How hard will Jim Lampley cry on Oct 27 HBO's last boxing show ever?

Petition to bring Larry Merchant back for the final show.

Too bad he wasn't let go from hbo too. HBO was bad for boxing as was lampley.

I dont mind that

but Lampley cries on anything, I heard him on some radio show from new york that does hip hop and he started crying during the interview or quivering, it was weird why cry on anything, something has to be up with this guys brain to be this emotional at everything heck you can tell him a fighter could afford mustard and he will start tearing up

he was NEVER like this until he hit his 60s.
And how old are you ?

One thing about not just Lampley but modern journalism is that it play willy nilly with the always taught but seldom practiced "objectivity" that journalism was supposed to be about. It was never "objective" never, but they at least tried to be professional in earlier times, media of all kinds has really changed, I doubt if Lampley or anyone else would be tolerated crying and shit in earlier eras. One exception might be Cronkite when he broke down after he told the country the president was dead but even then he did his damndest to keep it under raps and under the circumstances, who was going to fire him?

Jim Lampley...good riddance. Him and Kellerman have run their course.

He's someone who loves what he does, and he's done a fantastic job calling fights for the past 30 years or so. If he's emotional, than so be it. I'll miss him.

Also, I have to say that send off he had to Pacquiao following his 3rd fight against Bradley was one his best send offs I've seen.

I have nothing against him but i have to agree, it's a little wierd, tyson does it too. I think why it rubs some people wrong is it brings up whatever someone else might be feeling and it creates an anti-sentiment to put it in check. You know, how people will say, "now don't start that" not because they are cold but they don't want to feel anything like that at the moment. It can sound harsh though.

Fuck you all Lampley is the best to have ever done it.

But yeah he is weird with that. I remember after the cotto Mosley fight he seemed to get emotional for ... watching a good fight?

I dont mind that

but Lampley cries on anything, I heard him on some radio show from new york that does hip hop and he started crying during the interview or quivering, it was weird why cry on anything, something has to be up with this guys brain to be this emotional at everything heck you can tell him a fighter could afford mustard and he will start tearing up

he was NEVER like this until he hit his 60s.
He got like that not long after his domestic violence thing. Medication, most likely.

But yeah he is weird with that. I remember after the cotto Mosley fight he seemed to get emotional for ... watching a good fight?
Terrible. Too biased. I don't think a commentator should have obvious favorites.

Terrible. Too biased. I don't think a commentator should have obvious favorites.

Guy wasn’t perfect that’s for sure, being biased was the least of his problems, he could sometimes be flat out weird. But I still think he is the best at what he did. Not a lot to choose from really

It is crazy they're not gonna have boxing anymore

He got like that not long after his domestic violence thing. Medication, most likely.
yeah thats around the time but thats also when he was heavy into Pot, he was taking Marijuana as his medication and I heard some guys if they smoke too much get emotional and it increases estrogen after a long period of time or something like that.

look at Joe Rogan he is crying on his podcast now, there have been a few podcasts where he was starting to get emotional but stopped. Not as bad as quivering lip lampley.

His emotion shows how important boxing on HBO was and how much he invested his life into it.

Nothing wrong with it.

totally agreed.

hbo boxing IS boxing. them leaving the business is gonna leave a void.

Ever heard of Don Dunphy? Ever listened to some of the older broadcasts? No histrionics, no excess drama, just the facts. Cosell really screwed up sports broadcasting by making it all about him. Some of the latter day better ones have been Lamps, I love Merchant, I like most of them actually but it's certainly gone downhill. Max Kellerman is ok I guess, Al Bernstein is a pro, I never could figure out why Barry Thompkins kept getting fired. Most of them are ok, actually, i don't think I actually dislike any of them. Even Cosell was called the guy you loved to hate. As I said, none of them are objective, Bernstein, as good as he is, I can tell he doesn't like certain fighters like Ali very much and even Don Dunphy could be heard misrepresenting "The Drama In The Bahamas" making it sound like a great event rather than a travesty.

totally agreed.

hbo boxing IS boxing. them leaving the business is gonna leave a void.

no it wont. new generation, new boxing. simple as that. acting like the boxers on HBO just last year have all retired. a new fresh air for commentary over Canelo or GGG is good for the sport!

Back