How much experience should a boxing coach have?

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
How much personal boxing experience should a children’s (ages 10-14) boxing coach have?

For teaching introductory?

For teaching sparring?

For preparing for amateur competition?

The only reason I wouldn't say "none at all it's not important" is because you want some sort of basis in reality. But you don't need much competition history to be a good coach. Just a handful of amateur fights would be fine, and even no history if you're just helping out with beginners.

Enzo Calzaghe trained his own son Joe, yet has no amateur experience whatsoever.

For a recreational class not as in depth competition exp. is needed, but its good to have experience in the sport.

I've seen guys at the local gym chain run a "boxing" program and some of the guys there have shit technique, and I'm not even a pure-bred boxer either.

prepping for ammy competition, while its great to have exp in competing in striking, you should still have some boxing competitive exp. Learning how to fight is universal in all combat sports, but the specifics to the fighter is really needed.

You can get away with it in teaching sparring and introductory classes, but for being with them in camp it will show. The last gym I was at, the coach was a bit green on teaching intermediates and advanced fighters (inc. pros) on the game of competition. Great at teaching and prepping novices and new fighters, but it was obvious, and it showed. The higher ranked guys couldn't bust through that plateau.

this is a very complex issue IMO because theres a million answers to your question. Obviously a coach with experience is better/a good thing, and obviously the more experience the better.........but that doesnt always translate into a good coach.

There are great fighters that are horrible coaches and great coaches that never fought.

Another thing to take into consideration would be the effort or amount of time the coach is willing to put into the student/students.

If I could train with Saenchai and all he does is tell me to go kick the bag why he sits around talking im not going to learn much

Where as if I was training with a coach who is fully commited/invested in me but may not be world class talent I would learn much more........given the coach fully knows and understands the sport and all its concepts.........how do you know if the coach fully understands the sport? You need to fully understand the sport yourself to be able to spot someone who does.

It's been said that the best natural fighters make the worst coaches. If someone was a freak natural athlete he's not going to have an understanding of what it takes to work to get somewhere. Imagine prime RJJ trying to teach someone how to keep their guard up; he'd be like "just never get hit you don't even need to have arms."

t

Another thing to take into consideration would be the effort or amount of time the coach is willing to put into the student/students.

I thought it very interesting hearing Roach talking about his motivation. He boxed since age 6, had a fantastic career but just could not overstep the last hurdle to be champ and it motivated him extremely to reach that goal with his fighters. His eye for detail. He talked about it that the best day of his boxing life was his title win with Virgil Hill as coach.

So to have somewhat not fullfilled ones own expectations as a fighter but have that itch to go the extra mile can imo be a deciding factor in being an excellent coach. At least thats how I see it.

If I could train with Saenchai and all he does is tell me to go kick the bag why he sits around talking im not going to learn much

My most celebrity seminar was with a high ranking Shotokan legend. I think Masahiko Tanaka (long time). Expectations were high and in the end he sat around 3/4 of the time smoking cigarettes :)

@fluffball

I dont know how much success RJJ has as a coach but he seems to really enjoy it to give something back as coach and is involved in coaching / events. I think @Sinister was at a RJJ event with his fighters in one of his vids.

I thought it very interesting hearing Roach talking about his motivation. He boxed since age 6, had a fantastic career but just could not overstep the last hurdle to be champ and it motivated him extremely to reach that goal with his fighters. His eye for detail. He talked about it that the best day of his boxing life was his title win with Virgil Hill as coach.

So to have somewhat not fullfilled ones own expectations as a fighter but have that itch to go the extra mile can imo be a deciding factor in being an excellent coach. At least thats how I see it.

My most celebrity seminar was with a high ranking Shotokan legend. I think Masahiko Tanaka (long time). Expectations were high and in the end he sat around 3/4 of the time smoking cigarettes :)

@fluffball

I dont know how much success RJJ has as a coach but he seems to really enjoy it to give something back as coach and is involved in coaching / events. I think @Sinister was at a RJJ event with his fighters in one of his vids.

I was going to bring up Roach as hes a perfect example.

I actually have gotten to spar with Saenchai.

I haved trained at RJJ gym in Vegas. The coach is Gil Martinez, awesome coach with a lot of amateur experience. I learned alot about boxing in one day from him. I did a video tour of his gym on my youtube channel.

Lastly I left a gym, although the coaches skill level is high, but the effort was not.

Last edited:
It's been said that the best natural fighters make the worst coaches. If someone was a freak natural athlete he's not going to have an understanding of what it takes to work to get somewhere. Imagine prime RJJ trying to teach someone how to keep their guard up; he'd be like "just never get hit you don't even need to have arms."
Being a coach at times doesn't really end up meaning they compete well, we've been in the sport for some time now and have come to know that there are fighters out there that have so much raw innate talent, that no matter which camp they came from they'd still be a champ. Could be a shitty McDojo and they'd still make waves. What they need is a coach that can motivate them to keep the acceleration up. Really thats what a coach really is, outside of technical and tactical exp. about 60% of it is giving them a good environment where they can keep coming back and growing. Some guys grow from a hard ball breaking coach, others need a gentle nice guy

Alot of times in this sport, being a yes man goes a long way for these top tier fighters

Back