How many rounds should you hit the bag weekly?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
I love the feedback of a heavybag, but starting to wonder if I should allocate my training to other areas. I currently do about 30 rounds on the bag weekly, and I shadow box for three rounds daily and try to jump rope a few rounds a couple times a week. Perhaps a double end bag would allow me to get more rounds without beating my hands up so much.

How often does the typical amateur hit the bag? Professionals?

Last edited:
I hit the heavy bag 10 rounds per day & the double end bag/speedbag for 2 rounds each and shadowbox 4 rounds.

How often does the typical amateur hit the bag? Professionals?
Amateurs usually 3 rounds of 3 minutes, iirc. Professionals? No idea, everyone does his own thing in the professionals, some don't even use bags at all.

But to be honest, I have no data on this. There is such data for judo, but not for boxing. I only know elite amateurs train 5 days/week, 2 hours/day in general since those numbers are quoted in many studies on Olympic boxing training. But I have no idea how much of that is bagwork, if running is included, etc.

Also, keep in mind hitting a heavy bag is completely different from hitting a moving human who defends himself. So don't do too much of one if the other is your goal.

I've just bought my first punch bag and have been doing like 8 rounds a day every day

My shoulders are pretty wrecked though so I have taken this weekend off but I'm back on it tomorrow

Will be am every day thing once my shoulders are up to it

Amateurs usually 3 rounds of 3 minutes, iirc.
In competition, amateur boxing is generally three rounds of two minutes each (and a one minute rest between rounds)

As for the OP, there are no set number of rounds for bag work. It's a matter of what your training entails and what your hoping to achieve with your bag work. Are you going balls-out in hopes of improving your endurance? Are you swinging the bag back and forth to work on your linear distancing? There are so many variables that come into play when it comes to working a heavy bag.

Heavy is for power (largely)
Body snatcher is for power (largely)
Double end is for timing and accuracy
Speed bag is for timing and accuracy

They all work for your greater good.
Split your time based on what you need.

No sense in focusing so much on power if you can't land a shot.
What are you good at, what do you need improvement on? Focus your work with that in mind.

In competition, amateur boxing is generally three rounds of two minutes each (and a one minute rest between rounds)

As for the OP, there are no set number of rounds for bag work. It's a matter of what your training entails and what your hoping to achieve with your bag work. Are you going balls-out in hopes of improving your endurance? Are you swinging the bag back and forth to work on your linear distancing? There are so many variables that come into play when it comes to working a heavy bag.

Mainly fight pace, but I do a all out round a few times a week. Focusing on getting full extension throwing strikes and pivoting/stepping out. Slipping and throwing strikes.

Does anyone have an alternative to the bag? I dont have space to hang a bag in our apartment and the noise might disturb the neighbors.

Dont wanna have to go to the gym everytime I just wanna use a bag...

Does anyone have an alternative to the bag? I dont have space to hang a bag in our apartment and the noise might disturb the neighbors.

Dont wanna have to go to the gym everytime I just wanna use a bag...

- Those thower punchbags,wave-masters. Or a wall bag!
Theres some inflatable ones too!

No 10 or 20 rounds each session.

How many times do you hit the heavybag weekly? I guess it also depends on intensity, but I definitely would be really gassed by round 6-8 going at fight pace.

Last edited:
Back