How many competitions before your first win?

Holy fuck is that inspirational can you save me going to fight finder and name him please.

It's almost certainly Rick Story. Who is probably one of the most dangerous unranked fighters in the world.

I thought green belt was for kids in BJJ ? Or do you mean judo ?

LOL I think kids have a whole slew of colors like yellow, orange, green.

Some gyms have added green for adults as the first non white belt because being a white belt for like 1.5 to 2+ years (for some people) could be demotivating.

An in-house tournament, lost on points (a lot of people from other academies, felt completely like a real one), and a nogi, also lost by points, then I won this horrible match at a gi tournament in my city by one advantage or something, only to be choked the round after.. but I was so happy regardless, I've always been super anxious about competing to the point that I thought that I wouldn't even ever won a single match.. then I've medaled at the last tournament I did 5 years ago, before a storm of physical problems hit me hard (hope I'll come back to competing in 2018)..

man I'm sure that if I've managed to make it with my monstrous anxiety, you can do it too..

LOL I think kids have a whole slew of colors like yellow, orange, green.

Some gyms have added green for adults as the first non white belt because being a white belt for like 1.5 to 2+ years (for some people) could be demotivating.

That's hilarious. Most people at my gym are white belts for 2+ years, because to earn a blue belt from my coach you more or less have to win a tournament and show up consistently for those 2 years. If you don't compete it takes even longer.

Last edited:
I won my first couple tournament matches by basically waiting to see what the other guy did and reacting to it. The reaction was usually just falling on top of them or holding closed guard for dear life until they did something dumber than me. If you compete a lot as a novice, you'll have ups and downs based on the level of competition that show up.

I won my first couple tournament matches by basically waiting to see what the other guy did and reacting to it. The reaction was usually just falling on top of them or holding closed guard for dear life until they did something dumber than me. If you compete a lot as a novice, you'll have ups and downs based on the level of competition that show up.

Taking what someone gives you is viable at all kinds of levels. Brandon Mullins for example loves to grip fight and then based on the the opponents does he reacts. A little advanced version of what you are saying :).

I won my first match against an MMA fighter with years of experience after 2-3 months of training

It was pure luck and a double elimination bracket so I got utterly wrecked once I faced the same guy again in the finals >.>

Won my first match ever by points in a nogi tourney. Lost the second one quickly by submission.

Last edited:
With 3 bjj trainings per week you are not going to win bjj competitions, that sounds harsh but it's the truth.

Perhaps for you, but everybody is different.

I've gone 14-5 in the three regional tournaments I've done, always placing in top three. Half the brackets had 10 of us, and the other had 4-5 of us. I train BJJ 2-3 days a week and lift 3x a week. I'm 40, and my joints can not handle BJJ more than 3x a week.

Last edited:
I got gold in my first minor bjj tournament. It was only small and full of white belts with the same amount of experience at the time; however I already earned my black belt in judo quite a while beforehand.

Despite my judo and wrestling experience, I was very nervous as it was the first time competing under that specific rule set. I got a ko uchi gari; passed the half guard and got a kimura.
You were a former wrestler and judo black belt...and entered the white belt div??? Bro....

You were a former wrestler and judo black belt...and entered the white belt div??? Bro....
I never wrestled at a really good level, but I do wrestle well imo. I have wrestled with some former euro/rus national champions. There is that.. but, believe it or not; bjj took me a while to understand all of these different attacks and engagement. I have been in some.. easy matches, but they have mostly all come closer to where I am now.

Back