How good would UFC be with just monthly PPV

Barboza vs. Kevin Lee on a fight night card really takes away a great match up for a PPV. I miss the days of once a month UFC. Everyone would get together and have a party, it was such a big event. No one ever does that anymore. Dustin Porier also being wasted on a fight night. Darren fucking Till is on a fight night. I don't even care if I watch UFC 224 live. Nunes vs. Pennington on 224... Belfort Machida on 224 was relevant 10 years ago.

UFC got it backwards.
I've been saying it since I joined (and thinking it for years): 12 PPVs a year and 12 FOX cards a year, 10 fights per card, cut the extra fighters.

I will never understand this mentality of "you can make it better by making it smaller and having less of it". If you only want to see it once a month, then only watch it once a month.
You've missed the point, but it is all just a matter of opinion.

in 2006 lots of people fondly remembered pre-TUF MMA.

but if it hadn't been for TUF and the growth it created from 2005 and on, you most likely wouldn't have become a fan, TS.

similarly, you now wish the growth had stopped about the time you came on board.

sorta like how every new group of immigrants to America want immigration to slow down now, instead of before they got here. and like you, they don't see the irony ;)

i would suggest taking the good with the bad, TS. you get a lot of free MMA. 2003 fans would have creamed their pants about what you take for granted.

~~~

all that being said, did the F brothers take it too far in their goal to make their company as financially valuable as possible? and did it hurt the fans? the answer to both is "yes". damn them for wanting a 10 figure payoff instead of 9!

You might be right but it's to say. Shoudln't there be a balance? In 2004 I was watching Sherdog highlight videos on youtube, getting to know the Shamrocks, Sakuraba, the Gracies, Bas etc. but I wasn't buying PPVs that's true. I was watching Friday Night Fights with Max Kellerman. Friday Night Fights was what Fight Night should be, two month old PPV re-runs, with new fighters, and it was marketed to high school and poor college kids who couldn't afford a real PPV.

Then came Oscar de la Hoya's The Contender, followed by TUF. That was the moment MMA took over, because TUF was so much better than The Contender, then you had Griffin Bonner, etc. etc. but we rode that wave. It's time to look to the future.

2008-2011, we were years past TUF and MMA was peaking hard. 2013 with Conor and Ronda coming on, we entered a super star era that kind of threatens to take MMA the way of boxing, where the stars are bigger than the sport. When the UFC can't put on a stacked PPV, I think it hurts the brand. They could easily put on a stacked PPV by drawing talent away from the Fight Nights. People who watch Fight Nights include kids who can't afford PPV, you don't need to feed them Lee, Pourier, Till etc. that's just a waste to give them big name talent like that and provides no incentive for them to save their allowance to buy a PPV.

I will never understand this mentality of "you can make it better by making it smaller and having less of it". If you only want to see it once a month, then only watch it once a month.

I'm not saying have less fights, I am saying move all the big fights off Fight Night and stack them on a PPV so people can get excited and I can have more BBQs.

It would be better free on TV and online.

But seriousl, the UFC is trying to over saturate so they can build up cans like Sage and create more stars, even if they blow at fighting. To those paying attention, there is a mass pivot taking place with WME's UFC and I, for one, dont like it; hiring cheap talent, not signing the best, not keeping the best, hype galore, sign good looking/gimmick fighters above the best actual fighters, over saturate, get away from PPV model and depend on the UFC name to keep the ponzi scheme rolling.

You have to have at least 1 or 2 fights with good names in a fight night. Otherwise people won´t buy it if it´s full of up n comers they've never heard of. Not all people are hardcore fans, so they need good names there too, like Edson "the guy from that kick" Barboza fighting Kevin Lee who´s already fought for the interim title. If you take that away, what do you have left? Sterling vs Johns who???

People buy fight nights?

Pretty good.

Edit: They would probably still need to do something for the unranked/lower ranked guys though.

Ya, the minor leagues.

Said it before, I'll say it a million times, there should be top 20 in each weight class in the UFC. That's it. That would be 240 fighters. If they add 165 and move 170 to 175, that's 260 fighters.

If you consider that other orgs have people ranked in the top 30 in the world, it's possible that you can be ranked 20th in the UFC in your division, and be ranked around 25th in the world. That should be the bottom of the barrel.

