How long do you lift/workout for per session?

nick jacoby

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
How long do you spend in the gym or how long does your routine last?

Lifting - 45 min or so.

Muay Thai / mma - two hours.

I try for 1 hour. at the beginning of a program I'm under, but towards the end I'm over.

1-2 hours two muscle group per day

I work out on my lunch break at work, so I'm limited to an hour.

Realistically I think that's plenty of time. I try to keep the intensity fairly high for the duration.

If I had more time, I'd probably just use it to stretch or do longer cool downs, that sort of thing.

On weekdays it's typically an hour or less. Weekends it can be up to 2 hours.

Less than 1 hr.
All the stuff I've read said going over 1 hr isn't doing you any good.

hour and a half but only half of that is lifting weights

45-60 min of banging weights.

1 hour, 6 days a week. Cardio is additional to that.

2 hours 3 times a week. two muscles groups plus cardio.

I have a question about Battle rope workouts... im wondering what the average duration of a rope workout with no pause/rest is? And what would be considered good or excellent. I keep gooling battle rope time trials or testimonials to compare what others out there do, but cant find anything.

I have a question about Battle rope workouts... im wondering what the average duration of a rope workout with no pause/rest is? And what would be considered good or excellent. I keep gooling battle rope time trials or testimonials to compare what others out there do, but cant find anything.
I tend to keep it with a HIIT type intensity. Usually something like 20 seconds work, 10 second rest, and 8-10 sets. Its worked for me when I did it, personally I don't like battle ropes and do more traditional conditioning, but its okay. There's no harm to it.

2-3 hours, depending on the workout and what phase of training I’m in at the time.

45-60, I take long breaks in between sets so I usually only get 2-3 lifts in.

30 mins, I've been lifting in secret on my way home from work at a gym at the end of my street. a bit like when homer got in shape. any longer than that and the ball and chain will get suspicious. I'm actually really proud of the improvements I've made considering how little time I have to dedicate to lifting.

What “stuff”?

I’m just curious for a source, since what you posted is utter nonsense
Wow, you must be fun to talk to at parties...

I posted "All the stuff I've read said going over 1 hr isn't doing you any good."

What is so "utter nonsense" about it? I have indeed in the past read articles recommending the 1hr length of workouts - is it nonsensical to assume this? The main concerns were cortisol and testosterone levels as well as risk of overtraining (which is always a valid concern IMHO).

I have also read other articles claiming that these fears are "myths" and it's fine to lift 2-3 hrs with proper nutrition and rest - I'm fine with that opinion but I just don't enjoy hanging around the gym for 3 hours! And I feel much better doing HFT than grueling 2-3hr gym sessions.

(https://www.t-nation.com/training/new-high-frequency-training)

Now, let me save you some time and find a few articles that prove you right:

https://www.quora.com/How-does-the-muscle-improve-if-you-work-out-for-1-hour-vs-2-4-hours

http://colindewaaytraining.com/lift-weights-over-one-hour/

See, you were right after all! You CAN train 2-3 hours and be fine! A winner is you!

But I really like the WRAP UP in this last one:

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/60-minute-workout-myth-cortisol

"Ultimately, if you’re actually training “intensely” the odds are you won’t last much longer than 2-3 hours in the gym anyway. I could see cortisol response being an issue if someone is training for 4-5 hours at a time for weeks on end, but that’s not really cortisol’s fault; that’s an issue of not having a life (seriously, go do something else for a few hours)."

Sincerely,
The Utter Nonsense Guy
(who lifts less than you and is generally not worth your time)

Back