How great was mike Tyson's chin?

Tyson would knock him out fast in his prime, what the hell?

Tyson had a very solid chin, his durability is much overlooked. He had flaws in his conditioning..when he started putting on a bit more mass towards the later of his career he couldn't maintain the offensive style he once had.

He had a great chin but i wouldnt say it was one of the best.

There are multiple things that make for a great chin, and physically, he had all the qualities that are generally assigned: prominent chin, thick neck, big skull.

Problem with him was that his style was taxing, his conditioning could be lacking, and most significantly, he was not very mentally tough (he had quit in him). I would attribute at least a couple of his KO losses to one or all of the above.

Mentally weak stuff is such bullshit. The tail end was a money grab but in the fight against Lennox, he took some holyshit shots before going down. He really wanted that. Douglas's uppercut would have put anyone out. I don't really count Holyfield because he was dirty as fuck. Tyson had every right to elbow or low blow him intentionally. I don't know why he didn't but Holyfield shouldn't be getting a get out of free card for headbutting just because his style is "lead with my head". In my opinion, most of the times he lost or gave in some he was outclassed and knew he wouldn't win. His chin was very solid but he was never dumb enough to let himself get the shit kicked out of him just for a losing effort.

Tyson's chin was nothing special (ok don't compare him to regular mortals, but to other elite boxers)

GGG's chin, now that's a unique piece of kryptonite
What a ridiculous post. Golovkin has never taken anything remotely close to what Tyson did.

Tysons conditioning failed before his chin did. The dude withstood massive beatings before he would go down.

Tyson had a great chin. People will foolishly bring up the fact that he was stopped 5 times, but all those stoppages came after BRUTAL accumulation of punishment, or when he was very old in the last few fights of his career.

Tyson took some real bombs from some SERIOUS punchers and kept on going. I always cringe when people claim that Tyson had no chin or heart - these people don't know boxing and only watch the HLs.

Tysons conditioning failed before his chin did. The dude withstood massive beatings before he would go down.

Agreed. Tyson's toughness is probably underrated, the guy was a beast. He fought some killers and took immense punishment. He wasn't a front runner, he showed a lot of heart against Buster, Holyfield, Lewis, etc.

People could give you a list a mile long with people with better chins "one of the better ones" doesn't lose by stoppage 5 times.

Spurious. I cringe every time you comment on Tyson.

Agreed. Tyson's toughness is probably underrated, the guy was a beast. He fought some killers and took immense punishment. He wasn't a front runner, he showed a lot of heart against Buster, Holyfield, Lewis, etc.

Even in fights he won, like vs Razor Ruddock, he ate some bombs.

Even in fights he won, like vs Razor Ruddock, he ate some bombs.

Yes, and the first Frank Bruno fight. 230-240lbs of solid muscle, 38 KOs in 40 wins, hit Tyson with some brutal shots.

Spurious. I cringe every time you comment on Tyson.
Shut up, his chin got cracked. If you're talking in his prime, go for it, if you're talking entire career, nope.

Mentally weak stuff is such bullshit. The tail end was a money grab but in the fight against Lennox, he took some holyshit shots before going down. He really wanted that. Douglas's uppercut would have put anyone out. I don't really count Holyfield because he was dirty as fuck. Tyson had every right to elbow or low blow him intentionally. I don't know why he didn't but Holyfield shouldn't be getting a get out of free card for headbutting just because his style is "lead with my head". In my opinion, most of the times he lost or gave in some he was outclassed and knew he wouldn't win. His chin was very solid but he was never dumb enough to let himself get the shit kicked out of him just for a losing effort.

He got the absolute shit kicked out of him against Lewis, and he didn't quit when he clearly could have, and while he may have gave up in a few of his other fights, the guy took some fucking serious punishment that could have really hurt him bad(and i suspect will in the long term)

He had a very good chin IMO, he could take some serious whacks and the only knockdown i remember that was not from quitting or losing heart was in the first Holyfield fight, he got clipped in about the 4th(correct me if i am wrong) and went down, more of a flash knockdown(as seen against sparring with Tubbs)

Shut up, his chin got cracked. If you're talking in his prime, go for it, if you're talking entire career, nope.
When did he ever fold before his conditioning did?

Never.

he had a great chin, his losses were always a result of either insane punishment or quitting. unlike an ali he was too small to do anything but take a beating if he came in unprepared. Ali could clinch, use his reach.

I think he pretty much had a Polynesian level chin. Stupidly hard to just knock out like that without first administering a severe beating over the course of a long fight. The guy was hard as nails.

I'd say he had a good chin. Not on the level of someone like Vitali, but he could definitely endure some punishment.

his other problem is he didn't know anything but walking forward, he didn't know too much about lateral movement unless he was using it for an offensive position, so, no lateral movement, no developed boxing skills hence, nothing that would assist him in getting away from some of these big guys, even when he took beatings he walked in to them.

he had a great chin, his losses were always a result of either insane punishment or quitting. unlike an ali he was too small to do anything but take a beating if he came in unprepared. Ali could clinch, use his reach.

His style basically guaranteed he was going to take shots. Patterson got put on his ass a lot, too. It didn't help matters that after Tyson came back from prison he just went looking for the one punch knockout and he never learned to boxing inside. I can't figure out why he never learned to box inside. I don't know if he couldn't or was just too tired from peek a booing.

Back