How is the UFC worth more than the Cowboys, Yankees, Patriots, Manchester United, and FC Barcelona?

The Cowboys are valued around 4.8 billion dollars, which is more than the UFC. No one likes baseball, which is why baseball teams are worth far less. You sell exponentially more ad time during a NFL game, as well as jerseys, and the players in the nfl get paid like shit other than the top stars.

You're not taking in bigger picture.

You can't compare individual sports franchises to the UFC.

The Cowboys and Patriots are 2 of 32 teams in the NFL.

The Yankees are 1 team in MLB.

You have to compare the UFC to the MLB, NFL and the other sports leagues.

Remember, professional sports owners profit share. They are in this together and really not competitors. Teams that don't make playoffs still profit off playoffs.

Now you can compare Conor McGregor, the UFC's biggest assest, to the Patriots, Yankees, Lakers, Manchester United, etc. That's the fair comparison.

I'm pretty sure I could compare Conor to Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo, not Barcelona or Real Madrid

Just because WME paid over 4 billion for the UFC, doesn't mean it's worth that much.
It really kind of does.

Since the value of a franchise or Art work or many things are partiallyh and largely subjective based on what someone is willing to pay for it, that is how we determine what its worth.

Now you may believe that no one else would buy it from WME for that much now or in the future and therefore it will come down in value but that is just 100% speculation and if we go by that, instead of what was last paid, then almost nothing in this realm is worth anything as we can always find a skeptic to speculate otherwise.

If any of those teams listed above were to be sold, it would be for far more than what that chart shows.

A few months ago, Forbes had their annual list of NBA teams value, the Rockets were listed at 1.65 billion, yet recently they sold for 2.2 billion.

I agree that likely many of those franchises would sell higher if put on the market.

You can't really compare the UFC as a business to these various teams within larger sports.

As far as value goes though I'd guessing the issue is that whilst income wise its way behind these big teams it also keeps a much higher percentage of its income due to low fighter pay.

You generally don't sell a successful company for what it's worth. That would be pointless. WME didn't buy the UFC to make their money back in year. They bought it to hopefully start making billions in profit in about 5 years.

You can't really compare the UFC as a business to these various teams within larger sports.

As far as value goes though I'd guessing the issue is that whilst income wise its way behind these big teams it also keeps a much higher percentage of its income due to low fighter pay.
Correct. In this case the UFC is the NFL or NBA. Its the league and as a league it would be a blip compared to the entire NFL, NBA, big Soccer leagues.

So comparing the UFC to a team is not appropriate for many reasons.

here come the MBA's....

Barcelona wouldn't go for less than 10 Billion
That's why you buy the lower ranked teams like Chelsea, Manchester City, Paris St-Germain...

I don't think Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich are for sale.

More athleticism than the rest combined...
giphy-downsized-large.gif
LMAO!! But she moves her goodies well!

That's why you buy the lower ranked teams like Chelsea, Manchester City, Paris St-Germain...

I don't think Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich are for sale.

Barcelona are owned by the fans and Real Madrid are basically owned by the spanish government. Bayern munich are 75% privately owned and big share holders are Audi,Adidas and Allianz. All 3 are definately not for sale. I doubt you could buy them no matter how much money was offered.

I'd say WME are morons but Fertitta's also supposedly got a 4.5 billion offer from China. So a few people were willing to pay that much.

If it was it would be listed on that graph.

2 words:

Platinum Mike Perry

Owning the UFC has some big advantages over owning one of those sports team. With the UFC, you get autonomy.

For example, if you own the Cowboys, you have to answer to the NFL and the NFLPA. You have to give a bunch of your money to smaller markets like the Buffalo Bills because of revenue sharing. You can't negotiate your own TV deals, decide your own schedule etc.

Back