How many fence grabs for Herzog to take point away?

Stan

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Dantas must've grabbed the fence at least 30 times during the fight without Herzog ever taking a point away. Why have rules when the ref Herzog won't enforce them?

Yea its bullshit to let a fighter get away with doing it that many times.

If you have to slap their hand away, it means you've probably warned them enough and they shouldn't be grabbing the fence anymore. It was extremely frustrating to watch, he should have taken points.

If you are not going to call it, then don't make it illegal.

Same with eye pokes.

I would find it funny if referees in other sports simply decide to no longer call fouls:

- NBA "Labron can take five steps"

- MLB "Home team gets a wider strike zone"

- NFL "Roughing the passer will not be called if the quarterback's name rhymes with "Lom Trady"

- NHL "I have no idea what icing means, so I won't call it."

was anyone else disapointed in the referee for that fight... dantas held the cage like 50 times in that fight... the ref hit his hand away but thats after he stoped several takedowns doing it... he should have taken a point.

I find it odd that a ref can swat at a fighters hand while its on the cage to begin with. Isn't the whole point of the rule to protect the fighter from injuring his fingers?

Either warn them or take a point, or don't. You do have some authority there.

Dantas must've grabbed the fence at least 30 times during the fight without Herzog ever taking a point away. Why have rules when the ref Herzog won't enforce them?
I was thinking precisely the exact same thing during that fight. Hell, dude even grabbed the fence with his toes. It was ridiculous.

Yeah, he seemed to be really skilled a it. You only need to grab the fence for a split second to counter your opponent's moves, his timing was exquisite. Not too long to really draw the attention/ire of the ref and just long enough to be effective.

Pathetic.

Although, honestly, I wouldn't mind it if they legalized fence grabs...

I don't think Herzog really has the balls to do anything most of the time

He seems kinda like a weeny, I'm not really a big fan of his tbh

That was beyond ridiculous. Caldwell would've won that fight on the scorecards more definitively if Herzog would've taken points

I was thinking precisely the exact same thing during that fight. Hell, dude even grabbed the fence with his toes. It was ridiculous.

I don't think I have ever watched another fight with as many blatant fence grabs as this fight. Even during the early days of UFC 1 you didn't see as many fence grabs and it was legal back then. I have watched more than a few with maybe a little over 10 fence grabs but this fight I basically stopped counting at around 30.
The refs really need to get their shit together and be more forceful in enforcing the rules. It takes a lot of energy and power to take someone down and for any fighter to grab the fence to prevent themselves from being taken down that fighter should have a point deducted on the second grab of the fence. Herzog did nothing to enforce the rules as he was worthless even having him in the cage. If he wasn't going to take a point away he should've at least called for time at some point during the fight and warned Dantas that next grab of the fence a point will be deducted. Idiot Herzog was just completely useless.

Dantas set a record tonight for most fence grabs.

Totally agree I have never watched a fight with half as many fence grabs as this fight. The idiot ref Herzog had no business being a ref if he's not going to at least call for time take Dantas to the side and give him a stern warning that anymore fence grabs will result in points deducted and possible disqualification. If idiot ref Herzog had done that Dantas wouldn't even think about grabbing the fence.

I don't think I have ever watched another fight with as many blatant fence grabs as this fight. Even during the early days of UFC 1 you didn't see as many fence grabs and it was legal back then. I have watched more than a few with maybe a little over 10 fence grabs but this fight I basically stopped counting at around 30.
The refs really need to get their shit together and be more forceful in enforcing the rules. It takes a lot of energy and power to take someone down and for any fighter to grab the fence to prevent themselves from being taken down that fighter should have a point deducted on the second grab of the fence. Herzog did nothing to enforce the rules as he was worthless even having him in the cage. If he wasn't going to take a point away he should've at least called for time at some point during the fight and warned Dantas that next grab of the fence a point will be deducted. Idiot Herzog was just completely useless.
Couldn't agree more.

Back