt

Edison Carasio
    Yeah. I can imagine the level of delusion. I almost considered going to one that was a couple hours away from me out of morbid curiousity but you have to "be a member" which costs like $50 or something. So I stayed home instead.

Their biggest feud is with a guy named Bill Aguiar III who seems to have inherited "The real Black Dragon Fighting Society" from his father, who was Count Dante's successor after he moved to New England after the Dojo Wars. Bill Aguiar is the guy who sued Ashida Kim for trademark infringement, which yielded all the embarassing info about his personal life and finances. Ashida Kim was selling fake black belt certificates for whatever art you requested with the black dragon fighting society logos on them, and Bill owned the rights to it.

I'm sort of embarrassed by how much I know about this. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

TheFakeMacoy and TheGZA like this.