How is your fight gym work out looking like?

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I would like to get different ideas of how the classes go in your gyms.
Here is how we do it in our:
I start with
2x2 mins of shadow boxing warming up, as am against the idea of streching without my body being properly warmed.

Hard static streching for 15 mins

Tempo and footwork drills for about 15-20mins. Usually including simple combos, weaving and ducking and footwork for speed at the end.

Partner drills for about 30 mins. Starting with simple distance work with 1-1-2 while the partner is backing out so the hits are barelly grazing. Then adding counters to that. Then adding leg kicks. Then adding angles. Later we will work on another combo. All is worked in 3 min rounds with 30 sec rests. We may have a clinch + take down day too but the rules are about the same.

Then there are 3-4 rounds of spar with conditions. Usually one is cornered and needs to defend while the other partner is trying to keep him cornered. Changing positions in 1.5 of the round. Then adding counter striking for the second round. Last rounds are usuallly free style.

After that we do intense cardio work. 30 second burpees + 30 second straight punches + 30 seconds burpees + 30 seconds hooks body head + 30 seconds burpees + 30 seconds uppercuts.

We finish we an intence 5 min abs work.

The coach is always watching and instructing especially on the technique and often participates in the drills. I am usually dead after every work out.

Gym i used to train at did 20 min cardio (burpees abs etc), 10 min stretch, 25 min building up drills/combos, 2 min burnout set of kicks (50 a side or whatever). Then bjj.

I once went to a place for a little while that did about 15 minutes of hard cardio. Now, I might get a lot of flack for this, but it wasn't a very efficient way of training in my eyes. The goal was to get good at mma, but we were all fried from the non-stop "cardio" circuit that our time to practice wasn't as high a quality. I think warming up is important, but save cardio for a different day or time.

I once went to a place for a little while that did about 15 minutes of hard cardio. Now, I might get a lot of flack for this, but it wasn't a very efficient way of training in my eyes. The goal was to get good at mma, but we were all fried from the non-stop "cardio" circuit that our time to practice wasn't as high a quality. I think warming up is important, but save cardio for a different day or time.

This is something i've been trying to nitpick at coaches for. Warm ups are great, fatiguing people before situational drills/sparring is stupid, trains faulty motor patterns. To an extent it may need to be donefor mental toughness, but that can be done on pad work days, not when you're maneuvering against a body.

Yeah honestly some shadow boxing and jump rope is perfect for warm up but those circuits should be saved for after drills bags/pads and sparring. I mean honestly nothing conditions you better than sparring. Circuits don't really do much other than just make you sweat. I prefer running to circuits for cardio.

I may have not been clear but the tempo drills are an actual technique drill. The coach wants us to get in a bouncing stance not static one so we do some simple combos and footwork while being on non static stance. It kind of looks like doing forms in a martial arts class. The goal is to have a bouncy stance good guard and good technique on simple hits weaves slips and etc. We end up doing pretty intence footwork drill. He hates us seeing being static in partner drills and spars so he added these drills.

Depends on the camp if its MT, BJJ, or MMA

Also it will depend on the class exp. if most of the classes have new fresh aspiring fighters, the basics will be hammered down in those classes, if I'm in it with alot of the more exp. guys, we'll work on more "advanced stuff."

MT camp its usually:
-flow sparring to get warm
-partner drills
-padwork
-clinch work
-sometimes normal sparring if time allows

we do conditioning on our own time. And we have to, with our coach, if we just do camp while being lazy with conditioning, and about week 4 we're gassing out after 1 round of sparring (or even mid round); If that happens regularly, we will get cut. It's never happened to me, because I never wanted to be that guy who gets cut, but 2 others I've been with have.

This is something i've been trying to nitpick at coaches for. Warm ups are great, fatiguing people before situational drills/sparring is stupid, trains faulty motor patterns. To an extent it may need to be donefor mental toughness, but that can be done on pad work days, not when you're maneuvering against a body.
The whole idea is old school crap. If its hard, then its good for you. End result is guys who show up to their fights beat up from endless circuits, when it should be done in a progressive manner and periodized like strength work.

One time I dropped in for a class that an assistant coach was teaching. The "conditioning" included, jumping lunges side to side, and it looked like ACL tear city so I just went on to doing my own thing. Good thing I came late. Good thing it was odd numbers as well, so I was able to get in without that crap afterwards.

Conditioning and fight training should be kept separate for the most part imo.

My old Muay Thai club was run more or less like every Muay Thai school I ever visited in Thailand.

-jumprope 10-15
-jogging 10-15
-stretching ~10

Wrap hands
-shadow box 3x5min
-pads 5x5min
-heavy bad stuff, usually 5x5min
-group conditioning or sparring.

Done

Are you training to compete or just training to get in shape?

I am too old to start competing right now but I would not mind an amateur fight for charity event or an amateur fight in general.

I am too old to start competing right now but I would not mind an amateur fight for charity event or an amateur fight in general.
If you're training to get in shape, then stay the course.

If you're training because you'd like to compete, find a better trainer.

Back