How Long Until Bellator Closes Up Shop?

Bubba32

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The average of their last 15 events equals 504k viewers (per tapology).

Place your bets now.

I say they dont make it to 2019.

Place your bets now.

I don't think that you really believe that, you're just talking. As a gambling man I would 100% take that action that Bellator does hold an event in 2019 if there was a reliable way to hold the money in escrow.

Same time the UFC does. Don’t forget UFC sold for $4billion, and hasn’t given its new investors even close to the revenue they expected.

Normally, I wouldn't come up with a year due to the unpredictable nature of MMA. There's too many factors that would lead to Viacom wanting to sell Bellator.

- Worst case scenario- If the Grand Prix final/future PPV doesn't show any significant ratings or buy increase, the college prospects fail to attract attention, and the UFC's anti-trust lawsuit goes in their favor within a year, I would say 2020 would be it.

Bellator seems to be a bit of a money pit right now, but things could change. The UFC ate shit for years until they started making a profit.

Last edited:
Viacom owning them helps keep the lights on longer than it would if someone else owned them. They would probably have gone the way of SF by now.

Cant keep upping costs, paying fighters more and not seeing the returns on those investments.

In 3 years I wouldnt be shocked if they managed to stick around and get by and I also wouldnt be shocked to see Viacom sold them or shut them down.

I will bet my first born that Bellator will still be around come 2019.

Safest bet in MMA history

Bellator doesn’t close shop in 2018 or 2019. Bellator provides Viacom with content that could be distributed actoss many of their platforms for starters.

Bellator is definitely inna tough spot. I’d say that the over saturation of the market is definitely hurting them. Might be the ufc trying to drown everyone out. Will be interesting to see how much Viacom Invests In Bellator.

Weren't they getting like less than 100K viewers during the MTV2 days? They survived that and now they're backed by Viacom. I think they'll stick around. At least i sure hope they do. There has to be a mainstream alternative league to the UFC.

But I gotta admit, they're not doing a very good job building talent. Freak Show fights can only keep you afloat for so long. Im really loving the HW Grand Prix though. Im picking Chael Sonnen to win the whole thing.

Weren't they getting like less than 100K viewers during the MTV2 days? They survived that and now they're backed by Viacom. I think they'll stick around. At least i sure hope they do. There has to be a mainstream alternative league to the UFC.

But I gotta admit, they're not doing a very good job building talent. Freak Show fights can only keep you afloat for so long. Im really loving the HW Grand Prix though. Im picking Chael Sonnen to win the whole thing.

Here are some MTV 2 ratings

Here are some MTV 2 ratings

Important to remember that mtv 2 is in far fewer homes.

Weren't people saying the same thing about WSOF like 3 yrs ago? Now they're still around and just got a super injection of investor money. Apparently there's some worth in these things even if they aren't profitable.

Bellator is still a highly successful promotion, getting in big viewers for television. Their problem is that it isn't really improving, and is only getting worse (business wise).

It's still a great source of content for those around it, and I'm sure it brings in enough money that it's owners aren't thinking of shutting up shop.

However, it feels very like TNA in professional wrestling. Plagued by misdirection, bad decision making and an inability to build it's own stars. KSW is putting on bigger events with less negative coverage and barely even uses non-homegrown fighters.

It's a shame that it's owners can't get it together. However, the future is bright as Bellator is investing in the distant future, not the near future. For some reason, Coker isn't interested in Caldwell or Pitbull Bros, but once they retire he's putting big effort into his own handpicked guys taking over.

Weren't people saying the same thing about WSOF like 3 yrs ago? Now they're still around and just got a super injection of investor money. Apparently there's some worth in these things even if they aren't profitable.

Maybe MMA is a perfect place to launder money ;)

Cause I can't think of why anyone would've invested in WSOF.

Bellator all hinges on what Viacom is willing to spend on the hours of live programming Bellator give them. With or without Bellator they have to spend money to fill those hours. I do think if Coker and people don't get there act together in the next year with what Viacom is spending on the product they maybe on the hot seat. The suits can't be happy with spending a hell of a lot more than say in 2015 and not seeing a whole lot of change in viewership. Sure attendance is better and maybe some other things but overall the ratings just seem stagnate.

I never understood why Spike and now Paramount barely ever replays any Bellator event or put together any type of Top 10 KO's type programs. To me that speaks volumes on how much they really care about Bellator. Tells me they don't make shit on Bellator and why would they waste an hour or more of programming time on something that won't produce what reruns of Cops will or whatever movie or show. Reruns of Bellator events or one hour or half hour "top 10 style show" would help get the name and product out there better and could help draw more viewers or at least common sense would lead you to believe that. God, I remember when the UFC was on Spike. There seemed be about 2 to 4 hours of UFC programming on Spike everyday if not more on many days.

P.S.: Chances are they won't even give us Bellator 200 Live on Paramount. Talk about just morons running the show. Hell of show is being put together, plus being 200, and it will be taped delayed over some damn movie that has been replayed probably 200 times over the years that afternoon. Grow a pair of balls someone with in Bellator or Paramount and get this live.

P.S.: Chances are they won't even give us Bellator 200 Live on Paramount. Talk about just morons running the show. Hell of show is being put together, plus being 200, and it will be taped delayed over some damn movie that has been replayed probably 200 times over the years that afternoon. Grow a pair of balls someone with in Bellator or Paramount and get this live.

What is Bellator thinking by having their 200th card in the UK? It won't be live in the UK or USA. All they are doing is getting the gate money.

Another one: why is Paul Daley fighting on 199 two weeks before the 200 show? Just..because they want to punish him?

Maybe MMA is a perfect place to launder money ;)

Cause I can't think of why anyone would've invested in WSOF.

"According to the Washington Post, ...PFL backer Ted Leonsis owns the NHL’s Washington Capitals, WNBA’s Mystics and Wizards. The family of Washington Nationals owner Ted Lerner is also an investor, along with eSports executive Brandon Beck and Tucker Kain, the Los Angeles Dodgers’ chief financial officer."

It even makes less sense when you know the investors.

People have literally been saying this every year since their inception lel

rI never understood why Spike and now Paramount barely ever replays any Bellator event or put together any type of Top 10 KO's type programs. .
Bellator should really put on a "UFC Unleashed" type of program. Shows like that are the reason I became a UFC fan. Bellator has almost 200 events worth of fights that they can use and they're too stupid to use any of it.

You could use some Chandler highlights to hype people up for one of his fights.

There are also plenty of former-Bellator talents currently in the UFC. Show Chandler beating Alvarez or Kongo beating Volkov around the time they have upcoming fights in the UFC.

Bringing "Fight Master" back might be much better for the college prospects than letting them decision 3-4 guys in the prelims.

Place your bets now.

What does it mean to close bellator's shop?

Back