How good was Matt Hamill?

Brit_Brawler

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I've been re watching tuf 3 on fight pass and it got Me thinking about Matt 'The Hammer 'Hamill

What are peoples thoughts on him as a fighter and his skill level?

Notable wins:

Tim boetsch (tko)
Mark Munoz ( ko)
Jon Jones ( lol )
Keith Jardine ( decision)
Tito Ortiz ( decision)

Some decent wins there but he lost a fair few two.

How good was his wrestling?
On the show he was portrayed as very high level. Wiki says he was a 3 time ncaa division 3 champ. Is division 3 a lot lower level than 2 and 1? How do his credentials stack up?

The man is clearly an inspirational guy and what he was able to achieve dispite his disability is impressive.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
He was a midcarder w early success like alot of brute strength wrestlers. Too limited for the longterm.

Big strong and talented, he needed the right team to carry him to the top though. Not surprised he didn’t last, this MMA shit is brutal out there lol.

I remember when he kicked Bisping's ass but was robbed because the fight was in England.

Very 1 dimensional. Not much talent, but did ok considering his limited skills

Very good wrestler , however he was rather unrefined as an overall mixed martial artist.

GOAT post-fight winning interview after Jon Jones.

Deaf, and concussed, he got KO'd and assumed he'd lost, Rogan forgot he was deaf, and Matt slurred some shit about his shoulder being the reason he lost, when he had actually won via a technicality... Brutally hilarious.

10 mins in:

not good at all. pure wrestler with zero else

He made it to the big show with a disability. Respect.

Good, not great. The Tito fight was his best performance. Say what you want about Ortiz, but he generally was competitive and only lost to the absolute best or very good fighters. Hamill surprisingly had very little trouble outwrestling him. I recall people giving Hamill a very real chance of beating Rampage, but that fight showed how he wasn't near that level. Hamill had some noncompetitive losses like that; Gustafsson, Franklin, and T. Silva as well.

He has wins over Bisping, Jones, Ortiz, Jardine etc etc. Enough said.

Dude was a power house just didnt put it all together....he's fighting in Edmonton in may.

WAR HAMMER!!

He's fighting Teddy Ash in the Edmonton area in May.
Just saying.

Good enough to resist the pull of the dark side.
tenor.gif

I remember him doing wrestling drills with bisping with his hands behind his back and bisping telling him to stop putting his hands behind his back. Still couldn’t take him down tho. Good times

Back