How good was Matt Hamill?

I've been re watching tuf 3 on fight pass and it got Me thinking about Matt 'The Hammer 'Hamill

What are peoples thoughts on him as a fighter and his skill level?

Notable wins:

Tim boetsch (tko)
Mark Munoz ( ko)
Jon Jones ( lol )
Keith Jardine ( decision)
Tito Ortiz ( decision)

Some decent wins there but he lost a fair few two.

How good was his wrestling?
On the show he was portrayed as very high level. Wiki says he was a 3 time ncaa division 3 champ. Is division 3 a lot lower level than 2 and 1? How do his credentials stack up?

The man is clearly an inspirational guy and what he was able to achieve dispite his disability is impressive.

Thoughts?
The fact he was strong and a wrestlers helped a lot.
it was also a time where people were not so well rounded, so he had a good advantage to dictate where the fight took place.

IMO he was good, not great.

Strong as fuck and I apologise for this term but like retard strength. Dude would just keep coming forward and it worked against most of his opponents. Very fun to watch when he was in his prime. He was a good fighter but he wasn't great

I've been re watching tuf 3 on fight pass and it got Me thinking about Matt 'The Hammer 'Hamill

What are peoples thoughts on him as a fighter and his skill level?

Notable wins:

Tim boetsch (tko)
Mark Munoz ( ko)
Jon Jones ( lol )
Keith Jardine ( decision)
Tito Ortiz ( decision)

Some decent wins there but he lost a fair few two.

How good was his wrestling?
On the show he was portrayed as very high level. Wiki says he was a 3 time ncaa division 3 champ. Is division 3 a lot lower level than 2 and 1? How do his credentials stack up?

The man is clearly an inspirational guy and what he was able to achieve dispite his disability is impressive.

Thoughts?
He was awful. A one trick pony that was figured out fast, his game never evolved.

Tough, strong and slow. A good wrestler with a strong punch and doesn't give up. Back when young once close to a title shot, but usually a upper mid-tier LHW. You'd have to take his disability into account, though. Affects everything from training to adapting in fights.

Terrible. He never listens to his corner.
giphy.gif

GOAT post-fight winning interview after Jon Jones.

Deaf, and concussed, he got KO'd and assumed he'd lost, Rogan forgot he was deaf, and Matt slurred some shit about his shoulder being the reason he lost, when he had actually won via a technicality... Brutally hilarious.

10 mins in:

I liked Matt, he was a hell of a wrestler... but watching Jon take Matt down, and transition to full mount was freakin amazing. Jones is a beast. To do what Jones did there to an elite wrestler on the ground is just amazing.

he has beaten the GOAT Ped cheat Jon JOnes so he is the GOAT

He was already over 30 when he began his MMA career. He's one of those "might have beens" if he had gotten in to it and trained earlier. His wrestling carried him but when he couldn't take someone down he was pretty lost against higher class opponents.

He was Tito's protege on TUF. Nothing special

He was awful. A one trick pony that was figured out fast, his game never evolved.
Your an ass.

he was at a competitor and not a lay down fight for anyone in the LHW division. He was ranked fighter in the top org and you say he was awful.

Shertards.

<{clintugh}>

The crowds gave ear deafening applause at his performances, so I guess he was really good.

*Insert deaf joke that is totally funny you guys*
<{nope}>

Back