Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
- most ufc wins
- toughest division
- most consecutive rounds won
- no unavenged losses, he's beat everyone he's faced
- retired as champ
- never had a losing streak(Anderson/Fedor)
- defeated all time greats like Hughes and Penn
- not many finishes but completely outclassed top level competition
- NATTY AF

Only argument can be made for Jon Jones.

- most ufc wins
- toughest division
- most consecutive rounds won
- no unavenged losses, he's beat everyone he's faced
- retired as champ
- never had a losing streak(Anderson/Fedor)
- defeated all time greats like Hughes and Penn
- not many finishes but completely outclassed top level competition
- NATTY AF

Only argument can be made for Jon Jones.

Because boring fighter, and you KNOW he lost to Hendricks.

- NATTY AF
131012-gsp.jpg

The whole thing is debatable. You could make the argument that Silva and Jones actually finished fights while GSP was a decision machine. More finishes against top competition = more dominance.

The way you win has to be considered in the GOAT discussion. Also he lost more rounds than Fedor did. I have him as a clear 2nd and beating everyone he fought helps. I just don't think he ever made it to the point Fedor did (32 fights losing 1 round) before he retired

WW might be one of the deepest divisions now, but you might not remember when Mike Quick Swick became top 5 overnight simply because he knocked out Alex Schoenauer and Gideon Ray in a couple seconds.

It's very obvious he is

Jones before he popped was just about there

Anderson and Fedor's losing streaks were after age 32.

GSP retired at age 32.

Not a valid point imo

Your last bullet point is laughable. He never got caught which only means....he never got caught.
GSP retired pre-USADA so we never even found out if he could pass the good tests.

Some of your other points are good (no losing streak, avenged all losses, retired as champ, lots of wins) but a few are junk. Most consecutive rounds won is a side-effect of no finishing ability. So is his finish rate dropping to ~20% in the post-Serra phase of his career with 7 consecutive decisions to finish it.

Nothing says outclassing top competition like finishing them.

And that's not to take away from the fact that GSP is easily the best WW ever and a reasonable pick for GOAT for some people.

WW might be one of the deep divisions now, but you might not remember when Mike Quick Swick became top 5 overnight simply because he knocked out Alex Schoenauer and Gideon Ray in a couple seconds.

name a title contender that wasn't legit that GSP dominated

other than Hardy

Because boring fighter, and you KNOW he lost to Hendricks.

His record and the judges disagree with you.

So... no... Hendricks lost to GSP, and no amount of whining or wishful thinking will change that.

The way you win has to be considered in the GOAT discussion. Also he lost more rounds than Fedor did. I have him as a clear 2nd and beating everyone he fought helps. I just don't think he ever made it to the point Fedor did (32 fights losing 1 round) before he retired
10001940.gif

Gsp never got KO'D by a featherweight

Bailed after he was gifted a bullshit decision.
Bailed once new, stricter, PED testing was announced.
Never tried to finish a fight after getting ko'd be Serra.
Definitely not a GOAT contender. Too many asterix's.

WW might be one of the deep divisions now, but you might not remember when Mike Quick Swick became top 5 overnight simply because he knocked out Alex Schoenauer and Gideon Ray in a couple seconds.

Those fights were at Middleweight. Swick didn't drop weight classes and get a WW Title eliminator until MUCH later. Albeit he "earned" it with wins over opponents only slightly better than the ones you mentioned. Marcus Davis and I don't recall who else? Maybe Burkman.

Every day there is a thread on GSP being a GOAT or GSP not being a GOAT.

I've come to the conclusion that Sherdog may be choking on GSP dick.

This exact same sentiment could apply universally to many current fighters. One undeservedly in particular.

1.) GSP doesn't like hockey, ergo: he has the support of a nation that he doesn't deserve.

2.) he researches dinosaurs but never saved two children from live ones

3.) he was mean to his grandmother

Back