How much dough u spend to get taxes done

Maybe $150- and that involves businesses that we own in different countries. Our taxes aren't really straight forward but I've known the accountant for years and he gives me a good deal.

My wife pays more for her accountant, no idea how much.

$30 through TurboTax. All I have is a 1040 and a form to write off my student loan interest.

Turbo tax. I paid 40$ this year, it went up 5$ from the previous years, but still cheap. My taxes aren't really complicated.

I recommend Turbotax or any of those online options. It's quick and easy.

I use an accoutant because we only have self-employment income. My personal return runs $150, the business returns 2x that. I have no idea if that's a fair price.

Taxes are easy af, even if you have a business it's not complicated, but can be time consuming if you're not organized.

It's honestly not complicated at all, people are just lazy.

I use turbotax too. Works fine.

Nothing. Other than my trading accounts everything is dead simple. Since my brokerage has the option of dumping all my trade data into a giant spreadsheet, even that part is pretty easy to deal with; dump data, total up the relevant rows & columns, enter numbers into my forms. Done.

I don’t own a business but I spend about 50 nights a year away for work which I write off and we have a shitload of deductions. Wrote off 35k last year. Not sure I want to learn just to have it all change next year

Could fill out the forms for zero but turbotax somehow still seems worth the money.

I use turbo tax. A friend of mine pays something like 10,000 for an accountant to do his taxes, its nuts.
That's probably for like a business tax return or has a ton of self-employment businesses and/or rentals, partnerships, etc. Or maybe the accountant is a con artist.

The thing is shitty accountants should charge a few hundred because they don't know shit, don't have more than 2 days of training and zero supervision and their supervisor also doesn't know shit. You'll likely get incoherent nonsense on your tax returns and end up paying more tax than supposed to. When these shitty guys charge more, that's when you're extra fucked.

I see these large Polynesian women working the tax prep cubicles inside Walmart and no fucking way I'd trust them to know anything.

I itemize and have a farm which requires a better understanding of tax laws than I have. It's dependent on how much I get back, but last year I paid $200. Takes her about a half hour, but would take me hours of pulling my hair out. Usually get $8k-$9k back, so it's well worth it for me.
Someone spending half an hour probably did a sloppy job and didn't check if they made any mistakes or brainstorm any tax savings planning opportunities.

Sooner or later you guys who go with the cheapest will get audited and find out your cheapo accountant put nonsense on your tax returns and you now owe big interest and penalties on back taxes. #livingdangerously

I pay $29.95 through taxact. Unless you have income from rentals, farm, etc. or other complications, most should be able to get it done that cheap. At this point,they've developed the programs so that you are just answering basic questions.

That will not make your taxes much more difficult at all. You should still be able to do it easily on TurboTax or another program.
You still need to know what you need to tell the computer because it won't ask you everything.

Between the wife and I it was 250 (friend prices) We have to file separately in Canada but we have joint investments with properties and capital gains -- I don't want to navigate that.

You still need to know what you need to tell the computer because it won't ask you everything.

Agreed. You do have to have a basic understanding of taxes. IMO, it's not that difficult, but I do have somewhat of a background in accounting.

Back