How good was Ricardo Lopez?

HardasNAILZ

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Me and a couple of friends were discussing who was the greatest fighter in the last 25 years below welterweight and one of them said Ricardo Lopez, I remember him and I know he retired undefeated but how good was he?

No one could touch him at 105, but there were some damn good fighters at 108 and 112 that he clearly didn't want to get in the ring with.

Dominated 105, but the more fruitful challenges has always been a division above at 108. There always talk about him taking on Michael Carbajal and Humberto Gonzalez, but that never materialized. Unfortunate. His tremendous ability and dominance at 105 was something to behold.

top 10 among mexican fighters for sure. his competition wasn't up to par with the likes of chavez, barrera, morales, sanchez etc. but he was a great fighter and totally dominated his era.

its a damn shame he never got to face carbajal or gonzales.

It's not unfortunate. He made a choice. He could have made $400,000 a fight at 108, against those top guys, but he decided to make $40,000 a fight taking on the best at 105, being lauded by Ring magazine and other idiots.

Unfortunate for us Fans to never see him fight those guys.

I vaguely remeber his fight with Alvarez, he was knocked down for the firtst time in his career and it looked like he was well on his way to his first defeat before it was stopped due to an accidental headbutt I beleive

Flawless fundamental skills, never held his hands below his chin, simialr style to JMM, in fact Nacho trained him too and for a little guy he packed some power

He destroyed Sorjaturong in 2 rounds during the time Sorjaturong was considered the next great champ, plus his fights with Alvarez (spelling) are one of my favs

He was great, I just dont recall him cleaning out any of the divisions, I could be wrong, that was a long time ago

Sorjaturong wasn't considered the next great champ until later. He pretty much came out of nowhere to beat Humberto Gonzalez.

Well, Lopez was kind of on the downside of his career when he took on Alvarez.

Humberto "Chiquita" Gonzalez

Did he ever have a boring fight?

Better yet, where any of the fights at GWF boring?

He actually beat Alvarez in the rematch by split decision. He also did fight at 108 and won the IBF title by beating Will Grigsby.

It was like watching a peice of art when he boxed. I truly belaive he is mexicos all time best. That division does not get the recognition it deserves.

Dominated 105, but the more fruitful challenges has always been a division above at 108. There always talk about him taking on Michael Carbajal and Humberto Gonzalez, but that never materialized. Unfortunate. His tremendous ability and dominance at 105 was something to behold.

To be fair he wanted to fight Chiquita.

But when asked Humberto always sad things like.

-the people dont want to see 2 of their own fight.
-Its not going to draw , it has to be a mexican against a foreigner for people to get behind it.

Pretty much it wa sChiquita who didnt want anithing of finito.

To be fair he wanted to fight Chiquita.

But when asked Humberto always sad things like.

-the people dont want to see 2 of their own fight.
-Its not going to draw , it has to be a mexican against a foreigner for people to get behind it.

Pretty much it wa sChiquita who didnt want anithing of finito.
I personally haven't heard that one (a source would be appreciated), but just about every fight I remember seeing of him was against a foreigner. (No, I don't want someone whose never seen Chiquita to go through Boxrec and find ONE Mexican he fought.)

Never heard of that either, it definitely doesnt sound like Gonzalez, I mean he did have those unforgettable wars with Carbajal who had a strong Mexican-American following

Yeah, that's what I thought. I mean, Carbajal was Mexican-American, so he technically was from another country, but I'd never heard of Gonzales saying something like that. Also, that wouldn't explain Lopez turning down the fight with Carbajal.

Back