How good was Maurice Smith in kickboxing?

LHWBelt

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Simple question, how good was Maurice Smith in kickboxing? Top 10? Was he ever one of the very best? Wikipedia makes it hard to be sure. I'm more of an mma fan so it's hard for me to really know. In MMA he had some really good low kicks and cardio but that was about it. It was enough to beat Mark Coleman and be world champ in the UFC which is crazy but in terms of his hands I'm not really sure what he had. In the UFC it was also his cardio game and ability to survive on the ground as he was a bit undersized and under skilled on the ground. If I recall Tank Abbott knocked him down in a fight but he recovered almost instantly so idk if that was kind of his thing too. Any thoughts on him from kickboxing fans?

well he had good victories over small HW´s like Mannaart,Longinidis and Hurricane Smith but wasnt able to beat any top guy(JLB,Hug,Aerts,Hoost,Bernardo) so he wasnt elite

his best performance against an Elite(JLB) was a decision loss in a competitive fight

well he had good victories over small HW´s like Mannaart,Longinidis and Hurricane Smith but wasnt able to beat any top guy(JLB,Hug,Aerts,Hoost,Bernardo) so he wasnt elite

his best performance against an Elite(JLB) was a decision loss in a competitive fight

Thanks mate, that's kind of what I gathered but he was from a pretty old era so I wasn't exactly sure.

he was a notable contender in USA only on te world stage he was very much less then significant, not usa is still far far behind in top viable kick box fighters, only a select few in any division can even fight top level guys...

Back