How good was David Tua in his prime???

LNwolf87

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
As an all around fight fan, I don't really follow Boxing as much as I do MMA. Therefore I am lacking knowledge in that sport. I'd like to ask hardcore boxing fans who have been following the sport of fisticuffs for years, How good was David Tua in his prime???

I know that he fought Lennox Lewis and couldn't touch him, and I know that he has helped Holyfield prepare for Tyson. Was he among the best in his era? could he have stood a chance to beat Tyson? How would a fight with Tyson have played out? What was he really great at? horrible? anything helps.

Great left hook and power, immense chin.

God awful reach and footwork.

Great left hook and power, immense chin.

God awful reach and footwork.
So who were the great power punchers that he fought but couldn't knock david tua out? was tua like the mark hunt of boxing? lol im only kidding

Limited. One dimensional. Big puncher and not a lot more.

Limited. One dimensional. Big puncher and not a lot more.

Great chin, though.

There's a school of thought (populated mainly by the type of fantasist who likes to present Ike Ibeabuchi as Teh Greatest Evah!) that Tua's fight with The President ruined him for life. Those people have never seen his earlier fights with Maskaev or Izon, who made him look like a statue before running out of steam late on.

Fun fighter with great power but certainly not on the level of Tyson or Holyfield or Lennox etc. The fight with madman Ike Ibeabuchi was amazing.
So who were the great power punchers that he fought but couldn't knock david tua out? was tua like the mark hunt of boxing? lol im only kidding
should probably say that Mark Hunt is the Mark Hunt of boxing http://boxrec.com/boxer/58555

How would he have matched up with Tyson post prison? They were the same build with immense power, would Tua have come out on top and outlasted Tyson because he had a better chin and more heart???

He declined pretty sharply after the ibeabuchi fight, it took a lot out of him. There was a total of 1,730 thrown in that fight, unbelievable for two big heavyweights.

Ike Ibeabuchi hit Tua with a lot of big shots and never floored him. Same goes for Ibeabuchi taking Tua's power.

His fight with Byrd was a big eye opener... Byrd just had him swinging and missing the entire fight.

Then the fight with Oqendo...
Oqendo would have costed to an easy victory if he didn't get cocky.

Great chin, though.

There's a school of thought (populated mainly by the type of fantasist who likes to present Ike Ibeabuchi as Teh Greatest Evah!) that Tua's fight with The President ruined him for life. Those people have never seen his earlier fights with Maskaev or Izon, who made him look like a statue before running out of steam late on.
The David Izonritei fight was awesome. I remember being glued to the TV during that one.

All i know is that he delivered two of the most gratifying beatdowns ever: cameron and ruiz

Underachiever, could of won a major title but missed just come up short. Had plenty of good wins though.

Prime Tyson would have wrecked Tua. Post prison Tyson would have probably still beaten Tua, but Tua would have a decent chance if he survives the early shootout and Tyson's conditioning wasn't up to par IMO.

Back