how many people work w/ or train fighters (has it changed your pov)

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
simple question-

for guys who have gotten into training, coaching etc; has your perspective on combat sports, martial arts, fighting and coaching/training changed.

how much of your own perspective/opinions/approach to your own training/development/etc how much of it has bled over into how you coach, train, advise fighters.

The fight game is a constant evolution, every new coach or training partner brings something. To me teaching the game has really helped. You have to explain, rethink your technique. Some will ask questions about the tiniest details. To me that's where it all comes together from all dimensions.

I coached and cornered a guy for his first fight a couple of months back, it was a really eye opening and wonderful exp. I've never thought of doing something like that when I first started out, but I will admit, it is a very rewarding exp. to go through having your fighter develop, grow, and improve throughout the course of the camp.

The fight game is a constant evolution, every new coach or training partner brings something. To me teaching the game has really helped. You have to explain, rethink your technique. Some will ask questions about the tiniest details. To me that's where it all comes together from all dimensions.
This is very true. at our gym, all of us have been coached under the head coach, but we all have our different "styles" that root out from it due to our own individual selves.

Last edited:
I'm a semi professional trainer. I make money, but not enough to quit my day job.
I want to hold mitts for tech bros and yoga moms but have somehow managed to build a roster of mma fighters instead along side of the small handful of fitness types. I also work with the competition team at My gym running drills, cornering during sparring, and working mitts. I warm guys up, keep track of time, and carry the spit bucket during fights. I still work closely with my head coaches to learn as much as I can about both sides of the game- fighting AND coaching.

I've learned that hard work and commitment to the craft; honest, quiet hard work will carry you to the limits of your potential provided you have the right people helping mold and guide you. Athleticism, balls, gameness cannot be taught, but without dedication, heart and craft they won't get you very far.

The beauty of training and coaching people is that every athlete is like a completely new puzzle to solve. Adjusting your training to help them perform optimally, whether that is competitively or recreationally, makes that you're basically forced to look at a situation from different angles. What might work for you as a fighter might not work for your trainee because of different qualities.

I have coached kickboxing on all levels in the Netherlands, from youth to pros, and I always derived a lot of pleasure from crafting game plans. Working for extended periods with an athlete and really becoming a team is a rewarding experience for all involved.

My style of training was always striking with defensive wrestling and defensive jits, and my style shows thru my fighters I think. Striking was why I got into MMA and I kno its kinda lame but its the huge fad these past few years (especially round here). I attract alot of fighters and I like to ttrain the ones who didnt have my give up lazy attitude towards training.

I have beem bashed tho cause of my training style. Sometimes my guys are much better grapplers than their opponents and the strategy is still to strike. And recently got alot of flak for my guy gettting KO'd on TUF

I'm just starting to get into training fighters, so far the main thing it's done is force my focus to narrow. It's one thing to be all over the board on what you work on and play with for your own training, but when you're prepping guys to go fight you quickly realize that there's just no time for extraneous bullshit. What is the essential technical repertoire, and how do you most efficiently get guys to learn and implement it?

I'm just starting to get into training fighters, so far the main thing it's done is force my focus to narrow. It's one thing to be all over the board on what you work on and play with for your own training, but when you're prepping guys to go fight you quickly realize that there's just no time for extraneous bullshit. What is the essential technical repertoire, and how do you most efficiently get guys to learn and implement it?
Focus on the absolute core basics, accept that novice fights are very instinct fueled rather than technical, so with that said, you drill the most basic gameplan, one that they can do on muscle memory.

We basically have it drilled all camp day in day out so it drills in subconsciously.

For striking its:
  • basic combinations (1,2,3,kick or 1,kick, 3,2)
  • retaliating ASAP - ideally with the same combo
  • double collar clinching - single collar is good, but at that point its still new. Once they get to elbows in intermediate single collar work is necessary
  • pressing forward (ring / cage control)
  • Focus on how to breathe - in fight, and during the break. Latter being more important imo

We also accept alot of fights at that stage end up in decision rather than KO, so ringmanship is very important as its tied with aggression (2 of 3 criterias). Thats to say we don't aim for the finish, but RC is a prime focus due to that.

*Basically you teach them how to "fight", then eventually technical prowess will stack on.

Yes its nice to do 1,2 slip, check hook, slip, long knee but thats way too much for new guys to do and they'll shut out midway and resort back to bad habits like spamming overhands. New guys are also EXTREMELY terrible at distance management. I think its a bad idea to focus alot on distance work for novice fighters (once intermediate [4-9 fights] they'll get much better), shit hits the fan and it ends up being a nasty brawl. About 80% of the time from what I've been through and seen, its, both guys press forward not wanting to back down, straights become hooks, and end up in a grinding clinch til the ref breaks. Repeat for the rest of the round. That cycle happens in about 10-20 seconds.

In BJJ I guess its an escape, sweep, and sub from mount, side, closed guard, and back. You know alot better about grappling than I do so you have alot more insight on that than I do.

When I first trained my guy all we focused on was what I've mentioned above. The "fanciest" things we added was dealing off a caught kick and clinch dumps, as his opponent was short and stocky whereas he was alot taller, so it was a likeable scenario, which did happen occasionally in his fight. Of course its a fight so we all expect alot of cognitive thinking to fly out the window, but the good thing is keeping the technique as simple as possible so in that event they have something to rely on.

Its extremely rare to come across individuals who remain stoic and calm in their fights who can think. Basing a GOAT complex gameplan and assuming alot can do that, isn't realistic. I've only met 1 guy in my life who was like that, everyone else was like I've said, myself included.

Last edited:
Back