How many of you believe Hendricks caused GSP's retirement?

GSP said he had that speech planned ahead of time. I'll take him at his word.

GSP may have had a speech, but he himself was unsure.

Johny Hendricks reaffirmed what GSP couldn't himself.

Nope. Every single reputable MMA media outlet gave Hendricks the first round.

Sherdog: "Round 1 to Hendricks"
5thRound: "Round 1 to Hendricks"
MMAJunkie: "Round 1 to Hendricks"
BleacherReport: "Round 1 to Hendricks"
MMAFrenzy: "Round 1 to Hendricks"
MMAFighting: "Round 1 to Hendricks"
BloodyElbow: "Round 1 to Hendricks"

Nah, that seems more like Jones/Gus.

So Hendricks won 3-2 which means it was a close fight.. Edgar lost 2 razor close fight to Bendo. It happens.. Moving on..

Bendo didn't retire after a plethora of excuses

I think you got Bendo and Edgar mixed up...there. Either way the fight was as close as fights such as Edgar vs. Bendo and many others like it. I thought Hendricks did enough but sometimes enough just isn't enough when it comes to MMA.

I meant that the significant strikes landed did more damage than GSPs. Those elbows landed, and he got bruised. Damage is not only measured in terms of visible damage, but in terms of an informed measure of the strength of the punch landed considering its toll on a fighter. Hendricks controlled the action for the majority of the round, and was the aggressor for the most part. Those things count.

No matter how you slice the cake, Hendricks' shots were just as plentiful, and more substantial in their effect. At best, that round could be argued for a 10-10, which I would have been okay with.

But my point is that there are no reasonable grounds to give GSP the round over Hendricks. I just don't see it, and your post does nothing to give an argument to the contrary. You incorrectly assume that I am led away by what happened in later rounds. I scored it 10-9 for Hendricks the first time I saw it, and also the second and third times. Only a 10-10 is reasonable to score in my opinion as an alternative, though I still think Hendricks had an advantage and so takes the 10-9 away.

I think you conflate 'very close fight' with 'a decision that could have been judged either way without it being a bad call'.

The former is true, the latter is not. I think rounds 2-4 were reasonably clear, even if close. Round 1 was the closest round, but again, it wasn't close in the sense that one could reasonably think GSP had the advantage. That it could have been a 10-10, or gone to Hendricks, means that the fight could have been either a draw or gone to Hendricks. Close fight? Yes.

But giving that round to GSP, I think, doesn't fly. Make a case for it. And GSP is my favorite fighter of all time.

How so? Because of some superficial damage to the corner of GSPs eye? Let me put this in a way that's more clear for you: you hit harder than me, and it's not really debatable. We both punch each other in the face. Neither one of us is stunned, dazed or knocked down by the punches. Who wins that exchange? You? Why? Because you clearly hit harder? Both are counted as significant punches, but neither did anything to the other, despite the fact that you hit harder. The correct answer here is that that is a draw.

Now, look at it this way: the judges are seeing things we are not seeing on TV, or conversely because of where they are sitting in relation to the action in the octagon, they are missing things we are seeing on TV. They don't have the commentary to distract them (and no one can tell me Rogan is unbiased, not saying against GSP, but just in general), and they have to make split second decisions based upon what they are able to observe. They don't have the luxury of being able to see replays either, so they make a judgement call on whom they thought won the round.

The grappling was dead even. GSP had Hendricks down for 9~10 seconds, and gave up position to go for a guillotine. Hendricks had GSP down for 13~14 seconds, and did literally nothing with it. Yet Hendricks fans are claiming it was a clear win for Hendricks in the grappling as he controlled GSP for longer. Keep in mind we are talking seconds here. It's not like Johny had GSP down for 1:15 compared to 10 seconds for GSP.

As for your assertion that Hendricks controlled the action for the majority of the round, and was the aggressor for the most part, I think you need to watch it again. GSP was just as aggressive, and there was no clear 'controller' of the round.

Taking that into account, can you see why 2/3 judges would give the round to GSP?

Anyway, as I said before, I'm probably not going to convince you, or anyone else otherwise. It is what it is. GSP got the nod and Hendricks fans need to stop crying about it, and move on. I'm sure Hendricks has, because if he hasn't he's going to get blasted by Robbie Lawler.

just saying Hendricks even played a small part is enough to make a lot of GSP fans shit their diapers.

Bendo didn't retire after a plethora of excuses

Ben Henderson had his first proffesional fight in 2006, why would he retire.

Georges on the other hand has been fighting for over a decade, he's bound to want to retire or at least some kind of hiatus.

You act as if GSP had taken the biggest ass whooping of all time when it was a fairly close fight with Georges edging the first round.

How so? Because of some superficial damage to the corner of GSPs eye? Let me put this in a way that's more clear for you: you hit harder than me, and it's not really debatable. We both punch each other in the face. Neither one of us is stunned, dazed or knocked down by the punches. Who wins that exchange? You? Why? Because you clearly hit harder? Both are counted as significant punches, but neither did anything to the other, despite the fact that you hit harder. The correct answer here is that that is a draw.

Now, look at it this way: the judges are seeing things we are not seeing on TV, or conversely because of where they are sitting in relation to the action in the octagon, they are missing things we are seeing on TV. They don't have the commentary to distract them (and no one can tell me Rogan is unbiased, not saying against GSP, but just in general), and they have to make split second decisions based upon what they are able to observe. They don't have the luxury of being able to see replays either, so they make a judgement call on whom they thought won the round.

The grappling was dead even. GSP had Hendricks down for 9~10 seconds, and gave up position to go for a guillotine. Hendricks had GSP down for 13~14 seconds, and did literally nothing with it. Yet Hendricks fans are claiming it was a clear win for Hendricks in the grappling as he controlled GSP for longer. Keep in mind we are talking seconds here. It's not like Johny had GSP down for 1:15 compared to 10 seconds for GSP.

As for your assertion that Hendricks controlled the action for the majority of the round, and was the aggressor for the most part, I think you need to watch it again. GSP was just as aggressive, and there was no clear 'controller' of the round.

Taking that into account, can you see why 2/3 judges would give the round to GSP?

Anyway, as I said before, I'm probably not going to convince you, or anyone else otherwise. It is what it is. GSP got the nod and Hendricks fans need to stop crying about it, and move on. I'm sure Hendricks has, because if he hasn't he's going to get blasted by Robbie Lawler.

Fights are never judged by "hardness" of the hits. It's by who's landing more often, more efficiently and who's pushing the pace.

You could punch much harder than me but if I'm controlling where the fight goes then I'm winning the fight.

Besides, punching power is very subjective. You see guys like Cain hitting Rothwell 300 times and not hurting him and then you see him dropping JDS and Big Foot.

Edit. Nevermind I misread your post,

Back