How good was Kid Yamamoto?

Honestly, I think he's over hyped considerably. If he fought today I think he'd be solid but nothing special. The division has gotten bigger and just better all around. I don't think he was too far out of his prime when he entered the UFC, the competition was just much improved.

Clearly he was still in his prime at 34 years old.

He'd just never seen the likes of world class athletes like Vaughan Lee (14-12) and Darren Uyenoyama (11-6).

Losing speed in the lighter division kills. Nowadays all the guys there are fast as fuck, and technically sound. Big reason why Urijah had to retire, even though it was clear that he wasn't really shot. Pickett on the other hand... He really should have retired after the Rivera fight imo, but can't blame him for sticking around a bit longer, he did give Almeida a pretty good fight not too long ago.
Yeah totally agreed man. Bj Penn is another example of that, I think the guys are just too fast for him at this stage, the speed difference between him and the other FW's is really big. If you lose your speed (only by a fraction) in those divisions you will suffer badly. guys like Cormier and Stipe I am sure when they are like 42 they will still be doing very well and I'm sure they will still be winning many fights...

He was a head of his time. I remember a lot of people wanted a match between him and BJ Penn years ago. Just because the competition has leveled out amongst the weight class today doesn't take away from the talent he was in his time. That can really be said for all good fighters.

We all wanted to see the Kid that we all knew from Japan in the UFC, but that version was gone. In his prime, the guy was a tornado. Always wanted to see Kid vs. Faber, both at the top of their game at the time. The two best FWs at the time by a large margin. It's too bad that never happened.

A straight beast..mannn if kid didn't take off time to train for the olympics and fuck up his elbow...he'd be in the goat discussion..back in his prime..him vs Faber was the dream match..even casuals (at that time) knew him

In terms of prime I think you need to remember that in his 18 months off post NYE 2007 he tried to get into the 2008 Japanese Olympic wrestling team to please his father only to have his arm messed up by a great takedown from one opponent in the qualifying, never looked close to as good on his MMA return well before he got to the UFC.

R E P O R T E D
E
P
O
R
T
E
D

AF
Ohh boy, you're gonna get it now. I'm going to report you so hard that I'll get an A+, I don't even care that it isn't that kind of report.

Off topic, but were you dissapointed in the fight between The People's Champion and The American Gangster? I wasn't, but I was sad.

Tito's body wasn't the only thing broken that night... <{boneytears}>

Yeah totally agreed man. Bj Penn is another example of that, I think the guys are just too fast for him at this stage, the speed difference between him and the other FW's is really big. If you lose your speed (only by a fraction) in those divisions you will suffer badly. guys like Cormier and Stipe I am sure when they are like 42 they will still be doing very well and I'm sure they will still be winning many fights...
That Yair fight was sad, and I'm not even a fan of BJ!

The speed difference was as clear as the sky. Why couldn't the fight with Miller get rebooked? Why?!

Ohh boy, you're gonna get it now. I'm going to report you so hard that I'll get an A+, I don't even care that it isn't that kind of report.

Off topic, but were you dissapointed in the fight between The People's Champion and The American Gangster? I wasn't, but I was sad.

Tito's body wasn't the only thing broken that night... <{boneytears}>

I was a bit let down tbh that fight was so underwhelming, I wanted to see Chael get smashed like the juice box. Was nice to see Tito go out on top though.

Goat manlet.

His sister is topnotch milf.

images

I was a bit let down tbh that fight was so underwhelming, I wanted to see Chael get smashed like the juice box. Was nice to see Tito go out on top though.
I knew it was over the moment that Chael went for the guillotine. I mean, what was he thinking? Tito isn't a guy like Shogun, he won't give you the choke easily! He hadn't been subbed in like a decade before the McGeary fight.

I was surprised by how stiff Chael looked on the feet tbh. That was the kind of fight where the guy that got on top was going to win. I'm just glad it didn't end up looking like Kongo vs Discount Cormier.

That Yair fight was sad, and I'm not even a fan of BJ!

The speed difference was as clear as the sky. Why couldn't the fight with Miller get rebooked? Why?!
I know, I said when the fight was made that it was disgusting match-making and the fight should not go ahead. I just knew that was gonna happen, it was sad to watch. Penn vs Miller or a guy like Gray Maynard would be much better. Shitttttttttt the way UFC match-makes these days we could get Penn vs Lamas next, which is so sad but to be honest I wouldn't even be surprised.

wide.jpg

I got into mma in 2009 and I didn't get a chance to watch him fight in his prime, the only times I saw Yamamoto fight was during his UFC run. How good was he, and what were his best fights?

He was always undersized compared to his opponents. 5'3, staggering 130lbs soaking wet. I don't think he ever had to cut weight.

And yet he ran through everyone. Like butta

Everyone liked him on sherdog at the time. I remember not liking him because in a couple of his fights, he would keep on hitting after the fight was obviously and clearly over.

Honestly, I think he's over hyped considerably. If he fought today I think he'd be solid but nothing special. The division has gotten bigger and just better all around. I don't think he was too far out of his prime when he entered the UFC, the competition was just much improved.

He already lost 2 of his last 3 fights in Japan before coming to the UFC, so he was already past his prime, & he had tons of injuries too. Kid was great for his time.

Of course the division has gotten better, thats the nature of the sport, its supposed to get better. A guy like Matt Hughes, even prime Matt Hughes in today's WW division probably can't even be top 5, but for his time, Hughes was an absolute beast, 1 of the greatest champions of all time in MMA, despite his limited standup.

Back