How many of you work in a trade and are you worried about the future of it?

Again I think were actually moving into an era were a lot more white collar jobs are going to be under threat as computing power/connectivity is obviously evolving so much faster than robotics.
Are you sure? It can't even fix your grammar yet.

Im a plumber/Gasfitter by trade but I also moonlight as pipefitter, polywelder, drainer or basicaly anything else that relates to my trade. Over the last few theres been a media assanation of trade unions and an influx of low paid, unders skilled (not all) migrant labourer dragging down wages. Sadley I dont see it getting better

How long will this be the case though? I work with meteorologists (physics degrees) and I can easily see the supercomputer weather models putting these guys out of work in a decade or so.

Is there any indication robotics are progressing at the pace where a robot electrician or plumber is going to come put a bunch of tradespeople out of work in the same timeframe?

The guy who programs and designs the robot is in the catbird seat, for sure. But someone still has to fix the damn things for now...

Electrical work aint going anywhere but will be less residential maintenance type work.

As to the meteorologist they might advance the field by doing less repetitive tasks but if not the many of their skill sets will have other applications.

Imo of course. I

Back