How good was Anderson Silva really?

Longest win streak in UFC history. He ruled the division past his prime even. He took on LHW's along the way too.

Well he lost to Weidman who can’t buy a win in todays MMA

Really makes you think
Isn’t Weidman like 1-6 against non past their prime BRazillians?
For all his talk about other fighters, in particular Vitor, and PEDs Chris is not looking that good after USADA and IV bans.

He came along at the right time with Anderson slipping just enough and USADA not a factor.

In his prime he was untouchable by anyone 205 and below.
All time GOAT:

1. Anderson
2. GSP
3. Fedor
4. DC (could move up)

The competition wasn't as strong as it is today, but he still fought a lot of great fighters and absolutely embarrassed them. He was crazy good. He just got old, basically. Prime Anderson probably beats a lot of today's top MW.

He was phenomenal.

Second best fighter of his generation, after GSP.

GSP is the GOAT and would've crushed Anderson.

Anderson is top 5 worst case tho.

is this the SAME GSP that got touched up by Johny 30% Hendricks and Jake Flailing Wildly Shields? Fuck outta here with that dumb shit. GSP had plenty of chances to fight A. Silva when they were both in their primes and turned it down for obvious reasons.

GSP was a great fighter, no doubt, but that jab, shoot and hold down shit would not have played out too well against a longer, faster, A. Silva with impeccable timing.

Other than when he had that documented rib injury against Chael, and when he was WAY past his prime against The Chris, no one was able to hold down A. Silva for any appreciable length of time and/or do damage.

Once again, fuck outta here with that dumb shit.

The end.

So a man can get popped for PEDs once and then his entire career is called in to question?
It's pretty much how Sherdog works. Never mind all the other women and men who compete roided to the gills and haven't gotten caught yet. I'm no roid expert, but I know quite a few people who use and have used. it's very easy to pass the tests if you know what you are doing. I've heard estimates as high as 65%-80% for steroid use (at the highest levels) in MMA.

They are mainly for recovery. They are not going to make your reflexes faster or turn your chin into titanium. It just allows you to practice more times. It's cheating. I get it. I don't like it personally, but unfortunately, like many major sports, it's part of the game.

It's just annoying that the stars that get caught are vilified, and people you know DAMN well are taking similar shit, but smart/lucky enough not to get caught, get no scrutiny because the USADA hasn't caught then yet. If people have been paying attention AT ALL, they would realized the USADA testing is FAR FROM PERFECT.

Rant over.

It's pretty much how Sherdog works. Never mind all the other women and men who compete roided to the gills and haven't gotten caught yet. I'm no roid expert, but I know quite a few people who use and have used. it's very easy to pass the tests if you know what you are doing. I've heard estimates as high as 65%-80% for steroid use (at the highest levels) in MMA.

They are mainly for recovery. They are not going to make your reflexes faster or turn your chin into titanium. It just allows you to practice more times. It's cheating. I get it. I don't like it personally, but unfortunately, like many major sports, it's part of the game.

It's just annoying that the stars that get caught are vilified, and people you know DAMN well are taking similar shit, but smart/lucky enough not to get caught, get no scrutiny because the USADA hasn't caught then yet. If people have been paying attention AT ALL, they would realized the USADA testing is FAR FROM PERFECT.

Rant over.
That was the most level headed rant about PEDs I've so far read on sherdog.
Fair analysis.

Anderson is obviously seen as one of the greatest of all time but prime for prime, is he the best middleweight that has ever fought?

His UFC run is legendary but could he do that today in this era of Romero's and Weidman's?

Is Anderson #1 ?

discuss

Since the sport is relatively young and still evolving, you can't just take a fighter from another era, insert them into the current scene, then say "if they aren't the very best today, they must be overrated." That said, I think prime Anderson beats Whittaker and probably matrixes Romero (unless he chose to wrestle 5 rounds, which he never seems to do). If anyone could perfectly time and counter Yoel's superman punches and flying knees it's Anderson circa 2006-2012.

He's definitely not GOAT tier, he's a tier below the likes of GSP, Fedor and Jones (excluding failed PED tests) simply because of his wrestling. Silva was lucky there wasn't a GSP, Fedor, Jones, DC ect in his weight class becuase the Anderson we know wouldn't exist. He was lucky Chael had shit striking and bad sub defense.

Tier below the GOAT's.

Who was the best wrestler Fedor fought? LHW Randleman who had a 0.500 record? A 40+ year old Coleman who left the UFC years earlier on a 3-loss streak? That's not really a fair comparison since Anderson fought big wrestlers in his weight class (Hendo, Sonnen, Weidman) who were still in their prime. Yes, it was a weakness, but Fedor might have struggled against Cain and Cormier if he fought them.

Who was the best wrestler Fedor fought? LHW Randleman who had a 0.500 record? A 40+ year old Coleman who left the UFC years earlier on a 3-loss streak? That's not really a fair comparison since Anderson fought big wrestlers in his weight class (Hendo, Sonnen, Weidman) who were still in their prime. Yes, it was a weakness, but Fedor might have struggled against Cain and Cormier if he fought them.
Yeah you're right about Fedor, but you can't label Hendo as any sort of elite or even great wrestler in MMA.

No guys in MMA history would be considered bad match ups P4P for prime GSP and Jones outside of a punchers chance. That's why Anderson isn't in the GOAT tier.

Last edited:
Well he lost to Weidman who can’t buy a win in todays MMA

Really makes you think
Isn’t Weidman like 1-6 against non past their prime BRazillians?

Weidman is no longer on his special supplements.

Silva had a handful of top-tier wins ie Vitor Belfort, Forrest Griffin, Okami

To me the golden moments of Silva’s era came against Franklin and Henderson though. Those fight were how I define Silva’s greatness over time.

Back