How much do your boxing gloves REALLY weigh?

DM426

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
You might be surprised.

I recently started using a new set of bag gloves and about the same time noticed I seemed to be getting tired really quickly. At first I chalked that up to the fact I've gotten used to wearing 10 oz bag gloves and my new ones are 16 oz. I didn't expect that to make all that big a difference (call me an optimist), but I was wrong because my hands feel like bricks with these new gloves on.

After giving myself some time to adjust to the added weight, I was still finding I was getting tired a lot faster than I thought should be the case. Which probably says more about me than it does the gloves, but that's another story for another thread! The whole thing got me to thinking about how much difference the added weight makes and whether or not the labels on the gloves can be trusted. So I decided to conduct a few informal test using a very sensitive calibrated scale. The results are interesting.

*Note: All tests were conducted on new (dry) gloves to eliminate moisture as a factor.

RS2V High Performance Pro Sparring Gloves - Sparring Gloves - Rival Boxing Gear Inc.
Rival RS2V Sparring Glove (16 oz)
Right: 13.7 oz
Left: 14.8 oz

RS1 High Performance Pro Sparring Gloves - Sparring Gloves - Rival Boxing Gear Inc.
Rival RS1 Sparring Glove (16 oz)
Right: 14.3 oz
Left: 14.9 oz

RB10-d3o INTELI-SHOCK bag gloves - Bag Gloves - Rival Boxing Gear Inc.
Rival RB10-d30 Gag Glove (10 oz)
Right: 11.0 oz
Left: 10.9 oz

TITLE BLACK Boxing Gloves | Training/Sparring Gloves | Boxing Gloves from Title Boxing
Title Black Training Glove (16 oz)
Right: 13.7 oz
Left: 14.3 oz

TITLE BLACK Bag Gloves | Heavy Bag Gloves | Punching Bags from Title Boxing
Title Black Bag Glove (16 oz)
Right: 19.5 oz
Left: 19.7 oz

Reyes Hook & Loop Boxing Gloves | Reyes Boxing Gloves | Boxing Gloves from Title Boxing
Cleto Reyes Training Gloves (16 oz)
Right: 18 oz
Left: 16 oz

Just as I suspected, the labels on most gloves are pretty far off and shouldn't be taken at face value. The new Title Black bag gloves I recently bought are significantly heavier than the Rival d30 bag gloves I had been using previously. Nevertheless, the "10 oz" Rivals were actually 10.9 oz while the new Title Blacks in 16 oz size came in at a whopping 1.2 pounds each! No wonder these things were making me tired.

I love the Title Black bag gloves, but they are HEAVY.

Last edited:
Very interesting finds. Would like to see the results of other brands!

As an aside, what sparring gloves would you recommend, based on cost/quality? Thinking about getting a couple of pairs to spar with friends.

when my grants die I'll weigh the new pair and add it to the list. I have a feeling it'll come in pretty darn close.

edit: actually I was going to get a new pair of sparring gloves soon. I'll have it up quicker than I thought.

interesting,will now be weighing up 4 pairs of 'identical' gloves to check if the gloves as pairs are different let alone left n rights

My scale is only accurate to half an ounce, but my 16oz TU Thai Silencers are really 17oz (left and right), and my 14 oz Ringside IMFs are both 14 oz.

Hi,

my winning gloves 14oz (Velcro) are...

Right: 13.78 oz
Left: 14.02 oz

My Top Ten Superfight 3000 16 oz are...

Right: 16.67 oz
Left: 15.61 oz

You'd want to exclude Rival's d3o line, they don't sell them according to weight, only hand size.

I'll give my RS2V and RB10 from Rival a weigh tomorrow to see what happens.

good read
I wil determine weight of my safetecs when have a chance

You'd want to exclude Rival's d3o line, they don't sell them according to weight, only hand size.

You know what, you're right. The Rival Boxing site doesn't make any mention of weight, just size. But I bought mine from Title Boxing and they list them as "10 oz" gloves.

Rival d30 Intelli-Shock Bag Gloves | Rival Boxing Gloves | Boxing Gloves from Title Boxing

Mine are XL size and came in at about 11 oz.

While we're on the subject of bag gloves, the Rivals are really great gear. They're very well made and feel "fast" due to their very light weight. But some people like to train with heavier gloves for reasons of their own, and it can be a shock to strap on a pair of 16-18 gloves and have your hands feel like bricks.

I really just got the Title Black bag gloves because I just wanted to test them out. But since I got them I been using them instead of the Rivals. They are heavy, to be sure, but when you hit with the 16 oz size (which are actually 19.5) you feel like you're hitting with a mailed fist. I love the way these things feel when I hit a 150 lb. heavy bag. Bam!

You can't go wrong with either of these gloves.

did you guys take into account the sweat and oils you're pouring into them or is this right out of the box?

weighed some gloves dry

Lemarr MK2 12oz
Left: 13.5
Right: 14.0

Fairtex BGV1 12oz
Left: 12.3
Right: 11.8

Hayabusa 16oz
Left: 15.5
Right: 15.3

Punchtown lX 16oz
Left: 14.5
Right: 14.9

Lonsdale Ultimate 18oz
Left: 18.5
Right: 18.7

KO FightGear 20oz
Left: 20.7
Right: 20.6

Fairtex were the only ones new and practically unused and closest to the advertised weight. I can understand how one might possibly get heavier with use due to soaking up sweat and picking up dirt over time..maybe, but not sure why a glove would get lighter.

Last edited:
I weighed my 12 oz Boons when I got them.I forgot the exact weight but one was a little under 12 and the other was a little over.
I guess it is normal judging by this thread,

if both gloves were exactly the same weight the price would be very high. It is just like weightlifting plates, calibrated plates are 3-5 times the price of non-calibrated plates.

Hi Guys, just want to throw my 2 cents into this. When I first started doing this business I was under the impression like most that the gloves weight was what they said on the cuff. However then I started to notice differences in the sizing of the gloves which were the same oz from the same brand. This led me to speak to the manufacturer to why this could be. I was told that because the gloves are hand made then you will get these slight differences in training gloves. The only true oz gloves are competition gloves, as they have to conform to the regulations of professional fights. Thanks, John

So brocks xxxxl 4 oz gloves are probably 8oz and mighty mouses are 2oz

Not to necro, but...

Picked up some older (pre-imf) Ringside super bag gloves in Medium size.
They are pretty awesome gloves, I like them a lot.
Threw them on the scale and was shocked to see that they were 8oz each.

Back