How long are the rounds you do on the heavybag, speed bag, shadowboxing etc. and how many do you do?

nick jacoby

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What do you your training sessions look like?
Gimme some details.

How many workouts per week?
How long is each workout?
How many rounds?
How long is each round of everything?
And what do your workouts entail?!?

Gimme some details.

How many rounds?
3min rounds with 1 minute break in between.

For the round time, 3 minutes on, 1 minute rest. And use the last 30 seconds of each round to increase activity to a rapid flurry so as to simulate "stealing" the round.

I'd start with maybe 4-6 rounds, with 2-3 rounds at each phase. Two rounds of shadowboxing, two rounds of heavy bag, two rounds of double end bag, two rounds of punch mitts, etc.

When I was in good shape, I'd get to 15 rounds no problem, with good intensity and form. So 15 rounds x 3 minutes per round and 1 minute per rest comes out to 1 hour.

Sparring was by far the most important gym activity as there is simply no way to get good at fighting without putting the skills to the test against a live opponent.

This is kind of "old school boxing" in it's approach. I'm sure there's newer techniques out there that might be more firmly rooted in science. But this works.

On the days I'm not at the gym, I'll go for a 2.5-3 mile run around town 4 days a week.

On the days I am, classes tend to go thusly:

1. 3-5 min jumping rope and other warmup exercises.

2. Stretches.. that's another 3-5 min.

3. 40-50 mins of combo work on pads.. typically starting with focus mits, then Thai pads, then kick shields.

4. 10-20 mins of optional sparring at the end.

My typical solo workout is 20 rounds on the heavybag. 3 min rounds with 30 sek break.

The timer will beep when its 30 sek left in each round. So i will finish each round with a task. Push-ups, sit-ups, or burpees

Gimme some details.

How many rounds?
I do various things in clubs but I do heavy bag as part of my solo routine once per week:

1) Run 5-6K outside then go in my basement:

2) 6 rounds, each with 3' and 1' break:
1R warm-up 1-2s with small weights non stop
1R Jabs and 1-2s on heavy bag
1R low kicks, jabs and 1-2s on heavy bag
1R in the pocket hooks
1R mixing all punches and low kicks
1R front kicks and 1-2s

I vary a bit of course but this is what I always come back to in terms of focus bc this is what works for me in sparring. A particularity that will make the seasoned dudes here laugh but I do ALL my heavy bag with a tennis ball under my chin and I ALWAYS focus on in and out movements with high guard.

Then, lastly, some O lifts. I don't do high weights because i am still learning the movements. I do 40 Kg. Like maybe 15'.

Then by that time my wife is usually screaming at me so I jump in the shower.

Just a lot of variety, goals and thought process. If it´s fun you´ll do more. Also add in rounds suited to competition if you compete, like 5 x 3 with 1 min breaks. And random drills which you can google. Like 1 10 minute round. Or 1 maximum tempo 1 min rest for 5 cycles. Or things like flow work, technical, power, pacing ect. And praciticng techniques you need specifically. Like a round in fight simulaiton based, or switch stance round, or a round with a lot of jabs. Or even like serious of 10-20 repeating a strike trying to focus on clean technique. It´s always uefull to work on the bad, not much you should do wrong there, granted you got some technical instructions.

How much depends on how much you got time, motivation and can recover from. More is better unless you underrest or exhaust yourself in a unhealthy way.

It can be simple, Thais just punch and kick stuff, be it bags pads the air or each other for like 4 hours a day and then lift some weight or body excercises and run. So more is better. If you can recover, so sleep and diet and stress levels. And the more you progress the more you can do. After 6 months you can do a lot of more volume then in the first 3 weeks. You do something more you get better at it. The number how much really just depends how much energy you have and time. And willingness to do it. It´s individual based on your current situation and shape.

Usually I'm doing 30-45 mins of rope jumping and 10-15 3 mins rounds at the Heavybag.

If I'm too lazy I'll just skip the drills and have 45 - 60 mins of free form heavybag workouts.

I'll stretch 10-15 mins after.

