How much cardio

Locke91

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Searched some threads but couldn't find a real answer.

I'm a kickboxer and would like to fight at 70kg or a little below. Currently 80kg without cardio or change in eating habits. Currently eating 4000 calories give or take to maintain some gym gains. My plan was to drop to 75kg and maintain that untill I have a match.

I'm a bit confused about cardio though. All the greats did a giant amount of cardio and I hear people say all the time how they used to do 10k in the morning.

I have a bit of a education about energy systems, and can't really see the benefist of much more then 5k.
Especially, given that a kickboxing match is 3x3 rounds. Joe Valtilini didn't even run at all!

My gym is 3km away, so I would like to run to and back from my gym if it's worth it. However, I just can't see the benefit, other then weight control.

Do you guys run? If so, what distance? How come the pro's do all that running?
Also, bonus question, how much water weight can someone lose on average? I know this depends on the person, but is 3kilo to much of a stretch?

Sorry for my english, ain't my first language.

They probably started with 10k+ because it helps with their aerobic base... Its like saying why did Conor Mcgregor start with deadlifting 450 lbs when at the end of camp he could only deadlift 315?

Its kind of a bad example but I think you should understand what im getting at. Running over the round time or whatever will directly translate to your cardio.

3 kilos should be nothing if you are walking around at 3 kilos over. If you are dieting to get to that weight and then want to cut 3 kilos of water for your first time you are going to have a problem.

And dont get me wrong, cardio is important. But train your technique and your energy management first. But if you arent burnt out then just run the damn 3k back and forth, dont be lazy...

Last edited:
It's not so much that I don't want to do it. I just really really dislike running.

I understand that doing 10 rounds of 3 min will translate to my fighting cardio, wich is more explosive sprint type stuff.
Always believed that everything over 5k is just unnecassery.
I wanted to drop down to 75kg because 5kilo is fairly easy by just doing some diet stuff. I don't want to double my training hours just to lose weight.

Do you think water cutting is a thing a amateur fighter should/can do? Drinking 8liters of water will have me pissing all day at work.

The aerobic system plays a role in how efficiently your anaerobic system performs.

Roadwork is one of the best ways to develop the aerobic system.

So regardless if your match is 3x3 or 5x5 it's important.

I always used circuits, bag, pad and sparring for conditioning and I always had higher output.

I'm looking to start some cycling or low intensity sled work to work my cardio now I'm only training heavy and football but fuuuurq running.

Searched some threads but couldn't find a real answer.

I'm a kickboxer and would like to fight at 70kg or a little below. Currently 80kg without cardio or change in eating habits. Currently eating 4000 calories give or take to maintain some gym gains. My plan was to drop to 75kg and maintain that untill I have a match.

I'm a bit confused about cardio though. All the greats did a giant amount of cardio and I hear people say all the time how they used to do 10k in the morning.

I have a bit of a education about energy systems, and can't really see the benefist of much more then 5k.
Especially, given that a kickboxing match is 3x3 rounds. Joe Valtilini didn't even run at all!

My gym is 3km away, so I would like to run to and back from my gym if it's worth it. However, I just can't see the benefit, other then weight control.

Do you guys run? If so, what distance? How come the pro's do all that running?
Also, bonus question, how much water weight can someone lose on average? I know this depends on the person, but is 3kilo to much of a stretch?

Sorry for my english, ain't my first language.
The best advice I can give you is to incorporate sprints. Don't just go for a routine run; push yourself for short intervals even if it's just 10-15 seconds. You will see the difference. Also, if you don't like running, find a place that makes it enjoyable. I live near a nature preserve and I actually enjoy the workout.

LISS/LSD work is important to build up your aerobic base. Please check out the Conditioning FAQ.

My understanding of it

- For aerobic system development, a large part is development of the oxygen uptake and transport system (lungs, heart etc)
- For development of this, lower intensity work is preferable (65-75%, or 70-75%) because in order to get optimal adaptations to the heart, the heart needs time to fully fill with blood; at higher intestines it doesn't fill
- Total time doing the low intensity work probably matters (40-60 minutes is often recommended) and total volume matters (if you don't have much of a base I think working up gradually to a few months of putting in 30-35k per week is reasonable); it will be hard to hit these only doing 5ks

Just pieced together from bits and bobs- Joel Jamieson, a few running websites and articles. For accurate information, ask others!

I always believe in the importance of doing LISS for building up the aerobic base, but yet when I look at Nick Curson's fighters and Ross Enamait who aren't a believer in LISS, they all have good conditioning. Especially Ross since he's a cardio machine.

I always believe in the importance of doing LISS for building up the aerobic base, but yet when I look at Nick Curson's fighters and Ross Enamait who aren't a believer in LISS, they all have good conditioning. Especially Ross since he's a cardio machine.
Ross' work is based on the assumption that the fighter already has a cardio base from previous LISS work.

You dont need to run if you dont want to.

Look up Joel Jamieson's Roadwork 2.0.

Basically get yourself a HR monitor (you can get a pretty decent one for around USD 150) and do any activity that keeps your HR in the 120 - 140 bpm range for 45 - 60 mins at a stretch.

I usually ride the bike for 20 mins, Treadmill for 20 mins and shadow box for 20 mins. Alleviates the boredom of monotony.

Back