How good was Kid Yamamoto?

BC

Helax
@Gold
Reaction score
wide.jpg

I got into mma in 2009 and I didn't get a chance to watch him fight in his prime, the only times I saw Yamamoto fight was during his UFC run. How good was he, and what were his best fights?

Invincibility level, for the time period he had both elite striking and wrestling which was extremely rare. He was kind of like Cyborg in the sense that he was so dominant in MMA that he decided to test himself in a pure standup fight against an elite kickboxer.

wow TS even TUF noobs will call you noobs.

Invincibility level, for the time period he had both elite striking and wrestling which was extremely rare.

His resume looks legit, stopping Genki Sudo is impressive af.

Peak-wise one of the best 145ers ever and had to fight LWs as well. He was in the top 10 P4P by many at his best. A fight with Faber was always a dream match. Hell Faber talked about him during his post fight hetirement conference and how Kid was even more popular than Faber and how that was the one fight he wanted that didnt get in his career.

One of the few fighters in MMA history to have 3 top 10 wins in 3 different weight classes

In his purime before injuries he was 14-1, 12 finishes, 9 knockouts. "Loss" was a doctor stoppage off a cut in 30 secs not really legit

Wins over

- Jeff Curran (top 5 FW)
- Tetsuo Katsuta (top 5 FW, had gotten a decision over Pequeno who was the best FW in the world but lost to him a hematch)
- savaged Genki Sudo in the 1st round, who was easily a top 10 LW at the time and wouldve been very close if not top 5 had he not gotten robbed in UFC by Bang Ludwig in one of the WOAT decisions (also KOd Uno and Royler to win LW GP)
- Rani Yahya (top 5-10 BW)

Also destroyed Jadamba in 2 minutes but it was his debut, his only knockout loss still and hes one of the better FWs outside the UFC these days. KOd Miyata in 4 seconds and dominated Bibiano whos one of the best BWs in the world now

Also had the GOAT fight shorts which newbie fans wont know

uECq9R2.jpg

Last edited:
He was a thug ass mofo.

Was glad to see the little Greek Zambo knock him the fuck out.

Peak-wise one of the best 145ers ever and had to fight LWs as well. A fight with Faber was always a dream match. Hell Faber talked about him during his post fight hetirement conference and how Kid was even more popular than Faber and how that was the one fight he wanted that didnt get in his career.

One of the few fighters in MMA history to have 3 top 10 wins in 3 different weight classes

In his purime before injuries he was 14-1, 12 finishes, 9 knockouts. "Loss" was a doctor stoppage off a cut in 30 secs not really legit

Wins over

- Jeff Curran (top 5 FW)
- Tetsuo Katsuta (top 5 FW, had gotten a decision over Pequeno who was the best FW in the world but lost to him a hematch)
- savaged Genki Sudo in the 1st round, who was easily a top 10 LW at the time and wouldve been very close if not top 5 had he not gotten robbed in UFC by Bang Ludwig in one of the WOAT decisions (also KOd Uno and Royler to win LW GP)
- Rani Yahya (top 5-10 BW)

Also destroyed Jadamba in 2 minutes but it was his debut, his only knockout loss still and hes one of the better FWs outside the UFC these days. KOd Miyata in 4 seconds.

Also had the GOAT fight shorts which newbie fans wont know

uECq9R2.jpg

<mma4>
Thanks for the knowledge fam

Honestly, I think he's over hyped considerably. If he fought today I think he'd be solid but nothing special. The division has gotten bigger and just better all around. I don't think he was too far out of his prime when he entered the UFC, the competition was just much improved.

Too soon too late?
Way too soon. Sudo got dropped and went to the ground trying to get Yamamoto into his guard and like Yamatato landed a few shots while Sudo was defending and it got stopped. Sudo was fucking pissed lol.

XU83G8.gif

One of the best smaller guys in his Prime. Losing to Warren still breaks my heart!!!

Way too soon. Sudo got dropped and went to the ground trying to get Yamamoto into his guard and like Yamatato landed a few shots while Sudo was defending and it got stopped. Sudo was fucking pissed lol.

XU83G8.gif

<JerryWWF>

That's all bad

I still don't think this gets enough love in the greatest KOs ever discussion

It's fucking insane

Back