I do this 3-5 times a week.

When I trained at a boxing gym, it was:
-3-5 rounds jump rope to warm up
-6 rounds heavy bag
-3 rounds double end bag
-2 rounds speed bag
-3 rounds shadowboxing with weights

And then whatever else I felt like doing after, but that was the expected minimum per day for everyone with some drills and mitts worked in here and there. I usually alternated heavy bag or double end bag for an extra 6 rounds each day after the regular workout. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

All 3min/1min rest cycle. Did this 5x/wk. Maybe a few 5k runs sprinkled throughout the week as well.

Cardio was always pretty decent in sparring, though I wasn't really working with anyone with much, if any experience competing in these sessions.

These days it's 12 rounds of whatever 2-5x/wk, before or after my daily 100 pushups, 100 squats, 100 situps, and 10km run.

Last edited:
Just a lot of variety, goals and thought process. If it´s fun you´ll do more. Also add in rounds suited to competition if you compete, like 5 x 3 with 1 min breaks. And random drills which you can google. Like 1 10 minute round. Or 1 maximum tempo 1 min rest for 5 cycles. Or things like flow work, technical, power, pacing ect. And praciticng techniques you need specifically. Like a round in fight simulaiton based, or switch stance round, or a round with a lot of jabs. Or even like serious of 10-20 repeating a strike trying to focus on clean technique. It´s always uefull to work on the bad, not much you should do wrong there, granted you got some technical instructions.

How much depends on how much you got time, motivation and can recover from. More is better unless you underrest or exhaust yourself in a unhealthy way.

It can be simple, Thais just punch and kick stuff, be it bags pads the air or each other for like 4 hours a day and then lift some weight or body excercises and run. So more is better. If you can recover, so sleep and diet and stress levels. And the more you progress the more you can do. After 6 months you can do a lot of more volume then in the first 3 weeks. You do something more you get better at it. The number how much really just depends how much energy you have and time. And willingness to do it. It´s individual based on your current situation and shape.
I am not sure that I agree with the statement that nothing that can go wrong there.

I personally have developed bad habits on the heavy bag, like staying at same reach, staying at same rythm and not protecting yourself.

Unless you train a lot and do other drills, you will calibrate your muscle memory accordingly and will be having a bad surprise when sparring. The most obvious is distance management, where you will have a hard time getting in without getting tagged.

As I wrote in my post above, nothing has helped me in sparring more than focusing on breaking the distance with tucked chin, high guard, jabs ans feints, then do either one punch or a combo, and immediately get out and reset.

Just my 0.02 and this may not apply to someone who trains a lot.

I am not sure that I agree with the statement that nothing that can go wrong there.

I personally have developed bad habits on the heavy bag, like staying at same reach, staying at same rythm and not protecting yourself.

Unless you train a lot and do other drills, you will calibrate your muscle memory accordingly and will be having a bad surprise when sparring. The most obvious is distance management, where you will have a hard time getting in without getting tagged.

As I wrote in my post above, nothing has helped me in sparring more than focusing on breaking the distance with tucked chin, high guard, jabs ans feints, then do either one punch or a combo, and immediately get out and reset.

Just my 0.02 and this may not apply to someone who trains a lot.
So what does that mean in regards to his post. Get clean habbits then go solo on the Heavybag ? He asked for some formats to train on the bag

Not doing bag work cause the technique might be wrong

Not sure bout any if it. To get good technique you need to use it A LOT.

That being said our old boxing trainer drilled us 3 x a week for half a year to just learn to box, walk and keep our hands up. I don't feel I picked up bad habbits. On the contrary, I see nowadays gyms just have new joiners do what everyone else does in class, no specific changes, so wouldn't be suprised if they pick up inferior habbits.

But still I think he can get better working the bag. But then you got a point, if his instruction and understanding is insuficient he might end up developing a weird style, with holes and wrong techniques.

Edit : I meant format wise he can't do much wrong, weather he does 10x3 or any other variation of intervals. But you can always use bad technique. So depends on him and his gym. How mindfull he is of himself.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back