There is no fuckin way anyone should be ranked lower than 50th in the world in their division and be in the UFC. And that's not even close to the worst. Imagine the 3,000th best basketball player in the world was in the NBA.

Ya, the minor leagues.

Said it before, I'll say it a million times, there should be top 20 in each weight class in the UFC. That's it. That would be 240 fighters. If they add 165 and move 170 to 175, that's 260 fighters.

If you consider that other orgs have people ranked in the top 30 in the world, it's possible that you can be ranked 20th in the UFC in your division, and be ranked around 25th in the world. That should be the bottom of the barrel.

There is no fuckin way anyone should be ranked lower than 50th in the world in their division and be in the UFC. And that's not even close to the worst. Imagine the 3,000th best basketball player in the world was in the NBA.

Yeah that makes sense. I don't see it happening though. Maybe they should have a loan system where fighters belong to an organization (UFC) and can be loaned out to smaller ones for a period of time or set amount of fights. This will allow the UFC to hold on to their talent and the unranked dudes can gain experience.

You might be right but it's to say. Shoudln't there be a balance? In 2004 I was watching Sherdog highlight videos on youtube, getting to know the Shamrocks, Sakuraba, the Gracies, Bas etc. but I wasn't buying PPVs that's true. I was watching Friday Night Fights with Max Kellerman. Friday Night Fights was what Fight Night should be, two month old PPV re-runs, with new fighters, and it was marketed to high school and poor college kids who couldn't afford a real PPV.

Then came Oscar de la Hoya's The Contender, followed by TUF. That was the moment MMA took over, because TUF was so much better than The Contender, then you had Griffin Bonner, etc. etc. but we rode that wave. It's time to look to the future.

2008-2011, we were years past TUF and MMA was peaking hard. 2013 with Conor and Ronda coming on, we entered a super star era that kind of threatens to take MMA the way of boxing, where the stars are bigger than the sport. When the UFC can't put on a stacked PPV, I think it hurts the brand. They could easily put on a stacked PPV by drawing talent away from the Fight Nights. People who watch Fight Nights include kids who can't afford PPV, you don't need to feed them Lee, Pourier, Till etc. that's just a waste to give them big name talent like that and provides no incentive for them to save their allowance to buy a PPV.

eventually there might be a balance. people have been complaining about oversaturation for years, but it will probably take a major debt restructure to achieve it.

UFC needed 40+ events to satisfy the Fox and 100's of other tv deals around the world. that brought revenue that pushed them into a $4b sale.

they cannot now go back to 12 or even 24 events and still pay off that sale, unless they make a lot more $ off fewer TV events.

so we're in a period of stagflation (for lack of a better term). it'll be curious to look back 10 years from now.

eventually there might be a balance. people have been complaining about oversaturation for years, but it will probably take a major debt restructure to achieve it.

UFC needed 40+ events to satisfy the Fox and 100's of other tv deals around the world. that brought revenue that pushed them into a $4b sale.

they cannot now go back to 12 or even 24 events and still pay off that sale, unless they make a lot more $ off fewer TV events.

so we're in a period of stagflation (for lack of a better term). it'll be curious to look back 10 years from now.

Why not switch machida belfort off the Ppv and put Darren till on the Ppv?

It would be better free on TV and online.

But seriousl, the UFC is trying to over saturate so they can build up cans like Sage and create more stars, even if they blow at fighting. To those paying attention, there is a mass pivot taking place with WME's UFC and I, for one, dont like it; hiring cheap talent, not signing the best, not keeping the best, hype galore, sign good looking/gimmick fighters above the best actual fighters, over saturate, get away from PPV model and depend on the UFC name to keep the ponzi scheme rolling.

There’s a place for Sage and Page but I agree the marketing was misplaced. Ability has to come first.

Like the good old days. Every card would be insane stacked. I would be looking forward to it all month.
Bring back the individual event websites while we are at it.

There’s a place for Sage and Page but I agree the marketing was misplaced. Ability has to come first.
There is a place for everyone that wants to fight, but one thing w can all agree on is that UFC is no longer the place where 'the best fight the best'. Otherwise, they would have passed on signing Sage for one hundred thousand a fight and would have signed Vitaly Minakov.

Back