How many people here train MMA as a hobby

So did you manage it?
yup. 5 years ago actually. Had yet another opponent drop out but someone jumped in that day and it was a terrible match up for me but what the hell, right? Ended up losing a decision to a guy who was a great wrestler.

Went on to have a couple boxing matches instead which went far better for me

Pretty sure he’s a coach now. 7 years ago lol
assistant coach. I’m still growing my education before taking on that mantle on my own.

Edit: full time trainer and mitt holder. Officially pays all my bills now

I tried training it as a hobby but it was too physically taxing to be sustainable and interfered too much with my day job. :(

I started out as a hobbyist looking for an interesting way of working out + stress relief, but down the line I ended up being a competitor. Its still a hobby of me, its just now it holds more weight in my life.

I personally think unless its your primary source of income, its still a hobby even if you're pro.

Have been doing MMA for about 3 years now as a hobby, training 2-3 days a week. As far as hobbies go, its a very rewarding one. Aside from the injuries you take here and there, it's really beneficial to your health. I also found that it inspired me to change my diet and really focus on becoming healthy and strong.

I've entered a few grapple comps and enjoyed them, and I try to get to a pure BJJ or Judo class whenever I can as well. I've never felt compelled to get in the actual cage though - despite having done MMA for a few years I'm still a terrible fighter ;).

I also found that it makes watching MMA a lot more interesting overall. It's worth going and trying it out for sure.

Do you actually spar mma rules?

I never consider going pro unless there is a well established ammy system for me to really gain experience in. No way, am I going out there shirtless for all those people to see, and risk getting embarrassed in a fight.

I like the grappling and TMA formats for their recreational tourneys. They have several matches going on at the same time, and not much fanfare. From what I have seen of ammy boxing or KB, its basically a pro fight but no money. All your friends and family are there.

I don't train MMA, however I do box to improve my chess game. <Y2JSmirk>

I never consider going pro unless there is a well established ammy system for me to really gain experience in. No way, am I going out there shirtless for all those people to see, and risk getting embarrassed in a fight.

I like the grappling and TMA formats for their recreational tourneys. They have several matches going on at the same time, and not much fanfare. From what I have seen of ammy boxing or KB, its basically a pro fight but no money. All your friends and family are there.
The old days was nuts, dudes going pro after 6 months of training. Really all you had to do was get the license and guarantee you can sell tickets for a promoter.

The ruleset for mma is so vague. Some places have the unified rules on ammy, other orgs require gear, and others have some wierd arrangement. Oddest one I saw was full gear, but boxing gloves. Another was gear but no strikes on the ground, just grappling

But in other places there's no ammy, its all pro

The old days was nuts, dudes going pro after 6 months of training. Really all you had to do was get the license and guarantee you can sell tickets for a promoter.

The ruleset for mma is so vague. Some places have the unified rules on ammy, other orgs require gear, and others have some wierd arrangement. Oddest one I saw was full gear, but boxing gloves. Another was gear but no strikes on the ground, just grappling

But in other places there's no ammy, its all pro
I love hawaii. It’s 3 minute rounds no grounded elbows and no upkicks.

As close to a pro fight as you can get I guess

Oregon we’ll let you knee the head, no pads but no elbows in any position

Im a reluctant hobbyist. Due to schedule and money restraints I can only make 1 - 2 trips to the gym a week. When i was 4 - 5 a week I competed in a smoker and would help however i could with team mates fight camps.

Until things change, its a lot of reflex bag work, calisthenics , headband ball rounds and shadowboxing between classes.

Also I train at a gym that has a thai lineage but it is mainly a MMA gym. A lot of our fighters end up looking like kickboxers than anything else because we have some boxers here who train with us as well.

Last edited:
I do boxing as a hobby and I have done some kickboxing, MT and Luta Livte as a hobby. I like fight sports.

Right now we have an organized group with friends only. We are all in our 30s 6-7 dudes who go boxing together twice a week. We are not always all but it is a pretty fun way to hang out. Instead of hitting the bar or going out for coffee we hit the boxing gym at 7 30 am Monday and Thursday. It is great. We started out as 3 people but now we are twice as many.

been boxing as a hobby but im still looking to compete in a few amateurs down the road. If you're like me and always interested in boxing or another martial art/MMA but never did it when you were younger, you just gotta do it now while you can. I didn't want to look back in 30 years when im 50, saying 'i wish i boxed'

Back